Jim Hilvert leaves Thomas More - why?

BOKC Wildcat

Someone please help me understand why LaSalle HS can pay more money than a Div III College Program with a history of success? Or is that not correct and he is taking a pay cut?

I would imagine LaSalle is in a position to have the Boosters actively involved where Thomas More wouldn't even consider such a thing.

Someone please help me understand why LaSalle HS can pay more money than a Div III College Program with a history of success? Or is that not correct and he is taking a pay cut?

Pay raise. Sounds like a significant pay raise.

Boosters

Priorities

• 3 weeks later...
I have no clue why Coach Hilvert left but I can only assume in his opinion the LaSalle job is a better job than the Thomas More job.

LaSalle should be a title contender every year and unless Thomas More does something to get some better players on the team they have no chance to compete for a D3 title.

I know they have some great players and I know they have won a lot of games but if you start breaking it down they are touchdowns away from the Wisconsin-Whitewater's and the Mount Union's of the D3 world.

I have broadcasted playoff games at Mount Union since the mid 2000's, seen playoff games in person (National Semifinals) and commented on some of the games for D3football.com in podcasts. I have seen Mount Union play Wheaton, Wesley and Mary Hardin-Baylor to name a few. From what I have seen: Thomas More has the skill guys to compete at a Mount Union level. The only thing they are missing is interior line play which Whitewater and Mount Union have. Whitewater is a whole different animal with their size but Mount Union uses their roster size to develop lineman who usually see meaningful game action for the last season or two of their careers. Although Whitewater is limited in roster size to 100, Mount Union is not limited so they develop their guys through the JV program using the Larry Kehres Way. Thomas More is alot closer to being a Wesley (who can't seem to get over the mental hurdle that is Mount Union/Whitewater) than they are to the Purple Powers in Whitewater and Alliance.

To me, the key is recruiting and development of athletes who happen to play interior line positions and can bulk up while maintaining their quickness. Easier said than done at the D3 level -- if you have size or potential to bulk up as a HS senior, you're usually getting looked at by the scholarship giving schools.

I have broadcasted playoff games at Mount Union since the mid 2000's, seen playoff games in person (National Semifinals) and commented on some of the games for D3football.com in podcasts. I have seen Mount Union play Wheaton, Wesley and Mary Hardin-Baylor to name a few. From what I have seen: Thomas More has the skill guys to compete at a Mount Union level. The only thing they are missing is interior line play which Whitewater and Mount Union have. Whitewater is a whole different animal with their size but Mount Union uses their roster size to develop lineman who usually see meaningful game action for the last season or two of their careers. Although Whitewater is limited in roster size to 100, Mount Union is not limited so they develop their guys through the JV program using the Larry Kehres Way. Thomas More is alot closer to being a Wesley (who can't seem to get over the mental hurdle that is Mount Union/Whitewater) than they are to the Purple Powers in Whitewater and Alliance.

To me, the key is recruiting and development of athletes who happen to play interior line positions and can bulk up while maintaining their quickness. Easier said than done at the D3 level -- if you have size or potential to bulk up as a HS senior, you're usually getting looked at by the scholarship giving schools.

In other words you agree with me. :)

Yes -- and they were getting closer as evidenced by their near-misses AT Wesley and St John Fisher to start the seasons in two of the last three years. At a glance, the kids are more athletic on the line and they are bigger. We'll see what the new coach can do with this opportunity. The cupboard is definitely not bare in Crestview Hills. I'm excited for the new direction.

Being very familiar with Wesley College (it's in my home town), I'd say Thomas More is in a slightly better position because it is located in an area with a better recruiting base. It's proximity to Cincinnati/Ohio football gives it easy access to solid recruits who only have to pay tuition, not room and board. Wesley's location (Dover, DE) doesn't lend itself to a bunch of hometown talent and it competes heavily with two D1-AA schools within 30 miles.

Wisconsin-Whitewater is also a public school with a lot cheaper tuition than most D3 schools.

yes they are BUT, they are subject to the budget cuts in the University System. Whitewater is scheduled for the biggest percentage cut in the system at 18.6% which is $6.41M. This will affect their athletics program as it will affect the University as a whole.

http://http://host.madison.com/proposed-uw-budget-cuts-by-campus/pdf_ef167d37-da1d-55e8-aba6-3009569da88e.html