Cats' Pause 9th Region Preview

LMS

As I have recently found out there are many layers to AAU basketball! And I can't speak for the type of schedule the stars play or played while she was with them but I feel it was similar to My daughters last AAU team (Lady Legends) because we faced them in many tournaments locally. With that being said Legends traveled far and wide (Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis, Nashville etc..) and did so with very little exposure to college coaches and scouts. And her most recent experience was in an exposure event in Nashville with 30+ schools in attendance including Tennessee, Vanderbilt,LSU and Locals like NKU and UC. In that one tourney with the Cincinnati Angels she was exposed to more schools than the summer schedule combined! Who you play for and in front of means everything!

I agree! It's unfortunate, but true. A lot of girls never have a chance because they either find this out too late or can't afford to play with the big time clubs and travel that way. I don't think you have to do all that as a youngster, but once you hit freshman year, you better start looking to hook up with one of the top programs or you will get left behind...even if you are a great talent. Now the "elite" get exposure no matter what. But we are talking about a very small percentage.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She had those offers.

So if she did, and she turned them down to go to a better academic school like TMC. Kudos to her. Still doesn't change the fact that the exposure provided by different AAU teams has different results. Look at it over time. The proof is in the pudding. It is not about talent, it's about exposure.

So if she did, and she turned them down to go to a better academic school like TMC. Kudos to her. Still doesn't change the fact that the exposure provided by different AAU teams has different results. Look at it over time. The proof is in the pudding. It is not about talent, it's about exposure.[/quote

I disagree!! You have to have talent to go with that exposure! Those elite teams aren't just taking anyone with a dream you have to be able to walk the walk if you're going to talk the talk!

So if she did, and she turned them down to go to a better academic school like TMC. Kudos to her. Still doesn't change the fact that the exposure provided by different AAU teams has different results. Look at it over time. The proof is in the pudding. It is not about talent, it's about exposure.
It's about both. And keep in mind, that college coaches are VERY arrogant. They think they can turn goat urine into gasoline sometimes.

So if she did, and she turned them down to go to a better academic school like TMC. Kudos to her. Still doesn't change the fact that the exposure provided by different AAU teams has different results. Look at it over time. The proof is in the pudding. It is not about talent, it's about exposure.[/quote

I disagree!! You have to have talent to go with that exposure! Those elite teams aren't just taking anyone with a dream you have to be able to walk the walk if you're going to talk the talk!

That's a given, thus the comparison between Neace and Kiernan. They can both walk the walk. The difference in their exposure was their AAU Teams.

Why did you decide to turn this thread and take a shot at the Shining Star Sports program? I am not sure that I need to defend my program to you. But our program works very hard for the young ladies that enter our program. They play a highly competitive tournament schedule and play in events all over the country. Our teams play in top level exposure events and have done very well (won the Deep South last year with the Class of 2014 group).

We have very good relationships throughout the country and will be playing in a top tier exposure league this upcoming season.

We have only had two graduating classes come through our club. Not sure how many D1 and D2 athletes we were suppose to have to meet your exposure criteria. Jordan Scott and Sarah Futscher both signed D2 scholorships.

Nikki Kiernan is one of the players that played on the 2014 team. She had a number of offers that she decided to not accept. She wanted to stay home and be close to her family. She is a great player and an even better person. There are others from the 2014 class that decided to stay home and not accept full ride offers as well.

I have a great deal of respect for the clubs that you have mentioned. Kentucky Premier is a model club and has had amazing players come through their program and played at very high levels. I am sure their alumni list is amazing! I wish their staff and players the best of luck.

Why did you decide to turn this thread and take a shot at the Shining Star Sports program?

Not sure why your perception is that shots were being taken at the Shining Stars program. I think the point was that just because a player plays at NCAA DIII level that does not mean they are an inferior player or not as good as a DI player. I'm sure there are a lot of DI and DII programs that would want nothing to do with Thomas More this season. A lot goes into where a player chooses to play college ball; talent, exposure, proximity to home, choice of major. Go back and read the thread and you'll see that you are saying the same thing I am.

Why did you decide to turn this thread and take a shot at the Shining Star Sports program? I am not sure that I need to defend my program to you. But our program works very hard for the young ladies that enter our program. They play a highly competitive tournament schedule and play in events all over the country. Our teams play in top level exposure events and have done very well (won the Deep South last year with the Class of 2014 group).

We have very good relationships throughout the country and will be playing in a top tier exposure league this upcoming season.

We have only had two graduating classes come through our club. Not sure how many D1 and D2 athletes we were suppose to have to meet your exposure criteria. Jordan Scott and Sarah Futscher both signed D2 scholorships.

Nikki Kiernan is one of the players that played on the 2014 team. She had a number of offers that she decided to not accept. She wanted to stay home and be close to her family. She is a great player and an even better person. There are others from the 2014 class that decided to stay home and not accept full ride offers as well.

I have a great deal of respect for the clubs that you have mentioned. Kentucky Premier is a model club and has had amazing players come through their program and played at very high levels. I am sure their alumni list is amazing! I wish their staff and players the best of luck.

Way to take the high road Budman. I'm not sure I could of handled it that way. I know players playing for every organization that has been mentioned here and you can get anywhere from rave reviews to it was the worst experience ever about each one of them. Your going to have that no matter how good of a organization you are. I will say that you made a good point that Shining Stars have had only 2 graduating classes in the program so far and have had a impressive amount of players that have moved on to the next level. One of the biggest distinctions I think is that in the Shining Stars Program you have 99 percent local girls playing in the program rather than having girls from all over the State and still have been able to compete at a very high level. I would echo Budman I also have a great deal of respect for all these clubs because I know how much work goes into it and how most of these coaches are spending a lot of time and treasure to help these kids. Its usually those who do the least that throw the most darts. As far as Nikki FBD is right she had a lot of other choices and you should probably check the details before you go pontificating like you know the facts before knocking a kid on here and her choice of AAU orginization to associate herself with.

As far as Nikki FBD is right she had a lot of other choices and you should probably check the details before you go pontificating like you know the facts before knocking a kid on here and her choice of AAU orginization to associate herself with.

What are you talking about. No one in this entire thread put down any kid about anything. For some reason you and Budman have it in your mind that Shining Stars has been slighted and that is not the case. Please go back and reread the thread. This is about the talent level of kids and where they end up playing college ball based on their talent. Geez. It's people like you who take all the fun out of message boards.

That's a given, thus the comparison between Neace and Kiernan. They can both walk the walk. The difference in their exposure was their AAU Teams.

I don't have a dog in this fight but Sounds to me that someone has a taste of sour grapes against the Stars Organization. Shame! Kudos to Nikki and all the hard working AAU Organizations. Keep up the good work that you put in to helping these athletes.

I 100% agree the ones who have no knowledge or doing the least throw the darts at the AAU people. Be glad there a few good programs for the kids in Kentucky to play for. 5/6 years ago that was not the case. I can say that I am sure that there are kids that Kentucky Premier is not a good fit. I can also say that there are kids that the Shining Stars are not a good fit. Every kid has to find their way. Usually kids end up playing at the level they fit at, whether on the first go around or after a transfer. Some of the hardest things I deal with is when parents dreams are not met by their kid. I tell parents every day that make sure your daughter is in the right fit. Dont worry about what everyone else is doing or where they are going. Make sure you get all the facts when dealing with the college coaches and along with your daughter make the best choice for her. Basketball players want to play basketball, not sit the bench. If they are not playing they will not be happy and if your daughter is not happy I will guarantee you will not be happy.

When did TMC become a superior academic school? I checked into TMC and NKU when transferring. Nku had much more to offer academically than Thomas More. It wasn't even close.