Trash Talking

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at the facts presented.

i see Sherman run up to Crabtree and start taunting him after the most painful play of the 49ers season and it's Crabtree's fault for trying to get Sherman away from him?

then I hear Sherman's interview basically calling Crabtree a punk and horrible WR on national TV to Erin Andrews and then basically repeating the same in another interview on national tv.

Yet it is Crabtree who is in the wrong? The guy who kept their indifferences between he and Sherman and not on national tv.

Yea,

Crabtree is the punk here lol. Get real

Totally agree! It's not like Crabtree tried to rip Sherman's head off.

I love trash talking. Family is off limits. Everything else is fair game. I love watching two people talk trash to either with their mouths and in basketball I like when two people guarding each other go back and forth also like Kyrie Irving and Brandon Knight? did during All star weekend last year.

I think people would be surprised at the trash talking that goes on at the middle school level on basketball courts. Kid hits a three on another kid and kid who hit it will say "face".

Trash talking at the high school level happens nightly. I'll always remember my oldest playing against Anthony Hickey and him telling me how corny Anthony Hickey was. :lol:

This, except the part about family.

In mine...especially, amongst the men it's almost always on during anything competitive.

...and, usually it's coming from the oldest.

A few decades ago the cultural norm in high school athletics was to be a good sportsman, to tell your opponent "nice hit" or "good shot." Now, the accepted if not mandated behavior is to trash talk your opponent. This is probably not a development that we as a society should be proud of. I suppose it is reflective of society as a whole.

A few decades ago the cultural norm in high school athletics was to be a good sportsman, to tell your opponent "nice hit" or "good shot." Now, the accepted if not mandated behavior is to trash talk your opponent. This is probably not a development that we as a society should be proud of. I suppose it is reflective of society as a whole.

Very true. I remember those times as well. (Talked to a lot of base runners playing first base). But I also remember some "trash" talk at that time too. But, it was limited to something like a DL saying to a QB after a sack "Gonna be a long night"...or a WR saying to a safety after a hit across the middle "That's all you got?" Very minor in today's world.

For those of you who say anything is fair game (outside of family)...does that include sexual preferences or race? Because I think there's a fine line between talking trash and just trying to insult a person.

I haven't read the thread but I have a few thoughts:

I'm fine with trash talking but it should not overtake the game.

I'm fine with trash talking, but leave it on the court. It's a problem if it carries over off the court (especially on amateur levels).

It's easy to dislike a person/player for their actions on the court, but I try not to judge a person's character while they're playing. People express emotions differently and Lord knows I hope people didn't judge the type of person that I am at home/work/school by my actions on the court.

It's about having fun and challenging one another. For some, that includes trash talking. That's fine by me. But, if you dish it out, you need to be able to take it (and any consequences that result from it).

Just my $0.03