Raising Minimum Wage in Food Service

Bert

While the standard minimum wage has increased the past few decades, the minimum wage for employees in occupations where tipping is the norm have been at 2.13 an hour for as long as I can recall. While I agree that the "server minimum wage" probably should have been increased along with the standard minimum wage over time, it sounds like it the server rate in Washington may be increased to the same rate as the standard. Does that sound correct to you?

NBC News - Breaking News & Top Stories - Latest World, US & Local News

When I first started working making minimum wage, the standard rate was 4.25 and the server rate was 2.13, approximately half, so it would make sense to me to keep that up, ie server rate half of standard rate. If the server rate were to be increased to the standard rate, would that affect how people tip? Would that affect how you tip?

I haven't decided what I would do. I am a firm believer if you don't want to tip 15-20% for decent/good service, don't go out to eat but now that wait staff is being paid better and (I'm assume) food prices will reflect the higher food cost, will I change my tipping norm? I would not be surprised if some restaurants don't add a line to the bill and call it a service charge which included a small percentage of the bill or something like that to reflect the wage increase. Don't know, just thought this was interesting.

I could be wrong, but I don't think most people tip based on knowing how much servers make on their pay check. I think most people tip based on the service they get. If servers are going to make the "normal" minimum wage PLUS tips, there will be lots of people quitting jobs to become servers.

I could be wrong, but I don't think most people tip based on knowing how much servers make on their pay check. I think most people tip based on the service they get. If servers are going to make the "normal" minimum wage PLUS tips, there will be lots of people quitting jobs to become servers.

I top as a percentage of the bill. It would take exceptional and almost deliberate awfulness for me to give less than 18 percent or so. 25 percent is not unusual for exceptional service.

I top as a percentage of the bill. It would take exceptional and almost deliberate awfulness for me to give less than 18 percent or so. 25 percent is not unusual for exceptional service.

My tipping philosophy is similar but that is because I assume my tip and the others he/she receives makes up most of their income. If their wage were to be increased, I am wondering if that philosophy should be reconsidered. I know in Europe, due to higher wages for wait staff, tipping is much less than the normal 18% or some that is the American standard.

If servers are going to make the "normal" minimum wage PLUS tips, there will be lots of people quitting jobs to become servers.

No kidding. Being a server could become a job like factory jobs where for each opening, 100 people apply for it.

No kidding. Being a server could become a job like factory jobs where for each opening, 100 people apply for it.

I mean think of all the people that work in the mall for example. Foot Locker, Forever 21, Gap... Why would you work at one of those places when you could go serve, make the same base pay, PLUS take home tips? It's a no-brainer.

None of this happens in a vacuum. As restaurant prices rise based on higher pay, there's no telling how people's tipping habits would change.

There would definitely be a ripple affect. If passed in Washington, restaurant prices would go up, customers would go down some degree, some restaurants would close or new restaurants have less incentive to open and total number of jobs for servers would go down also. This is sort of the argument for minimum wage. While pay for those in entry level jobs would go up, the question is, what number of entry level jobs would drop off?

I mean think of all the people that work in the mall for example. Foot Locker, Forever 21, Gap... Why would you work at one of those places when you could go serve, make the same base pay, PLUS take home tips? It's a no-brainer.

I waited tables for three years at Rafferty's while in college. I did well. IMO it is already a no brainer to wait tables as opposed to a retail job in the mall.

Your mind set as server is all about the income from tips. Usually you don't even get a check as the $2.13 is used towards your taxes. Some weeks you owe the restaurant money. Talk about a cruddy paystub when it has a negative sign in front of the number.

Bartenders would be the biggest winner from this if they increased base to $10. I was a bartender in college and for a little bit after. I can't ever see myself not tipping well for that reason. But if prices jumped because of it I would have to reconsider it. Think about it if bar's had to increase bartender hourly wage my bourbon on the rocks is going up with it and not by any small amount.

I gotta be honest...if a server is making $9.00 or $10.00 an hour...I and all the other patrons will be paying for that in some way, probably by higher food prices...and my tip is probably gonna get smaller, and I might not feel bad for not leaving one at all under some circumstances, even if getting decent service. Hey, I didn't tip the guy who worked in the factory that made the floor mats for my car who's probably making $10.00 an hour. This is not a slap in the face to those that do or have served, I worked in to food industry for my first job and I feel for those that do a good job and deal with the crazies out there, and it can be hard work. But there comes a point in time when you have to do what you have to do.

I'll be the jerk that says it, but if servers and bartenders are making $10 an hour, they probably would get my rounded off change as their tip instead of the 25%ish that I do now.

If I were a server I wouldn't want that big of a jump because I think most people are going to think like you. As a former bartender you didn't care about the hourly wage the money was in the tips. If you were a good bartender or at a good location you could easily clear $300 bucks on a weekend night. Why would I want a big hourly wage that would mess with that.

I know in Europe, due to higher wages for wait staff, tipping is much less than the normal 18% or some that is the American standard.

I lived in Germany for 3 years. The servers get full salaries like the other employees, and you don't really tip. You just round up the bill to the next Euro.

I lived in Germany for 3 years. The servers get full salaries like the other employees, and you don't really tip. You just round up the bill to the next Euro.

That's pretty much the way it is in all of European countries I've been to.

You round it up to the nearest euro, if it was particularly good you might leave an extra Euro or two. At no time would you tip the way we do here.