16th Region Wide Open

Morgan and Boyd done; this region is wide open as any. Russell not the team to beat. I dont know who is. Good luck to 16th region..

It is a shame to to see that 2 of the top 3 regions are out of the state tourney.. (boyd and morgan)

Morgan and Boyd done; this region is wide open as any. Russell not the team to beat. I dont know who is. Good luck to 16th region..

It is a shame to to see that 2 of the top 3 regions are out of the state tourney.. (boyd and morgan)

Thats why they play the games.

I agree it is wide open. Right now it's hard not to give Ashland the edge because they've won 7 in a row and they have beaten every team in the regional tournament except Fairview who they wont meet till the regional championship game or Menifee County.

1. Ashland Blazer--Playing better than anyone right now, and with an increasing ability to shoot the ball better, will be the favorite

2. Rowan County--It must be the green, because this is team that has improved all year, has a legitimate shot to repeat which was unexpected by the beginning of the season...a lot of things going Rowan's way the past couple of seasons...in terms of some good luck along the way.

3. Fairview--They will be a match up nightmare for teams playing the Eagles.

4. Elliott County--The three freshman of Evan Faulkner, Ethan Faulkner, and Johnathan Ferguson are perhaps the most talented and gifted 3 freshman (trio) on one team that has elevated their team to this level of playing. They are for real and have as good as shot as anybody.

5. Greenup County--Everyone's darkhorse....I predict they will make it to regional semi-final but ? from there. They do have the region's best band, so maybe that will propel them further?

6. Russell Red Devils--Could be #1 by next Saturday night...as they had their SCARE game...another tight one may see the regions pre season favorite out the door.

7. West Carter--Comets earned their spot into the regional tourney. They can obviously string 1 game, but 3 consecutive ?

8. Menifee County--They along with BATH COUNTY are counting the blessings that the KHSAA realigned their district. But they to earned their way to the 8 team dance. In 1992, the FEE upset East Carter in the 1st rd. of the regional tournament. With their size it could be possible.

Yes you can Goliath. There are a few teams (no disrespect intended) that cannot string 3 consecutive wins together...especially for some teams who haven't been there. Bigger stage, brighter lights, and higher stakes.

1. Ashland Blazer--Playing better than anyone right now, and with an increasing ability to shoot the ball better, will be the favorite

2. Rowan County--It must be the green, because this is team that has improved all year, has a legitimate shot to repeat which was unexpected by the beginning of the season...a lot of things going Rowan's way the past couple of seasons...in terms of some good luck along the way.

4. Elliott County--The three freshman of Evan Faulkner, Ethan Faulkner, and Johnathan Ferguson are perhaps the most talented and gifted 3 freshman (trio) on one team that has elevated their team to this level of playing. They are for real and have as good as shot as anybody.

5. Greenup County--Everyone's darkhorse....I predict they will make it to regional semi-final but ? from there. They do have the region's best band, so maybe that will propel them further?

6. Russell Red Devils--Could be #1 by next Saturday night...as they had their SCARE game...another tight one may see the regions pre season favorite out the door.

7. West Carter--Comets earned their spot into the regional tourney. They can obviously string 1 game, but 3 consecutive ?

8. Menifee County--They along with BATH COUNTY are counting the blessings that the KHSAA realigned their district. But they to earned their way to the 8 team dance. In 1992, the FEE upset East Carter in the 1st rd. of the regional tournament. With their size it could be possible.

WOW. I'd have to disagree here. I think Ashland should be a favorite, by the way they are playing right now But I'd have Russell and Fairview right on their tale. A win on Friday could put Fairview in that #1 spot as the team to beat in Morehead. What is your reasoning behind having Russell at #6. I don't understand that one.

:laugh:

Could not disagree more. Rowan at 2? They have improved but not enough to contend for the region. Ashland is peaking at the right time, but #1? Elliott and Fairview should be 1 and 2 as they were 2 to 4 all year and with.....1 and 2 now being sent home crying, shouldn't that move them up?

:argue:

Agree except Fairiview #2 and Rowan #3

Basketball is about match ups...for example.

In 2004, Morgan Co. matched up better with Ashland Blazer personnel wise than Morgan Co. did with a Lewis Co. team. However, Lewis Co. although beaten in a close game with Ashland had some match up issues there. This season, Morgan Co. matched up well with size teams such as Fairview (E.g. a 14 and a 6 point win...and the 6 point win wasn't really that close)...But given that, Fairview matched up well with Morgan because of the size at varous spots on the floor...

Rowan Co. will match up well with teams withOUT a huge post presence...

Each night is different...e.g., Heath drills Lone Oak in regular season but then gets upset in the district. South Floyd pops Prestonsburg a few weeks ago, only to be beat down this week by 20+. Basketball is different each night. The right game plan and execution by personnel match ups on the court ultimately decide outcomes.

I'll stick with aforementioned assessment...while I didn't intend for it to be an indicator of rankings or who's the best, it's IMO, the listing of teams with best odds of winning a regional title. The TEAM that can string 3 games together consecutively. There is more to it than you might think....

And just because I have Russell at #6 doesn't mean they can't win it...so don't buy too much into the numbers beside each one...

But I do think Ashland Blazer and I EXPLAINED that if they can bring the offensive output and consistency can very well win a regional title. They have athletic kids to, you know. ;)