AJ McCarron

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady's arm is much better than either Dalton or McCarron's, and he's incredibly accurate.

Again, they were saying the same thing about Brady, out of college, he was ranked below, or average, in arm strength coming out of college, that's my point. McCarron should be given at least a chance.:whistling:

We know who Andy Dalton is. Marvin tried to tighten the strings and control him more this year and it was worse. He threw about the same number of INT's and had a huge drop in TD's and total yards. This year was a step back for Dalton. It looked to me like this year they told Dalton to make your pre-snap read and get rid of the ball. It didn't work. I would rather see Dalton hold the ball a little longer and try to go downfield more. At least that way you get big plays and you stretch the defense. If we are going to get the INT's regardless, then let's at least get more big plays and TD's.

All that being said, I am all for giving McCarron a legit shot at it. I think it would be good for the team to see Dalton isn't just getting handed to the job. No other position gets to keep their job regardless of performance. There is nothing more that can be accomplished with trying to improve Dalton. Spend this off season gearing up McCarron like he is the starter, give him the majority of the pre-season snaps and let's see if he has anything. I know, I know ... not going to happen, but I wish it would.

Two Heisman Trophy winners and potentially two national championship winning QB's in Winston and Mariota aren't "big time Qb's?" Not saying anything will change, just disagree with that part of your post.

Yes. they are Big Time QB's in college, and I do like Mariota, but don't think either will be a top 10-15 QB in the NFL, any time soon, Mariota, might end up being one, but I have my reservations about both, especially Winston. Wouldn't bank my future on either. Can't see either as a Luck, Elway, Marino, Manning type.

Yes. they are Big Time QB's in college, and I do like Mariota, but don't think either will be a top 10-15 QB in the NFL, any time soon, Mariota, might end up being one, but I have my reservations about both, especially Winston. Wouldn't bank my future on either. Can't see either as a Luck, Elway, Marino, Manning type.

I keep having this suspicion that Mariota is just another system QB. Watching him in the first playoff game, he missed several wide open targets and did nothing throwing the ball that really impressed me. I will not be one bit surprised if his stock drops as the NFL evaluation period gears up.

I keep having this suspicion that Mariota is just another system QB. Watching him in the first playoff game, he missed several wide open targets and did nothing throwing the ball that really impressed me. I will not be one bit surprised if his stock drops as the NFL evaluation period gears up.

agreed. :thumb:

I'd love for AJ McCarron to get a shot. I also am a fan of Baylor's QB Bryce Petty and he has gotten some low grades when it comes to his NFL prospects. I think simply saying a guy isn't the answer without giving them a chance is pretty silly.

Is AJ McCarron flashy, answer no, does he have a big arm, answer no. is he a great runner, and thrower on the move, answer no. He did however play in the best conf. in college football, and won two National Championship, and was the Heisman runner up. He at least deserves a shot. Not to mention his wife is smokin hot, and she'll get more face time on TV as well, which as Marvin likes to say, is a good thing. Right Brent Musburger :up:

Because he doesn't have a single skill in his skill-set that Dalton doesn't have. The biggest knock on Dalton is his (lack there of) arm strength. McCarron has very similar arm strength.

Biggest knock on Andy is his inability to handle the big game. McCarron has shown he can. Forget arm strength, I'm talking about accuracy on the 20 to 30 yard passes. Seems like McCarron handled those well enough but AD struggles with them.

Was it a playoff game? No. It was a regular season home game.

He said a big game. It was a big game. And he won. And in prime time. If Andy wins a playoff game next year, and loses in the 2nd round, there will be his next hurdle with you guys. The Dalton saga passed comedy a couple of mile markers back.

Biggest knock on Andy is his inability to handle the big game. McCarron has shown he can. Forget arm strength, I'm talking about accuracy on the 20 to 30 yard passes. Seems like McCarron handled those well enough but AD struggles with them.

In college? Really? That means he'll be able to do it in the NFL? Dalton won the Rose Bowl in college, isn't that a big game?

In college? Really? That means he'll be able to do it in the NFL? Dalton won the Rose Bowl in college, isn't that a big game?

A Blind Dog finds a bone once in a while too. So because Andy Dalton, against a bunch of players in college, who he beat, who aren't in the NFL, that makes him a good QB in the NFL, just because. You can do better then that can't ya Tang? :sssh:

No way to tell until he gets out there. McCarron always showed a coolness in those big games, and he played many of them. Don't believe AD ever played for a NC.

Bottom line is AD has proven that so far he struggles in these types of game. McCarron has shown he doesn't. I'm not saying make the change but I sure would give AJ a chance to win the job.