Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cordia 2014/2015

Featured Replies

The problem I have with some of the opinions on here is several seem to equate the Cordia scrunity, investigation, and KHSAA rulings with 'scale'. That the reason Cordia is more in violation than others is that they have had more transfers in a shorter period that other schools who have also received transfers. So, I suppose if Cordia had just a couple of transfers instead of 10 or 12, then it wouldn't have drawn so much attention, it would be on a lesser "scale". The other schools (many who are doing the same thing) wouldn't make such a big fuss about it, and neither would the KHSAA.

 

Obviously, Cordia didn't play by the acceptable rules of the 'transfers/recruiting' game. Keep it small and it's okay. Downsize it.

 

It would seem to me that an illegal transfer would still be a violation whether it be 1 or 10. Cordia did have a large number of transfers over the last 3 years, but schools all around them in the mountains, as well as throughout the state, have also had transfers, (many for athletic reasons only, let's not fool ourselves), and just because the number of transfers is lower doesn't make it any more legal.

 

Cordia was heavily scrutinized due to going a step higher in the transfer game, and that appears to be their biggest penalty.

 

And don't get me started on the Open Enrollment policies in some metro areas of the state. That setup is a recruiter's dream. I'm not from those areas so I can't comment with first hand knowledge on whether it is abused or not. I only know what's been relayed to me at the state tournament by coaches from the schools that have lost great athletes to other schools because of the Open Enrollment policy. All star teams can be formulated in a jiffy by taking advantage of this policy. And the way it's constructed it's legal. Cordia is not the only school that receives transfers from out of their district, but they're not fortunate enough to have a population base of 700,000 to lure them to their school.

Your scale tipped over at 13 transfers and 17 KHSAA violations......equals overweight!
  • Replies 136
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your scale tipped over at 13 transfers and 17 KHSAA violations......equals overweight!

So that makes it okay if school A has only one illegal transfer but if school B has more than one, or two, then it's not okay. I see.

So that makes it okay if school A has only one illegal transfer but if school B has more than one, or two, then it's not okay. I see.

 

I don't think anyone is saying that one illegal transfer is okay. I don't buy the "they did it, why can't we" argument either. I feel like people are saying it's much easier for one or two illegal transfers to slip through the cracks than it is to slip in the number Cordia is alleged to have received over the years.

 

I feel fairly confident that if Burgin Independent school received the same number of transfers that Cordia received and they all came in, coincidentally, with a new coach then a ton of eyebrows would be raised.

I feel fairly confident that if Burgin Independent school received the same number of transfers that Cordia received and they all came in, coincidentally, with a new coach then a ton of eyebrows would be raised.

 

You must not remember coach Jeff Hall and Rose Hill Christian back in 2001/02 and 2002/03. O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker. I bet those raised eye brows did wonders back then like they do now. Cheaters will cheat and gullible people will sing their praises!

You must not remember coach Jeff Hall and Rose Hill Christian back in 2001/02 and 2002/03. O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker. I bet those raised eye brows did wonders back then like they do now. Cheaters will cheat and gullible people will sing their praises!

 

 

You proved my point. Rose Hill got in trouble didn't they?

You must not remember coach Jeff Hall and Rose Hill Christian back in 2001/02 and 2002/03. O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker. I bet those raised eye brows did wonders back then like they do now. Cheaters will cheat and gullible people will sing their praises!

 

And gullible people will believe that the KHSAA doles out their "justice" equally and uniformly. Actually, I don't think that even gullible folks would believe that.

 

I understand the frustration with Cordia, I do. And they are going to receive some level of punishment. The KHSAA, on the other hand,...

Ironic that Hazard and Perry get 2-3 transfers a year and it is ok because it is just 1-2, yet 13 is over the line.

 

Ironic that the kid that turned them in was eligible at Hazard.

 

 

Either open it up or shutdown all transfers.

 

KHSAA is a joke and politics play a roll in every decision.

What u have tried to say makes absolutely no sense at all.....didn't take a whistleblower....just a plain ole common sense basketball lover to look at Cordia's basketball program over the last two years and say.....something must be wrong here......and who wants to hear the old stuff about let's just work harder and we can beat this team of "highly talented athletes from all over the world".....you have got to be kidding.....and leave Powell Co. and Hargrave out of this.....has nothing to do with Cordia....really don't think you have the solid basketball love you say...

 

So it's not "plain ole common sense" that two kids from Philadelphia and a top prospect from New York wind up at Perry County Central in a three year period then?

 

Who wants to hear the old stuff about "let's work harder"-- people who want to go to college where they'll compete for admission with people from around the country and around the world if they go to a good school, people who want to get a job with a top company that can be selective about who they hire. Those are two kinds of people who probably think, "let's work harder" and less "how can I get other people disqualified so I'm the one left".

 

Don't have the solid basketball love? Thanks.

 

History lesson since you seem like a guy whose a big fan of the 14th: I used Powell County because that was kind of a controversial win they had to get there, but that was probably just business as usual in the 14th during that era though. Being such a fan of the 14th and their "pure basketball", I'm going to bet that you probably already knew a little about that though. I guess it was too bad they couldn't take mountain officials to their game with Oldham County. I want to see the best team win and watch good basketball. I don't care about whose on mine or my buddy's sheet in the big Hazard contest, just want to see the best team win.

 

When Kentucky is hemorrhaging top talent matriculating to prep schools like Hargrave and everyone has a problem with tiny Cordia trying to build up, especially when they don't have the same resources as teams like Trinity (who are already "built up"), then yes, I do see it as ironic.

 

I don't have a problem with kids going anywhere. If they want to go to Trinity, Lexington Catholic, Cordia, whatever, then that's on them. I really don't care.

 

Even if Cordia wins a case against whistleblowers in court, they'll probably be finding themselves having to do it all over again, this time on the court, once the season starts.

I may be foolish but I said it the last two years and it proved to be true. The refs will never let cordia win the 14th.

Joker, I very much admire your passion. I agree with some of what you say and disagree with some of what you say, but I hope you never lose your passion for high school basketball.

Joker, I very much admire your passion. I agree with some of what you say and disagree with some of what you say, but I hope you never lose your passion for high school basketball.

 

Thanks, appreciate it. And disagreement is perfectly fine. Reasonable minds can differ.

Looks like Cordia had more than sufficient resources according to the 17 allegations.....everything from cash in hand to plane tickets and cars....I'll bet Trinity wishes they could match that....

The problem I have with some of the opinions on here is several seem to equate the Cordia scrunity, investigation, and KHSAA rulings with 'scale'. That the reason Cordia is more in violation than others is that they have had more transfers in a shorter period that other schools who have also received transfers. So, I suppose if Cordia had just a couple of transfers instead of 10 or 12, then it wouldn't have drawn so much attention, it would be on a lesser "scale". The other schools (many who are doing the same thing) wouldn't make such a big fuss about it, and neither would the KHSAA.

 

No, no, no. I don't understand how people in essence try to justify what Cordia did because, supposedly X County school did the same thing with 2 transfers, Y City school had 3 and has done it for years, so on and so forth. NO ONE is on here saying those schools aren't in the wrong if those things happened. NO ONE is saying those schools shouldn't face consequences if guilty. What many of us, or at least I, am saying is that you can't do what Cordia did, essentially rub everyone's nose in it and expect to get away with it. No school should, be it the lowliest, smallest KHSAA school in the state, or the biggest most mighty one.

 

A beat up green 72 Ford Pinto speeds down the BG Parkway doing 87 mph. A brand new bright red 2015 Corvette on the same stretch of road goes by doing 120. Both pass a state cop at the same time. Which one gets noticed first and who do you think the cop goes after under most circumstances and gives a ticket to? Cordia was driving the red Corvette and got caught doing 120. No one's fault but their own. But it doesn't mean the Pinto wasn't in the wrong and shouldn't get a ticket as well.

Transfers in this state are always going to be met with a mixed bag of results from the masses. After reading thru the comments on this I am not so sure that some of these players didnt leave one school for another (public to prep) simply because they didn't have a good relationship (sometimes disfunctional relationship) with the coach or disagreed with the way that something was working on the team (offense not coming thru them enough). I will leave it @ that & not mention any names. Not sure how other counties do it, but Jefferson Co. tracks transfers from school to school within the county with a sheet that is on their athletic website that has to accompany any transfer from a public to public school within the county. Fayette County has a public/private agreement between the 5 city schools & Catholic & Christian & it is on their sports site as well. If a transfer occurs between the publics & privates, then that kid can't participate in Varsity competition @ the school they are transferring to for one year & can only participate as high as JV, so if you are a senior transferring, then you cant play. Reading into it more, it filters down into the middle schools as well that impacts you as a freshman if you switch from private to public or vice versa. Interestingly enough Sayre isn't included in this package for some reason.

I have one thought only on transfers, who plays and who doesn't. I believe every athlete should have to sit out one year if he transfers. Make it black and white. No exceptions. Make the rules the same for everyone. Once again, NO EXCEPTIONS!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.