John Hardin vs. South Laurel Predictions

I'll take JH by 6. Though I am sure SL is very good, and certainly deserves the nod as reigning champs, I have seen JH play and just can't believe SL has seen anything as swift and physical as JH this year. JH has spent much of their time this year playing teams from the 6th and 7th, and 5 games against E-Town. They are the real deal.

I'll take JH by 6. Though I am sure SL is very good, and certainly deserves the nod as reigning champs, I have seen JH play and just can't believe SL has seen anything as swift and physical as JH this year. JH has spent much of their time this year playing teams from the 6th and 7th, and 5 games against E-Town. They are the real deal.

South has been playing North College Hill, Brentwood Academy, Layfayette, Madison Central, Mason County, and Pendelton County. Who's schedule looks tougher to you??

South got their scare out of the way, and they will be very poised in this game.

Here's the kicker about SL's run through the 13th -- neither Walt Allen or Ty Proffitt played all that well. I look for them to bust out. Especially Walt, given his success on the Rupp floor last year.

John Hardin will be way too quick and athletic for South Laurel. Yes, SL has the experience, but I have to go with John Hardin by 6.

SL has beaten athletic, quick teams before. They aren't fazed by it like most of the mountain schools. Remember the PRP game last year? Most of SL's same guys are back.

SL has beaten athletic, quick teams before. They aren't fazed by it like most of the mountain schools. Remember the PRP game last year? Most of SL's same guys are back.

I think losing Fields will hurt them though. He picked up a lot of garbage baskets on put backs that I don't think they'll get this year.

South has been playing North College Hill, Brentwood Academy, Layfayette, Madison Central, Mason County, and Pendelton County. Who's schedule looks tougher to you??

JH's. SL LOST to Brentwood, Madison Central, North College Hill, and Boyle Co., who JH beat. They beat Mason and Pendleton, which are good teams. Lafayette was 17-11, and was pretty good.

JH has beaten Elizabethtown, the #1 team in the state, twice (and played them 5 times). They have also BEATEN Ballard, who may be the Sweet 16 rep. out of the 7th, Boyle, the Sweet 16 rep. out of the 12th, Warren Central, the Sweet 16 rep. out of the 4th, Henderson County, who was one bucket shy of being the Sweet 16 rep. out of the 2nd, Meade County, who lost in OT to Apollo, the Sweet 16 rep. out of the 3rd, and split a pair of matches against Doss, who was 23-7 this year, and whom lost in the 6th regional final to PRP by 2.

Its going to be a classic, but I simply feel like JH may be unlike most teams SL has played this year.

JH's. SL LOST to Brentwood, Madison Central, North College Hill, and Boyle Co., who JH beat. They beat Mason and Pendleton, which are good teams. Lafayette was 17-11, and was pretty good.

JH has beaten Elizabethtown, the #1 team in the state, twice (and played them 5 times). They have also BEATEN Ballard, who may be the Sweet 16 rep. out of the 7th, Boyle, the Sweet 16 rep. out of the 12th, Warren Central, the Sweet 16 rep. out of the 4th, Henderson County, who was one bucket shy of being the Sweet 16 rep. out of the 2nd, Meade County, who lost in OT to Apollo, the Sweet 16 rep. out of the 3rd, and split a pair of matches against Doss, who was 23-7 this year, and whom lost in the 6th regional final to PRP by 2.

Its going to be a classic, but I simply feel like JH may be unlike most teams SL has played this year.

That is a nice breakdown.... now that I know this... I am going to go out ona limb and say JH wins by 3pts and sends Steve Wright and the boys packing.

Per the Massey Ratings, JH's strength of schedule is #30. SL's is #99. While SL had some difficult teams on their schedule, some of their very weak opponents really hurt their SOS. Massey also has JH ranked as the #7 team in the state while he has SL ranked at #13. On paper, it looks like SL doesn't have a chance. ;) Unlike several others, I don't think that JH is the best team that SL has faced this season, but overall it does appear that JH played a more difficult schedule. SL did not even play the most difficult schedule in their own region.

But, SL has something that you cannot ignore. Winning a title at Rupp. While the won't be expected to repeat, they weren't expected to win it last season. My head says to pick JH in this one since so many think they are the best team that SL has played this season. My heart says to pick SL. Oh, what the heck, I am going with my heart on this one. In the best opening round game of the tourney, ... South hits their FT's down the stretch to pull this one out.

SL 71

JH 65