Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cordia 2014/2015

Featured Replies

Yea, tons of great posts like that. Thanks for adding so much to the discussion. Figured you'd be out in front of the Herald Leader's two day old news on this one considering all those contacts and connections you have. :thumb:

 

I have bigger fish to fry than the circus at Cordia. Best of luck though. You're clearly passionate about it (based on the 25,000 words you've contributed in this thread alone) and I respect that.

 

For the record, you should be very thankful that I don't write everything that I know. And I do know.

  • Replies 136
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bigger fish to fry than the circus at Cordia. Best of luck though. You're clearly passionate about it (based on the 25,000 words you've contributed in this thread alone) and I respect that.

 

For the record, you should be very thankful that I don't write everything that I know. And I do know.

 

Ummmmm ok.

Ummmmm ok.

 

You think I don't have friends in low places too? Like I said, I respect your passion for the game. Keep up the great work.

And I'm of the opinion that the KHSAA should be tougher on one member school taking/poaching players from another member school than they should be on a member school who takes kids from a non-member school.

 

When we're talking about big-time schools, that's what's happening. It's one thing if a kid and his family come to you. It's one thing if a kid comes to you before his freshman year. It's another thing when you have coaches scouting city middle school games. It's another thing if you put feelers on the AAU circuit and get a kid to drop the program that's developed him and play for you during his senior year.

 

I wish the KHSAA would be harder on kids who see three schools in three years, not a kid who leaves home and goes and lives in a school's dorm for a few years while he plays basketball there.

 

I've heard people justify transfers by saying "well, he came before his freshman year, so it was legal", but I've not really heard some of those same people buying the reasoning that "well, Keita and Lulu came as middle schoolers". When they talk about Cordia, it's "a whole team full of transfers", but they aren't as quick to apply that logic to other programs or kids.

 

Let's give Cordia two exceptions for Keita and Lulu since they came as middle schoolers. Lets give Cunningham once since he had a family member on the staff (which is another justification used for lots of kids' transferring). Now let's say they get the 2 or 3 like other schools that everyone else seems to be fine with. At this point, with the way the numbers are adding up, they were really only a couple of kids over, so maybe we should just start saying they should have only had 2-3 less. *Sarcasm*

 

Here's how I "justify" the situation with Cordia: the KHSAA has shown time and time again that they won't punish any of the big dogs for doing some of the same things. It's not as if I'd be claiming Cordia shouldn't be punished if they were doing things that other schools were getting punished for, but I'm not completely convinced that's the case.

 

On the bolded, I said the same thing in another thread on this same subject. It's actually more harmful to neighboring schools in the same region or area when players are raided from their schools to enroll at another school than it is if they come in from Canada or New Jersey. At least you're not taking a kid that has been locally groomed and conditioned to be a part of the local school's program, then suddenly out of the blue, when they get to the level of sophomore or junior, a school in the next county down the road, or two counties away, get the benefit of the athlete and other coaches hard work.

 

Canadian locals are probably more interested in the high school hockey program than they are the basketball team. They more than likely don't even raise an eyebrow if a basketball players transfers. Maybe get upset over a hockey player moving, but basketball to them is about as important as Curling would be to Kentuckians.

You think I don't have friends in low places too? Like I said, I respect your passion for the game. Keep up the great work.

 

Good deal and same to you. Beef over.

Sounding like the crux of Cordia's argument is going to be that their school has a history of helping out students and people in the community, and I think they'll be able to show conclusive proof that they have actually done just that long before they had a basketball team.

 

As Whittaker noted, maybe this leads to a new bylaw that sets forth guidelines on what schools like Cordia can and cannot offer. As of what the KHSAA does or doesn't have against them right now, I expect that we'll see Cordia playing, whether it's with the blessing of the KHSAA's Board of Control or the blessing of a Franklin Court.

Good deal and same to you. Beef over.

 

For the record, I have no beef with you or Cordia. I enjoy a good sports discussion with someone who is passionate about his team.

For the record, I have no beef with you or Cordia. I enjoy a good sports discussion with someone who is passionate about his team.

 

Likewise.

It sounds like their argument is that Cordia School didn't break any rules because it was the Lotts Creek Community which provided benefits, which they have provided to other students as well. I don't have any real understanding of Cordia v. Lotts Creek, but I can't imagine that will be a successful defense. It also sounds like they are anticipating losing and going to court.

It sounds like their argument is that Cordia School didn't break any rules because it was the Lotts Creek Community which provided benefits, which they have provided to other students as well. I don't have any real understanding of Cordia v. Lotts Creek, but I can't imagine that will be a successful defense. It also sounds like they are anticipating losing and going to court.

 

Agreed that it sounds like they are ready to go to court if they feel like they need to.

 

"There are many statements that would be questionable if made in a court of law". That's a pretty calculated statement and there's possibly more than we know.

 

 

In response to the Cordia/Lotts Creek Community School question-- the next question asked would be why they've been providing those same benefits to kids for years and it never was a problem until their team started winning games.

 

I doubt the KHSAA wants to get too deep into "they had these kids transfer in" when they've not punished any other schools for that, even recently.

My question concerns Cordia, if they decide to take it to court. When they have appealed the KHSAA decisions in the past they have chosen the judge that presented them with a favorable ruling. If CORDIA gets an unfavorable ruling are they going to be able to pick their judge?

It goes to Franklin Circuit Court.

Will that be the same judge that sided with Rhodes before?

It goes to Franklin Circuit Court.

 

Think Cordia has the choice of whether to appeal in either their local court or Franklin.

 

Also, if Cordia wins this first appeal, which is being ruled upon by the KHSAA itself, I'd say it's fair to speculate there's more to this story that we'll probably ever hear.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.