How important are Middle School Programs...

theguru

Was I napping or did you just sneak in this new Forum?

Being sneaky.

Frankly, one has to be sneaky to keep up with Randy Parker.

So how about it, how important are Middle School Programs?

I think it is more important for the smaller areas to have strong feeder programs both at middle school and youth levels. A lot of schools that have traditionally struggled to field a competitive team don't have that strong base and some areas don't even have youth football.

Being sneaky.

Frankly, one has to be sneaky to keep up with Randy Parker.

So how about it, how important are Middle School Programs?

1. Thank you for creating then new forum.

2. As someone who works with MS programs around the state, and has for a long time, and seen the benefits of solid MS programs lead to solid HS programs it is very important.

Granted talent wins out 90% of the time, but I have seen some teams who in ms, not so talented, but were real teams in the team sorta way, turn into solid HS programs.

The 'surge' of success at Simon Kenton was apparent after watching the Summit View and Twenhofel MS teams win back to back to back championships in NKY. The success at MS was clearly evident as those kids matriculated through SK. Subsequent teams have been less dominating, making me nervous about the future. The first big test of this theory is this year, so it's TBD at this point.

To add, I think one thing a good MS program does, more than anything, is adds a mentality and intelligence to a HS program at a younger age.

Prime example, and Jumper Dad can back me here, Somerset is a good example of where at the early point (MS) things are drilled in as the "Briar Jumper Way"

Belfry is another good example, there is the "Belfry Way"

Those type of mentalities are vital, specifically in football.

The 'surge' of success at Simon Kenton was apparent after watching the Summit View and Twenhofel MS teams win back to back to back championships in NKY. The success at MS was clearly evident as those kids matriculated through SK. Subsequent teams have been less dominating, making me nervous about the future. The first big test of this theory is this year, so it's TBD at this point.

Perfect example bandit.

You also have the advantage of running the HS defense and offense, basically providing a head start for those kids. Sad to see a booster or MS program not running the same stuff as the HS.

I will disagree here some. I think it is good to use the same terminology as it helps with some of the learning curve when you get to high school. However some MS teams just dont have the horses that HS team does to run everything the same.

If the HS is a pass happy team, and the MS best arm only goes for 20 yards, it may not work to run the same offense as the HS.

I've always felt like middle schools should be the learning ground for high school. I think everyone wins if the middle school is learning high school plays and offense in football and basketball. If the kids are talented enough they should see the same success once they arrive in high school.

I will say that middle school success is not nor should it be used as a template for high school success. I've seen some dominant middle school teams suffer in high school and vice versa.

I have long said the one of the major factors in the success of programs like Trinity and X Football, Assumption and Sacred Heart and Mercy Volleyball is that the CSAA has organized sports in virtually every sport beginning in first grade. When kids grow up playing sports and learning fundamentals, they're way ahead of those beginning their "careers" when they're freshman. Middle school sports are vital not only for the sports, but in getting kids involved and keeping them out of trouble.

To add, I think one thing a good MS program does, more than anything, is adds a mentality and intelligence to a HS program at a younger age.

Prime example, and Jumper Dad can back me here, Somerset is a good example of where at the early point (MS) things are drilled in as the "Briar Jumper Way"

Belfry is another good example, there is the "Belfry Way"

Those type of mentalities are vital, specifically in football.

I agree 100% Meece (Somerset) Middle School started using the same terminology and basically running the same base offense and defense several years ago. It has paid off very well as kids are more prepared to contribute earlier, which is very important for a small school with a small program.

I have seen many middle school and high school programs that seem to go out of their way not to help each other.

IMO the purpose of the MS program is to develop players for the HS program. To that end I don't understand why a MS will run an option run offense when the HS is running a spread or vice versa. Does do much to develop a QB for a HS that runs a Pro Set or Spread if all he does in MS is hand off or run the option.

Speaking personally for me, MS sports are VERY important, especially as pertaining to basketball since that is what I have experience in.

Though as most of you know I am not involved in the "typical" middle school basketball program, what we do at Fox Creek Christian is no different than what a small public or private KHSAA related school would do.

Getting the kids at an early age and teaching them the fundamentals, and teaching them the "Fox Creek way"...there's just no substitute for it.

Perfect example. Three season ago had a tall, lanky skinny kid show up wanting to play on our high school team as a junior. Being as we don't cut, he was on the team as long as he meet all requirements and followed the rules. Probably the best overall athlete I had on the team...was about 6'2 1/2, fast, fairly athletic...good lower body but fairly weak upper body. Never played organized basketball...was very very raw and unorthodox...but had ability. Played for me for two years, improved, actually had a few big games for us (20+points), and would have games he would completely disappear. Very inconsistent and timid, wouldn't bang, and he played the post for us. Anyway, point being is, I had several of his fellow teammates come up to me, some of which I had coached since they were in middle school, and say..."coach, Joey really would be something if you had gotten him in middle school". Bingo. I was teaching Joey stuff as a Jr. and Sr. that, had I had him in middle school, he would have learned then and would have developed those things over the years, rather than being behind by several years in comparison to some of his teammates.

Learning at the middle school level is of grand importance and the more they can do it, the better they and the team will be.