John Hardin vs. South Laurel Predictions

Per the Massey Ratings, JH's strength of schedule is #30. SL's is #99. While SL had some difficult teams on their schedule, some of their very weak opponents really hurt their SOS. Massey also has JH ranked as the #7 team in the state while he has SL ranked at #13. On paper, it looks like SL doesn't have a chance. ;) Unlike several others, I don't think that JH is the best team that SL has faced this season, but overall it does appear that JH played a more difficult schedule. SL did not even play the most difficult schedule in their own region.

But, SL has something that you cannot ignore. Winning a title at Rupp. While the won't be expected to repeat, they weren't expected to win it last season. My head says to pick JH in this one since so many think they are the best team that SL has played this season. My heart says to pick SL. Oh, what the heck, I am going with my heart on this one. In the best opening round game of the tourney, ... South hits their FT's down the stretch to pull this one out.

SL 71

JH 65

I also certainly did not mean to imply that JH is some all-invincible power. I don't even think they are the best team out of the 5th, but they won it on the court (E-Town, with Quinn Harris, should beat them). JH gets in foul trouble, Stallworth can be very lazy (ask Mr. No Name), and in the two games I saw them live they had trouble in transition. But they are a blue-collar team that can be very physical, and when in their groove look like a swift, finely-tuned instrument. Bland is hot right now. They do miss Brandon Johnson at guard (out with broken ankle). Bland/Proffitt could be an interesting game-within-the-game if someone plays man.

I also certainly did not mean to imply that JH is some all-invincible power. I don't even think they are the best team out of the 5th, but they won it on the court (E-Town, with Quinn Harris, should beat them). JH gets in foul trouble, Stallworth can be very lazy (ask Mr. No Name), and in the two games I saw them live they had trouble in transition. But they are a blue-collar team that can be very physical, and when in their groove look like a swift, finely-tuned instrument. Bland is hot right now. They do miss Brandon Johnson at guard (out with broken ankle). Bland/Proffitt could be an interesting game-within-the-game if someone plays man.

I hear what you are saying. I posted the rankings to show that JH did indeed have a tougher schedule this season. This will certainly help them in Rupp Arena. I think that SL's experience should help them get over the hump. I truly believe that this could without a doubt be the best game of the first round. SL's performance in the 13th region title game can mean 1 of 2 things, ... they got the scare out of them as JimSchue stated OR they are vunerable and can be beat. Barbourville is a very blue collar team as well and they gave the Cardinals fits. This should be a dandy! Wish I could be there, but will have to settle for listening to it on the internet! :thumb:

Don't overlook John Hardin. St. X did in the football playoffs and it almost cost X a state championship. And don't forget it was John Hardin versus E'town for King of the Bluegrass Title. JH's Brandon Bland is red hot now - scoring 31 points against E'town in the 5th Region Championship overtime game. I wouldn't call this an inexperienced team who can't take the pressure. Go Dogs!

Not at all. Some previous posters were insinuating that John Hardin didn't have the experience of playing before large crowds and South Laurel did because they had played in the state tournament before. I just don't think that Rupp Arena will intimidate them.

I will enjoy watching this game. I watched South laurel's state championship run at Rupp last year! I haven't watched John Hardin play, but they beat Elizabethtown. That says something right there!! I say you flip a coin here!:thumb:

Not at all. Some previous posters were insinuating that John Hardin didn't have the experience of playing before large crowds and South Laurel did because they had played in the state tournament before. I just don't think that Rupp Arena will intimidate them.

John has never played in front of a crowd that large. It will intimidate them. Maybe not to the point that it causes them to fold up, but they will be affected. Everybody is. And you've lost a lot of credibility by comparing KOB to Sweet 16. In no way, shape or form are the two comparable. A team's season doesn't end if it loses in the KOB.

Anyone who says SL won't have a slight advantage because of last year is unwilling to see reality. I bet Riley sure felt like Warren Central's past experience in the Sweet 16 was key to his team's surprising run to the finals last year.

I'm not comparing KOB to the State Tournament. But playing your local foe five miles down the road who happens to be rated #1 in the state five times in one season...and one of those times happens to be for the KOB title...shows that JH has the fortitude to play in stressful situations. Plus, being ranked #6 yourself in the state, or at least in the top ten all season, speaks for itself.

Don't overlook John Hardin. St. X did in the football playoffs and it almost cost X a state championship. And don't forget it was John Hardin versus E'town for King of the Bluegrass Title. JH's Brandon Bland is red hot now - scoring 31 points against E'town in the 5th Region Championship overtime game. I wouldn't call this an inexperienced team who can't take the pressure. Go Dogs!

Agree with Warrior for a school that has been around a total of 5 years, they have proven pressure will not be a factor. Having a short bench could be a factor with Johnson and Hughes out.

The winner takes the state:

JH 55

SL 54