Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cordia 2014/2015

Featured Replies

Just that the defenses I'd alluded to them having might not be such a joke. If it were, this whole thing would have been resolved long, long ago.

 

Let's be real, if the hammer gets dropped on Cordia but the transfers at a place like Scott County are eligible, then how is that going to look if Cordia fights it in Court? They've already beaten the KHSAA in Court twice. Like spindoc said, no ruling by a Judge on the KHSAA would be surprising.

 

How many other schools do you think are nervous if Cordia really gets the hammer dropped on them. It's not just about Cordia, and it never has been.

First of all Cordia will NOT win the appeal....if they were to miraculously come out on top.....all schools should boycott the entire season because it is over for all schools under KHSAA jurisdiction.....this thing has been a total humiliation from the start for all basketball lovers in the state of Ky. and defending them is totally ridiculous
  • Replies 136
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all Cordia will NOT win the appeal....if they were to miraculously come out on top.....all schools should boycott the entire season because it is over for all schools under KHSAA jurisdiction.....this thing has been a total humiliation from the start for all basketball lovers in the state of Ky. and defending them is totally ridiculous

 

 

K. Thanks. Sorry for not being sorry.

 

I'm a basketball lover and don't have a problem with them, I'd probably have more of a problem with the "whistleblower" in the 14th who complained about them, especially if it came out that they were just upset at being beaten at their own game.

 

If I'm not a "true fan", then you can have watching someone like Powell County get gifted a game in Rupp to get blown out and I'll take the memories of watching OJ Mayo at Rose Hill. Which of those two teams do you think more people talk about? Both played in the same State Tournament (2003). Both were Eastern Kentucky schools. One got blown out by Oldham County, a team on the outskirts of Louisville who'd have struggled mightily to win the 7th Region (or even win some of the districts there); the other went toe-to-toe with one of the premiere programs in the State in Ballard.

 

Like it or not, the days of a kid growing up and playing on the hometown team, staying at one school for his whole time even though there's no talent around him, all that-- those days are over.

 

When schools like Oak Hill and Montverde are coming in and taking Rajon Rondo and D'Angleo Russell out of Russell, or when schools like Hargrave come in and take Trey Grundy out of Lexington, it's telling me that the ideals of Hoosiers and the dreams of the small town community who has the star that everyone talks about for generations are just that-- dreams.

 

Change with the times or get left behind. If Kentucky has evolved enough to the point that Trinity and Lexington Catholic have dominate State Championship runs (when in the past, those runs were usually limited to the bigger publics), then I don't see the harm in evolving even further. Coming from a kid who grew up loving to watch Mountain Basketball, that's just the truth. Cordia hasn't even been able to get out of the region yet, but people are acting like they are some dynasty that's completely killing the competitive balance of the game.

 

I'd rather see EKY schools put up or shut up and just play them. The EKY entitlement mindset of "let's get them disqualified for doing what we do on a bigger scale" instead of "let's work hard and whip their butts" is a microcosm of a problematic attitude that honestly plagues the area on some levels.

You think there was just one whistleblower? I'm not insinuating anything I'm just curious.

Exactly. Two-three kids...ok. 11-12 kids...too much.

 

Yep. We should let schools in Kentucky poach talent from other Kentucky programs who've developed those kids. They get stronger, the surrounding competition gets weaker. They can do it a few times a year, and build their programs around the kids they take.

 

What we shouldn't stand for at all is Kentucky, a basketball crazy State, taking talent from other States, moving them into dorms/housing in Kentucky, and giving some punch to an area that's historically been one of the State's weakest in terms of postseason success. That makes perfect sense.

 

Load up an All-Star team of area kids at one or two high schools in each major geographical area of the State, thus watering down the quality of play and level of competition in the area as a whole, let each of those teams fight it out at Rupp, then sit back and watch our All-Star team get smoked by Indiana, or sit back and watch kids from Kentucky High Schools get to colleges and transfer down a few levels or quit entirely because they're not used to having to play at that level night in and night out. Absolutely brilliant.

K. Thanks. Sorry for not being sorry.

 

I'm a basketball lover and don't have a problem with them, I'd probably have more of a problem with the "whistleblower" in the 14th who complained about them, especially if it came out that they were just upset at being beaten at their own game.

 

If I'm not a "true fan", then you can have watching someone like Powell County get gifted a game in Rupp to get blown out and I'll take the memories of watching OJ Mayo at Rose Hill. Which of those two teams do you think more people talk about? Both played in the same State Tournament (2003). Both were Eastern Kentucky schools. One got blown out by Oldham County, a team on the outskirts of Louisville who'd have struggled mightily to win the 7th Region (or even win some of the districts there); the other went toe-to-toe with one of the premiere programs in the State in Ballard.

 

Like it or not, the days of a kid growing up and playing on the hometown team, staying at one school for his whole time even though there's no talent around him, all that-- those days are over.

 

When schools like Oak Hill and Montverde are coming in and taking Rajon Rondo and D'Angleo Russell out of Russell, or when schools like Hargrave come in and take Trey Grundy out of Lexington, it's telling me that the ideals of Hoosiers and the dreams of the small town community who has the star that everyone talks about for generations are just that-- dreams.

 

Change with the times or get left behind. If Kentucky has evolved enough to the point that Trinity and Lexington Catholic have dominate State Championship runs (when in the past, those runs were usually limited to the bigger publics), then I don't see the harm in evolving even further. Coming from a kid who grew up loving to watch Mountain Basketball, that's just the truth. Cordia hasn't even been able to get out of the region yet, but people are acting like they are some dynasty that's completely killing the competitive balance of the game.

 

I'd rather see EKY schools put up or shut up and just play them. The EKY entitlement mindset of "let's get them disqualified for doing what we do on a bigger scale" instead of "let's work hard and whip their butts" is a microcosm of a problematic attitude that honestly plagues the area on some levels.

What u have tried to say makes absolutely no sense at all.....didn't take a whistleblower....just a plain ole common sense basketball lover to look at Cordia's basketball program over the last two years and say.....something must be wrong here......and who wants to hear the old stuff about let's just work harder and we can beat this team of "highly talented athletes from all over the world".....you have got to be kidding.....and leave Powell Co. and Hargrave out of this.....has nothing to do with Cordia....really don't think you have the solid basketball love you say...
Yep. We should let schools in Kentucky poach talent from other Kentucky programs who've developed those kids. They get stronger, the surrounding competition gets weaker. They can do it a few times a year, and build their programs around the kids they take.

 

What we shouldn't stand for at all is Kentucky, a basketball crazy State, taking talent from other States, moving them into dorms/housing in Kentucky, and giving some punch to an area that's historically been one of the State's weakest in terms of postseason success. That makes perfect sense.

 

Load up an All-Star team of area kids at one or two high schools in each major geographical area of the State, thus watering down the quality of play and level of competition in the area as a whole, let each of those teams fight it out at Rupp, then sit back and watch our All-Star team get smoked by Indiana, or sit back and watch kids from Kentucky High Schools get to colleges and transfer down a few levels or quit entirely because they're not used to having to play at that level night in and night out. Absolutely brilliant.

 

At this point I have no clue what you are talking about or what your logic is. I know you've defended Cordia from day one but I no longer know if you are in agreement that they broke rules, that they didn't break rules or that they should be allowed to break rules because others do it and don't get caught.

 

I don't know what you are trying to say other than knowing that your post is dripping in sarcasm.

At this point I have no clue what you are talking about or what your logic is. I know you've defended Cordia from day one but I no longer know if you are in agreement that they broke rules, that they didn't break rules or that they should be allowed to break rules because others do it and don't get caught.

 

I don't know what you are trying to say other than knowing that your post is dripping in sarcasm.

 

 

What I'm trying to say: Cordia should be treated like every other school. If that means kids being ineligible, then Kentucky is going to have an outage when it comes to star power this season.

 

If kids who didn't grow up in Christ The King Elementary or other similar feeders but they get to play for the Lexington Catholic's, if kids from The Ville have found their way to Trinity, if Perry County Central can get a kid from New York and two from Philadelphia & some kids from area 14th schools, if Scott County can get kids from all over year after year, then I see a problem with Cordia getting the hammer dropped on them.

 

It's like The Professor said, "some schools get a bigger switch than others". I'd just like to see some consistency. Consistency isn't some kids being ruled eligible and others not.

 

Trinity gets a starting point guard with a D1 offer that rounded out their team or Scott County apparently getting Jenkins eligible given what's being said-- if the KHSAA scrutinized situations like those and countless others to the same scrutiny that they do for Cordia, then that's fine.

 

I'm just saying that some consistency, fairness, and equality would go a long way. Personally, I'd rather it be wide open and Kentucky turn into the Wild Wild West, but that's a separate issue. At this point, I'd just be nice to see consistency and I'll settle for that.

I know I have seen a few pictures from Cordia practices/workouts on Facebook and Twitter. I just wonder what they are practicing for?

 

 

 

Possibly to get better and maybe, just maybe for the love of the game:up:

Possibly to get better and maybe, just maybe for the love of the game:up:

 

Again, I'm in no way trashing the kids at Cordia. I was only curious what their plans are. :wave:

Possibly to get better and maybe, just maybe for the love of the game:up:

 

Welcome to BGP, by the way :thumb:

Ugh.

 

Ahh good ole Doc...right on aging with the perfect balance of restraint and disgust.:thumb::lol2:

What I'm trying to say: Cordia should be treated like every other school.

 

Here's the problem with that though Joker...they didn't act like every other school and thus set themselves up to at a minimum be investigated. No other school in the whole state that I am aware of had 13 (the number I have seen used) transfers in a 2 years period from all over the country and our of country as well. Come on brother, that stinks to high heaven.

What I'm trying to say: Cordia should be treated like every other school. If that means kids being ineligible, then Kentucky is going to have an outage when it comes to star power this season.

 

If kids who didn't grow up in Christ The King Elementary or other similar feeders but they get to play for the Lexington Catholic's, if kids from The Ville have found their way to Trinity, if Perry County Central can get a kid from New York and two from Philadelphia & some kids from area 14th schools, if Scott County can get kids from all over year after year, then I see a problem with Cordia getting the hammer dropped on them.

 

It's like The Professor said, "some schools get a bigger switch than others". I'd just like to see some consistency. Consistency isn't some kids being ruled eligible and others not.

 

Trinity gets a starting point guard with a D1 offer that rounded out their team or Scott County apparently getting Jenkins eligible given what's being said-- if the KHSAA scrutinized situations like those and countless others to the same scrutiny that they do for Cordia, then that's fine.

 

I'm just saying that some consistency, fairness, and equality would go a long way. Personally, I'd rather it be wide open and Kentucky turn into the Wild Wild West, but that's a separate issue. At this point, I'd just be nice to see consistency and I'll settle for that.

 

Okay. I see what you are saying now.

The problem I have with some of the opinions on here is several seem to equate the Cordia scrunity, investigation, and KHSAA rulings with 'scale'. That the reason Cordia is more in violation than others is that they have had more transfers in a shorter period that other schools who have also received transfers. So, I suppose if Cordia had just a couple of transfers instead of 10 or 12, then it wouldn't have drawn so much attention, it would be on a lesser "scale". The other schools (many who are doing the same thing) wouldn't make such a big fuss about it, and neither would the KHSAA.

 

Obviously, Cordia didn't play by the acceptable rules of the 'transfers/recruiting' game. Keep it small and it's okay. Downsize it.

 

It would seem to me that an illegal transfer would still be a violation whether it be 1 or 10. Cordia did have a large number of transfers over the last 3 years, but schools all around them in the mountains, as well as throughout the state, have also had transfers, (many for athletic reasons only, let's not fool ourselves), and just because the number of transfers is lower doesn't make it any more legal.

 

Cordia was heavily scrutinized due to going a step higher in the transfer game, and that appears to be their biggest penalty.

 

And don't get me started on the Open Enrollment policies in some metro areas of the state. That setup is a recruiter's dream. I'm not from those areas so I can't comment with first hand knowledge on whether it is abused or not. I only know what's been relayed to me at the state tournament by coaches from the schools that have lost great athletes to other schools because of the Open Enrollment policy. All star teams can be formulated in a jiffy by taking advantage of this policy. And the way it's constructed it's legal. Cordia is not the only school that receives transfers from out of their district, but they're not fortunate enough to have a population base of 700,000 to lure them to their school.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.