AJ McCarron

No way to tell until he gets out there. McCarron always showed a coolness in those big games, and he played many of them. Don't believe AD ever played for a NC.

Bottom line is AD has proven that so far he struggles in these types of game. McCarron has shown he doesn't. I'm not saying make the change but I sure would give AJ a chance to win the job.

AJ is not the answer. Sure he won some games with Alabama. But he was never considered the reason Alabama won as much as they did. If anything, he was pretty much a game manager, not the guy they asked to go out and win the game. He benefited from great running games, great O-lines and a superior defense. Frankly, he didn't have to do much. Ultimately, he was a 5th round pick, and many wouldn't have been surprised if he hadn't gotten drafted at all. The Bengals thought so much of him that they brought in a journeyman QB (Jason Campbell) to be the back up. Mcarron, at best, Daulton's equal. I wouldn't be surprised if Mcarron never starts a game in the NFL. Most first round QB's don't become stars in the NFL. 5th rounders almost never do.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Blind Dog finds a bone once in a while too. So because Andy Dalton, against a bunch of players in college, who he beat, who aren't in the NFL, that makes him a good QB in the NFL, just because. You can do better then that can't ya Tang? :sssh:

If you can find me one time where I said Dalton was a good NFL QB, please show me.

I'm saying just because McCarron won big games in college doesn't mean he can do it in the NFL. As proof of that, I showed that Dalton won big games in college, and he clearly can't do it in the NFL.

Why so? I want whoever can get us to the playoffs and win. AJ has the added bonus of face time for his wife if he's playing. :D

I'm not talent scout, I just don't think he's a step up from Dalton. If we are going to experiment with a new QB, I'd rather it be someone with a big arm and better upside than I feel McCarron has.

No way to tell until he gets out there. McCarron always showed a coolness in those big games, and he played many of them. Don't believe AD ever played for a NC.

Bottom line is AD has proven that so far he struggles in these types of game. McCarron has shown he doesn't. I'm not saying make the change but I sure would give AJ a chance to win the job.

McCarron has not shown he doesn't. If you're seriously trying to compare college games to NFL playoff games this is a pointless conversation. They aren't anywhere close to the same thing.

McCarron has not shown he doesn't. If you're seriously trying to compare college games to NFL playoff games this is a pointless conversation. They aren't anywhere close to the same thing.

I think that if a person can handle the pressures of multiple big games in college, it indicates a strength that should allow him to handle them in the pros. I think we should at least give him the chance so we can find out.

Actually, I think the NC in college sure is equivalent to a wild card in the pros. Probably more people watching on TV anyway. Millions of people watching, maybe a 100,000 frantic fans live, a NC championship on the line. Tremendous pressure.

Why are you against giving AJ a chance to earn the spot?

I'm not talent scout, I just don't think he's a step up from Dalton. If we are going to experiment with a new QB, I'd rather it be someone with a big arm and better upside than I feel McCarron has.

Like who? McCarron is here, doesn't cost anything to find out. If someone else were realistically available I would be all for finding out if they are a better option than AD.

ALL you Who-Deyers are delusional if you think Marvin, and Andy are going anywhere, even after next season, regardless of how the season goes. There aren't any big time QB's coming out this season, or next, Mike Brown loves Marvin, and is happy with the statuesque. I repeat noting is going to change with this organization, until the fans stand-up and say no more. Stop buying season tickets, and PSL's, you might start getting Mikey's boy's attention. Until this happens, Mike Brown is content with just being relevant into Dec. It's strictly a business to him, and making money, which you clowns keep buying, year after year. Nothing is going to change, I repeat nothing. :idunno:

Perfect

I think that if a person can handle the pressures of multiple big games in college, it indicates a strength that should allow him to handle them in the pros. I think we should at least give him the chance so we can find out.

Actually, I think the NC in college sure is equivalent to a wild card in the pros. Probably more people watching on TV anyway. Millions of people watching, maybe a 100,000 frantic fans live, a NC championship on the line. Tremendous pressure.

Why are you against giving AJ a chance to earn the spot?

Sure give him a shot. But I really don't understand why anyone would expect much from him. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he isn't even on the roster next year.

Sure give him a shot. But I really don't understand why anyone would expect much from him. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he isn't even on the roster next year.

Neither would I, and I don't expect much either. I just would like to know what we have as an alternate.

McCarron may not be the answer but I don't see why so many on this thread are so quick to say he can't play. I don't think anyone has seen him play at the pro level yet. He absolutely could not be any worse than AD. Maybe if he went to OSU or UC, people on here would be screaming for him.

McCarron may not be the answer but I don't see why so many on this thread are so quick to say he can't play. I don't think anyone has seen him play at the pro level yet. He absolutely could not be any worse than AD. Maybe if he went to OSU or UC, people on here would be screaming for him.

Why would you believe he could be the answer?? Take Tom Brady out of the mix, and QB's drafted after the 3rd round have an abysmal record, winning right around 35% of the games they've started. More than half of them never even play a game in the NFL. Quick, besides Brady, name another elite or even serviceable QB taken in the 5th round or later? Dalton may not be great, but the given history, the chances that Mcarron is better are slim to none. I've got no problem giving him a chance.

Take a look at the last 20 years of QB's drafted by round here FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | NFL Draft: Round-by-Round QB Study

I'm not defending Andy Dalton. He's clearly not the answer and cannot carry a team. But there starters in the league worse than him, and he is without a doubt the best they have on their roster right now. Don't let your dislike of Dalton make you think Mcarron is better than he is.

Its really simple people. Like it or not Dalton will be the starter going into next season. Now if the Bengals struggle and suck early, especially Dalton then we may say a change. However there won't be any change to start next year, so don't get your hopes up. I would love to see McCarron get a shot though.

Why would you believe he could be the answer?? Take Tom Brady out of the mix, and QB's drafted after the 3rd round have an abysmal record, winning right around 35% of the games they've started. More than half of them never even play a game in the NFL. Quick, besides Brady, name another elite or even serviceable QB taken in the 5th round or later? Dalton may not be great, but the given history, the chances that Mcarron is better are slim to none. I've got no problem giving him a chance.

Take a look at the last 20 years of QB's drafted by round here FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | NFL Draft: Round-by-Round QB Study

I'm not defending Andy Dalton. He's clearly not the answer and cannot carry a team. But there starters in the league worse than him, and he is without a doubt the best they have on their roster right now. Don't let your dislike of Dalton make you think Mcarron is better than he is.

For the record, I do not dislike Dalton. I just think that AJ would at least be as good. At this point, would it hurt to give him a look in camp and see?? How do you know he is the best on the roster? Are you secretly a Bengals QB coach or are you a scout?

For the record, I do not dislike Dalton. I just think that AJ would at least be as good. At this point, would it hurt to give him a look in camp and see?? How do you know he is the best on the roster? Are you secretly a Bengals QB coach or are you a scout?

You got me.....I always had hoped I could keep my identity secret. I hope Mike Brown doesn't see this thread and fire me ;-)

Do I know for sure Dalton is better than AJ?? I guess not. No one has seen AJ play. But lets be real. AJ was a 5th round pick and late round QB's not named Tom Brady don't last in the league long, let alone become solid starters. He's not a first round talent that slipped a couple spots. No other team felt he was worthy of a high pick. Dalton was at least a second round pick and has experienced some success in the NFL. Not many QB's make the playoff's 4 times in their career, let alone 4 consecutive times. If Dalton gets cut today, I'm willing to bet he'd end up starting somewhere next season. If they cut AJ, there's a chance he's out of the league, and zero chance he's starting somewhere else.