Peyton Manning = Willie Mays?

We have been very lucky to witness first hand one of the all time greatest QB's in the history of the NFL.

Peyton Manning has been at times unstoppable as he has set record after record throughout his career.

Now however it has become crystal clear he is at the end of his career. Just watching him struggle the last month of the season alone reminded me of one of my favorite baseball players growing up and watching his decline right before our eyes. Willie Mays, arguably the best baseball player to ever play or at least in the top 3, but at the end of his career it was sad to watch someone who was so great at the sport you loved decline before your very eyes. Peyton Manning is doing that right now and I hope he doesn't come back and try to continue his career next year because I'm afraid if he does he will go down the same path Willie Mays did and that is struggle to do what used to come so easy for him.

I am hoping Peyton retires just so we can remember him for the way he played when he was at the top of his game rather than watch his decline every Sunday.

Peyton really started struggling after the ST Louis game, and by the time the Bengals faced hiim, he was a shadow of his old self and it was sad to see. He had no velocity on his passes and you could tell he changed his game and only attempted throws he thought he could make instead of the throws he used to make. I hope he calls it quits and just goes out without trying to prove to himself he can still play when it clearly looks like it is time.

I agree with your sentiment but I don't think it's fair to compare him to Willie.

Willie hit .184 and .211 in 2 of his last 3 seasons. While PM has struggled it is not nearly to the same extent.

If he comes back next year he will have another strong stat-wise season unlike Willie's last few years. However, it will not be at the expected level for Peyton.

I get the sentiment and I probably lean your way in hoping he retires.

I agree with your sentiment but I don't think it's fair to compare him to Willie.

Willie hit .184 and .211 in 2 of his last 3 seasons. While PM has struggled it is not nearly to the same extent.

If he comes back next year he will have another strong stat-wise season unlike Willie's last few years. However, it will not be at the expected level for Peyton.

I get the sentiment and I probably lean your way in hoping he retires.

What I'm saying is I don't want Peyton to come back and end up going out the same way Willie did. I want Peyton to retire now before it gets to that. That's what I meant.

You are right, it's two different sports and stats are totally different etc. Even if Peyton comes back and finishes in the top 15 of QB's it is still a shell of what we are used to out of Peyton. Yes a 80% Peyton is still better than 80% of the QB's in the league, but I don't want to remember his playing days that way. An 80% Peyton would not be a player Peyton himself would want.

I think it depends on whether the decline in performance is due to long term, or short term injury issues. Also, Peyton's record in cold weather games is just not very good (mostly in the post season). I still think he could be very good, especially for a team with a dome, but clearly , his days as an HOF caliber QB are over. I could still name 12 starting QBs in the NFL I would not take over PM next year.

So HB, who would you take on the Bengals next year, AD in his prime, or an aging PM???????????

Being reported by ESPN that he played through a torn quad since week 15

That makes a lot of sense. He just couldn't throw the ball and when he played the Bengals he looked horrible. They would have been better off that game by sitting him and playing their backup he was that bad.

Being reported by ESPN that he played through a torn quad since week 15

That would make sense.

Here's a question I have if that's true....Did he ever appear on the injury report? Doesn't that have to be disclosed even if he's going to play? I've been under the impression that they have to disclose all injuries.

That would make sense.

Here's a question I have if that's true....Did he ever appear on the injury report? Doesn't that have to be disclosed even if he's going to play? I've been under the impression that they have to disclose all injuries.

Like Brady's 10-year shoulder injury? :lol:

Hey, at least they disclose it! :lol2:

Oh, and Jumper, take note: I did not bring up Brady in this thread. Just wanted to put that out there in case you decide my posts don't meet your standards.

A Pats fan questioning the process of reporting injuries... :lol2:

:lol2: They might tend to over-report injuries, but they report them.

I was honestly asking a serious question. What is the NFL's stance on reporting injuries? Promise, didn't have a hidden agenda.

Belichick, from what I've heard, hates that he has to report injuries so he makes a mockery of the process by reporting things no other team reports. Not sure if that's still the case...

As for the specific rules, idk.

That would make sense.

I've always thought that if there is a chance they won't play they are supposed to disclose the injuries. It doesn't sound like that was ever the case though.