Should a Middle School teacher be expected to spell words right?

ennam_iv

To me it shows laziness more so than a lack of intelligence. I know a lot of brilliant people who can't spell words well, but they are thoughtful and meticulous enough in their writing to spell-check and grammar-check things before sending them. If you are typing a bio that people are going to read, I would think you'd diligently have it combed over to avoid, at the very least, simple misspelled words.

I hear you and agree on one level, but there are more than just misspelled words.

"of having you child in my..."

"I hope that by the end of the year, you child will have a..."

...and there are more.

I feel that certain basics are a must IF you are a teacher, regardless of the subject. How can the kids be held accountable if not?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear you and agree on one level, but there are more than just misspelled words.

"of having you child in my..."

"I hope that by the end of the year, you child will have a..."

...and there are more.

I feel that certain basics are a must IF you are a teacher, regardless of the subject. How can the kids be held accountable if not?

I agree.

It appears they did it on their phone as I have found I misplace letters surrounding the correct ones on my phone keyboard. I think they just rushed through it and didnt take the time to proofread which is just BAD IMO.

Atleast they were'nt saying things that drive me nuts like......We was or you was or they was....dangling participles, etc

I would send them an email telling them how ridiculous they appear so they dont make the same mistake next year. LOL

That is analogous? She teaches Math / Social studies, not English. If she can't do division or doesn't know the components of our government, I agree with you.

She's an educator. An educator. One, who at the minimum, should be able to use spellcheck. Bad form either way.

I am guilty of posting and/or sending emails that I type quickly where my brain is thinking one thing, but my fingers type another. Sometimes, even after a proofread, I will miss something. However, if I am posting my bio, I would take the time to get it right.