Sweet 16 Enrollments

Oh well. Good thing they have the All A then, huh?

Damn good thing they have it or your "oh so sweet 16" would have gone the way of Indiana through multiple court cases. If you don't believe this your more naive than I thought. Just check out how hard it is for the KHSAA to just rule a kid ineligible anymore without the courts overturning it.

How many Small schools other than Shelby Valley and Paintsville have won the state title in the last 50 years?

Don't know and don't care. I don't get caught up in school size.

I graduated from Bowling Green and my kids are students at Boyle County. Neither have ever won a state title in basketball and they are 4A and 5A schools by current definition. Both were beaten out of the basketball postseason by schools smaller than them. Does that not qualify as the small school coming out on top or does it only apply when they are 1A and 2A? Shelby Valley and Painstville have more state titles in basketball than Boyle County and BG.

Damn good thing they have it or your "oh so sweet 16" would have gone the way of Indiana through multiple court cases. If you don't believe this your more naive than I thought. Just check out hard it is for the KHSAA to rule a kid ineligible anymore.

And the Sweet 16 would be ruined just like it is in Indiana. That's all I am saying the only argument you'll get from me. I could care less what the size of the school is once we get to the 16 teams representing their regions.

What's even more ironic is that a small school named Cordia benefitted from being able to play incoming transfers immediately and they would have been a small school representing the 14th Region had they won that region and people still complained about Cordia and its players eligibility.

And the Sweet 16 would be ruined just like it is in Indiana. That's all I am saying the only argument you'll get from me. I could care less what the size of the school is once we get to the 16 teams representing their regions.

What's even more ironic is that a small school named Cordia benefitted from being able to play incoming transfers immediately and they would have been a small school representing the 14th Region had they won that region and people still complained about Cordia and its players eligibility.

Matter of opinion. Many in Indiana love their system.

I live in Ohio and the folks here like the setup that is in place. If Ohio would adopt the Kentucky version of State (Sweet 16), it would no doubt be a tourney filled with Big boy schools only. I have been to several of these tourneys in Columbus and believe me no small school would be able to compete. It is night and day in the overall talent of the teams. So it's good that the smaller divisions have a chance at a State Title that otherwise would have no business being there. On the surface , I would keep Ky as it is, but it is rather telling when you see these enrollment numbers.

In regards to Ohio and Indiana and their state tournaments, I think it is safe to say that the populations of both of those states make a huge difference.

As of 2012:

Ohio has 11,544,255 people

Indiana has 6,537,334 people

Kentucky has 4,380,415 people

In Kentucky there are multiple teams in the NKY, Louisville and Lexington area that would make a run to the end if was classfied. I'd argue that people would be more incensed if we did it the way they do in those states as I guarantee schools from the larger metropolitan areas would dominate all classes. The way we do it now restricts those larger metropolitan areas from dominating each class as they all get one representative with the exception of Louisville which has the 6th and 7th regions.

One could take a look at the top 20 rankings and pick the winner for each class if the tourney was classified. The way it is now NOBODY knows who will win even when we get to the final game.

Keep doing the way you do it KY!! That's what makes it special. Bottom line is you can't more than 5 on the floor so small school, big school who cares. Not being from here and being from a State that has mulitiple champions I really do like the 1 champion process. 16 regions, 16 regional Champs and 1 State Champ. Basketball is the 1 team sport IMO that is the equalizer. Anybody can beat anybody in a 1 game tourney. Don't believe me, take a look at this year's NCAA Tourney. That's right, your bracket is in the trash like mine LOL!

I wonder had Scott Co. won if this thread would have been started? Congrats to CCH for representing the 9th Region well and ALL of NKY!

In regards to Ohio and Indiana and their state tournaments, I think it is safe to say that the populations of both of those states make a huge difference.

As of 2012:

Ohio has 11,544,255 people

Indiana has 6,537,334 people

Kentucky has 4,380,415 people

In Kentucky there are multiple teams in the NKY, Louisville and Lexington area that would make a run to the end if was classfied. I'd argue that people would be more incensed if we did it the way they do in those states as I guarantee schools from the larger metropolitan areas would dominate all classes. The way we do it now restricts those larger metropolitan areas from dominating each class as they all get one representative with the exception of Louisville which has the 6th and 7th regions.

One could take a look at the top 20 rankings and pick the winner for each class if the tourney was classified. The way it is now NOBODY knows who will win even when we get to the final game.

I'm not sure about that. Let's say there are 2 classes. Take out the 5 or so smallest schools from this years Sweet Sixteen and add the 5 next best large schools. Could you really pick the winner? And then take those 5 smaller schools that we removed and add the 11 best of the smaller schools?? Would it be easy to pick that winner too?? I'm not for a 5 or 6 class system like football. But I see no reason why a two class system would be the end of the world. Only 10% of the teams would be playing for a title with just two classes. You'd still get two really competitive Sweet 16 tourney's, that would still be well attended. No way it cheapens things. Logistically there might be some problems holding two tourney's at the same place. But think about how fun the Class A and Class AA being played back to back at Rupp would be. I think that setup would be even better attended than the current setup.

I'm not sure about that. Let's say there are 2 classes. Take out the 5 or so smallest schools from this years Sweet Sixteen and add the 5 next best large schools. Could you really pick the winner? And then take those 5 smaller schools that we removed and add the 11 best of the smaller schools?? Would it be easy to pick that winner too?? I'm not for a 5 or 6 class system like football. But I see no reason why a two class system would be the end of the world. Only 10% of the teams would be playing for a title with just two classes. You'd still get two really competitive Sweet 16 tourney's, that would still be well attended. No way it cheapens things. Logistically there might be some problems holding two tourney's at the same place. But think about how fun the Class A and Class AA being played back to back at Rupp would be. I think that setup would be even better attended than the current setup.

What schools are Class A and what schools are Class AA?

Give me a list so I can take a look. Who qualifies for each class and how?

Keep doing the way you do it KY!! That's what makes it special. Bottom line is you can't more than 5 on the floor so small school, big school who cares. Not being from here and being from a State that has mulitiple champions I really do like the 1 champion process. 16 regions, 16 regional Champs and 1 State Champ. Basketball is the 1 team sport IMO that is the equalizer. Anybody can beat anybody in a 1 game tourney. Don't believe me, take a look at this year's NCAA Tourney. That's right, your bracket is in the trash like mine LOL!

I wonder had Scott Co. won if this thread would have been started? Congrats to CCH for representing the 9th Region well and ALL of NKY!

Except, that aside from a few exceptions (that have been few and far between), the big guy normally comes out on top, so it's not really all that equal. I get the allure, and the romantic idea of David vs Goliath, but for the most part, David gets crushed. I don't dislike the current system, I just don't think a 2 class system would be that horrible or cheapen anything. I agree that 4 or even 3 classes would be too much.

Evolution and moving forward is not a bad thing, and can be healthy. You mention the NCAA tournament....remember, there was a lot of people that hated when it expanded to 64 teams. Many of the same things were said...too many bad, undeserving teams would be let in, games wouldn't be competitive, etc, etc. Sometimes it's good to let go of old ideas.

What schools are Class A and what schools are Class AA?

Give me a list so I can take a look. Who qualifies for each class and how?

I would say keep it simple. There are 304 (or so) schools that field boys basketball teams. Split it in half. The 152 largest are Class AA, and the 152 smallest are A. Still lots of chances for your David vs Goliath matchups in both classes. Without looking at enrollments, I'm guessing every school in this years Sweet Sixteen would be in "AA". I'm also guessing that the cutoff would likely an enrollment around 400-450 boys. You'd still be able to do district and regional tourneys to decide who gets to go, although this set up may create some travel issues, I think they'd be few and far between. I think things would still be pretty competitive.

Just a thought....nothing more.

I would say keep it simple. There are 304 (or so) schools that field boys basketball teams. Split it in half. The 152 largest are Class AA, and the 152 smallest are A. Still lots of chances for your David vs Goliath matchups in both classes. Without looking at enrollments, I'm guessing every school in this years Sweet Sixteen would be in "AA". I'm also guessing that the cutoff would likely an enrollment around 400-450 boys. You'd still be able to do district and regional tourneys to decide who gets to go, although this set up may create some travel issues, I think they'd be few and far between. I think things would still be pretty competitive.

Just a thought....nothing more.

Off the top of my head I am thinking Wayne County, Knott County Central and Bardstown would be Class A. I think the only classification I would be able to handle would be 2 classes but I also think both classes would be dominated by the same schools and even in Class A the dominant schools would be the ones on the cusp of becoming a Class AA school so the same problem would be evident in most cases.

Off the top of my head I am thinking Wayne County, Knott County Central and Bardstown would be Class A. I think the only classification I would be able to handle would be 2 classes but I also think both classes would be dominated by the same schools and even in Class A the dominant schools would be the ones on the cusp of becoming a Class AA school so the same problem would be evident in most cases.

You might be right. But even now, there seems to be a pretty good variety of teams every year in the sweet 16, and while some teams have made it a couple years in a row, I wouldn't say there has been a dominant team. I don't see any reason why, the smaller school class would be any different. And think about the possibilities. Maybe a team like Augusta gets to make a Sweet 16 in a two class system this year with Brent Bach getting to play at Rupp?? I think stories like that would be more likely to happen in a two class system, a small town stud gets to finish out his career on the big stage.

I'm with you though, I wouldn't want to see more than 2 classes.