2014 deer season

dd734

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This will be one of the most memorable seasons for me. Only saw 2 does and a button opening morning. Hunted about 7 days. We took 3 deer off the farm opening morning and not another the rest of the season. The great news for me is my oldest has decided to take up the sport! I cherished the days I was able to hunt with my dad! Let the memories begin!!!!

I just trophy hunt anymore and Friday night was my second favorite hunt (1st was killing 160 class 12 pt) and I never pulled the trigger. It was about 5:20 and the snow was still on the ground and was cold enough where you could hear them coming. It sounded like a herd of cattle coming from behind me in a dead run. It ended up as two doe and last years yearling followed by FIVE bucks one after the other. The doe and yearling went right and the obvious "hot" doe went left right across my field in front of me about 50 yards out. The first three bucks looked to be 8 pts as long as they had their brow tines. It was hard to tell as they were full sprint. The fourth one looked bigger so I yelled as he hit the field to get him to stop. He did for about 3 seconds but I counted 5 pt on one side and at least 4 on the other but I couldn't tell if he had the other brow tine. I still wouldn't have shot but he was close to the size for me to hang on the wall. The first 4 bucks were about 10-15 yards behind each other. The 5th one was a 6 pt that was about 30 seconds behind. I wish I could of had it on film as I have never seen anything like it in 35 years of deer hunting. That one minute of excitement was worth all the hours I spent in the stand this Fall. Awesome!!

Saturday morning was the only day I could hunt this week. Was really windy and it seemed to keep the deer in the woods. Unfortunately I was sitting in the middle of a field. Going to see what I can get done with my bow.

After your last buck, you were due a shutout.:lol2:

Went out this morning for a try at a thanksgiving buck. Was an awesome morning. A little bit if snow on the ground. Had a pretty nice 8 at 43 yards, just wasn't quite big enough. Same buck (I think) was chasing does about an hour earlier. I always like hunting thanksgiving morning, from the first second of legal shooting light it sounds like WWIII from all the duck hunters.

Went out this morning for a try at a thanksgiving buck. Was an awesome morning. A little bit if snow on the ground. Had a pretty nice 8 at 43 yards, just wasn't quite big enough. Same buck (I think) was chasing does about an hour earlier. I always like hunting thanksgiving morning, from the first second of legal shooting light it sounds like WWIII from all the duck hunters.

My boys were in that duck hunters group this morning.

My boys were in that duck hunters group this morning.

So was I. Wind was tough. We killed 4 mallards. But the highlight was that I got to try duck jerky for the first time. And I can say without reservation that jerky will be the end result of all of my ducks from here on out.

So was I. Wind was tough. We killed 4 mallards. But the highlight was that I got to try duck jerky for the first time. And I can say without reservation that jerky will be the end result of all of my ducks from here on out.

It's good stuff, goose jerky is awesome too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from putting my stuff in my blind. There are two big new rubs right out from my blind. They've been made in the past week. I never really noticed new rubs this late in the year. At least I know there's been something with horns around. Good luck to all this weekend.