Should a Middle School teacher be expected to spell words right?

ennam_iv

Should a Middle School teacher (with more than 10 years teaching experience, a BA and a Masters degree) be expected to spell correctly... and use correct grammar and punctuation? How many misspelled words are acceptable on their staff directory profile?

A teacher at my son's school has at least 12 misspelled words and grammar and punctuation errors that, honestly, have me startled. Is this acceptable?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should a Middle School teacher (with more than 10 years teaching experience, a BA and a Masters degree) be expected to spell correctly... and use correct grammar and punctuation? How many misspelled words are acceptable on their staff directory profile?

A teacher at my son's school has at least 12 misspelled words and grammar and punctuation errors that, honestly, have me startled. Is this acceptable?

Is this an online directory? If so, I'd imagine the teachers themselves don't put it together. That's usually done by an IT person, and typically is edited before it goes live.

Can you post her profile in here without giving her name so we can all read it?

I've crafted this response a couple of times because I want it to come across the right way: I don't have any expectation that teachers are smarter than any other adult regardless of occupation.

I've crafted this response a couple of times because I want it to come across the right way: I don't have any expectation that teachers are smarter than any other adult regardless of occupation.

True... and I agree. But, there does need to be a standard, right?

^Ehh, it's bad, but dude's a history teacher. Most likely rushed through it to get something put together and just didn't spell check it.

Either way, I don't think it's an issue. Don't have to be great at grammar to teach history. I know I had some accounting professors that couldn't spell to save their life. Still knew their stuff when it came to taxation or audit theory.

Come on. That's like me not knowing what tooth the canine is.

True... and I agree. But, there does need to be a standard, right?

To me it shows laziness more so than a lack of intelligence. I know a lot of brilliant people who can't spell words well, but they are thoughtful and meticulous enough in their writing to spell-check and grammar-check things before sending them. If you are typing a bio that people are going to read, I would think you'd diligently have it combed over to avoid, at the very least, simple misspelled words.