Newport Catholic at Dixie Heights Predictions 12/2

Walter

Who wins?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Breds will take their preseason #1 ranking and head to Crestview Hills Tuesday night in one of the better games of the first week.

Newcath has dominated this game the past couple years and the Colonels will be without Moore and Hedger.

Who wins and why?

I just hope Dixie can keep it respectable.

As you said, Dixie will be without both Moore 6'4 and Hedger 6'5... 2 starters. There aren't many teams that can go into a game down 2 starters (especially with that kind of size) and expect to win.

Dixie will look to improve as the season moves along. This is the first year these guys will be playing without Hatton, so, there will be some roles that need to get defined. Who will step up? How will they work together? And then they get the football players back mid December, which will take awhile for them to get into basketball mode and mesh with the team. This Dixie team at the start of the season will be vastly different than what we see from them at the end. Dixie has a LOT of room to grow.

NCC, on the other hand will be firing on all cylinders, as they do every season at the beginning. They get to scrimmage over the summer against college players, they have had all their key players in the gym from day 1. They will be fun to watch as usual. I don't think they will make significant growth over the season, just as we've seen over the last 2 seasons. Sure, they will get some key bench/depth players from the football team, but it's not like they have to open the season missing 2 starters.

My pick is NCC (hopefully not in a blowout)

Will be interesting to see if Chevy goes with some zone to prevent Newcath from jumping out to a big lead like they have early in the past few match ups.....Dixie has the size to match up with Newcath but I think they would struggle a little to play uptempo with Newcath for 4 quarters. Breds thrive in transition because of how well their bigs run the floor.

Mitchell Bolin will have to be a factor at both ends. With his size and length, he has the ability to impact a game at both ends with his presence the way Schulte did for Newcath last year.

Rabe/Schreck v Pangallo/Moeves will be a pretty good match up.

I just hope Dixie can keep it respectable.

As you said, Dixie will be without both Moore 6'4 and Hedger 6'5... 2 starters. There aren't many teams that can go into a game down 2 starters (especially with that kind of size) and expect to win.

Dixie will look to improve as the season moves along. This is the first year these guys will be playing without Hatton, so, there will be some roles that need to get defined. Who will step up? How will they work together? And then they get the football players back mid December, which will take awhile for them to get into basketball mode and mesh with the team. This Dixie team at the start of the season will be vastly different than what we see from them at the end. Dixie has a LOT of room to grow.

NCC, on the other hand will be firing on all cylinders, as they do every season at the beginning. They get to scrimmage over the summer against college players, they have had all their key players in the gym from day 1. They will be fun to watch as usual. I don't think they will make significant growth over the season, just as we've seen over the last 2 seasons. Sure, they will get some key bench/depth players from the football team, but it's not like they have to open the season missing 2 starters.

My pick is NCC (hopefully not in a blowout)

How can you suggest NewCath doesn't have as much room to grow as Dixie? If these talented players don't continue to learn and get better, those who play college will never see the floor and the underclassmen are in for a long high school career. I beg to differ. There is always room to continue to improve. It's just that NewCath is starting ahead of Dixie in December and will hopefully still be ahead in March, with both teams improving.

How can you suggest NewCath doesn't have as much room to grow as Dixie? If these talented players don't continue to learn and get better, those who play college will never see the floor and the underclassmen are in for a long high school career. I beg to differ. There is always room to continue to improve. It's just that NewCath is starting ahead of Dixie in December and will hopefully still be ahead in March, with both teams improving.

I didn't say NCC would not progress during the season. And I did not say individual players will not get better over the remainder of their career.

NCC, as they have shown the last 2 seasons, starts the year hitting on all cylinders, but have not improved significantly as the season wears on. Whereas other teams do at a more significant rate... over the course of the season... as a team... as evidenced by them not living up to expectations at the end of the last 2 seasons.

I didn't say NCC would not progress during the season. And I did not say individual players will not get better over the remainder of their career.

NCC, as they have shown the last 2 seasons, starts the year hitting on all cylinders, but have not improved significantly as the season wears on. Whereas other teams do at a more significant rate... over the course of the season... as a team... as evidenced by them not living up to expectations at the end of the last 2 seasons.

Not living up to expectations the last 2 seasons?

IF NCC didn't live up to expectations, what about Dixie? With the number of boys at Dixie (Compared to NCC) did Dixie live up to expectations or are their standards just lower?

Not living up to expectations the last 2 seasons?

IF NCC didn't live up to expectations, what about Dixie? With the number of boys at Dixie (Compared to NCC) did Dixie live up to expectations or are their standards just lower?

I believe you can only 5 at a time......