2006 Ashland Invitational

Ashland runs a fine tournament. In its earlier years, when it was one of the only holiday tournaments, the AIT attracted some of the top teams in the state. That is no longer the case because there are now many more tournaments at that time of year. For those of you who are "historians", the tournament was first called the Greenbo Invitational Tournament and held at the Ashland National Guard Armory.

Nonetheless, the AIT still attracts a decent group of schools including more local teams than in the early years. The pairings are for obvious and sound reasons. Financially, it needs Ashland to be successful as much as possible in order to keep local interest and to keep locals in attendance.

I think that any unhappiness from area fans comes from the fact that the other local teams always receive a much tougher path to the finals than does Ashland. That should be expected and, if they don't like the way it is set up, they can refuse the invitation.

As a Rose Hill supporter, I feel certain that Rose Hill will never be invited to participate and I think that is best for both schools. On the other hand, a Rose Hill invitation would probably bring invitations to Mater Dei, OHA, and DeMatha- all three of which would be in Rose Hill's bracket. It would still be a good tournament with Ashland and OHA playing for the championship and Lewis County and Mater Dei fighting for third place.

Good post, scooterbob.

Frances

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashland as the host school can invite anyone they wish and place them anywhere in the bracket. Most host schools attempt to set it up so they have a good chance of reaching the finals. I too would love to see Elliott invited, but it probably won't happen anytime soon.

Ashland runs a fine tournament. In its earlier years, when it was one of the only holiday tournaments, the AIT attracted some of the top teams in the state. That is no longer the case because there are now many more tournaments at that time of year. For those of you who are "historians", the tournament was first called the Greenbo Invitational Tournament and held at the Ashland National Guard Armory.

Nonetheless, the AIT still attracts a decent group of schools including more local teams than in the early years. The pairings are for obvious and sound reasons. Financially, it needs Ashland to be successful as much as possible in order to keep local interest and to keep locals in attendance.

I think that any unhappiness from area fans comes from the fact that the other local teams always receive a much tougher path to the finals than does Ashland. That should be expected and, if they don't like the way it is set up, they can refuse the invitation.

As a Rose Hill supporter, I feel certain that Rose Hill will never be invited to participate and I think that is best for both schools. On the other hand, a Rose Hill invitation would probably bring invitations to Mater Dei, OHA, and DeMatha- all three of which would be in Rose Hill's bracket. It would still be a good tournament with Ashland and OHA playing for the championship and Lewis County and Mater Dei fighting for third place.

Probably not after the freshman AIT fiasco.

I'm glad that most didn't take offense with my above post. It was meant to be in support of the AIT format, to give a little history, and to add a little humor. The AIT is a true asset to the Ashland area and is much more successful when Ashland performs well in it. Although it may sound good to invite OHA, Mater Dei, and DeMatha, those schools wouldn't bring much of a crowd and they always require that all their expenses be paid by the host. Even with full houses for each session, the event would be a financial disaster unless we could get Teresa Wright-Jarrell to underwrite the tournament as she did the 63rd District.

... the event would be a financial disaster unless we could get Teresa Wright-Jarrell to underwrite the tournament as she did the 63rd District.

She's a fine woman, and her heart is in the right place. I'd have to agree with you on the point that you'd have to have a very munificent sponsor to cover that tab.

Frances

Frances,

She is a fine and gracious lady and her support was vital to the success of the 63rd District Tournament.

Do you think she would share the sponsorship of the AIT with Big Sandy Super Stores? With two "mega-sponsors" we may be able to attract St. Patrick of New Jersey and Tolentine of New York along with the others.

Here is the lineup for the 2006 AIT. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday December 27-29.

Ashland

Boyd Co.

Rowan Co.

Franklin Co.

Madison Central

Ft. Thomas Highlands

Knott Central

Louisville Manual

For all of you who were so sure that Ashland wouldnt invite Elliott Co. to the AIT, Elliott are already signed up for the 2007 AIT.

Its always nice to showcase good regional teams, especially when they exhibit respect for the AIT, its tradition, its history, and those involved in putting it on. Various schools have had strong teams at different periods and periodically folks get their panties in a twist about whose invited, but to my way of thinking there is no team in our region that has ever been worth worrying about, or having to listen to their whining fans. If they are so great, I imagine one of the zillion other tourneys now going on will invite them anyway.

When the AIT hinges on any other local school - its time to close up shop:rolleyes:

Woody Jr

OK now my opinion has been reinforced

After our regions TOTAL embarassment at state this year (which will set back our reputation around the state for a LONG time) we should invite ZERO region teams :irked:

Get ANYONE DECENT from other parts of the state and give up the tradition of an "all Kentucky" format. Go get some good teams from Ohio, WV and/or elsewhere so that the better KY teams will want to come here and play.

I've suggested this for years. Its nice to stick with tradition but if we want to improve basketball, then change is needed (IMHO).

Cheers, Woody Jr