St. X New football field and Athletic Complex

JumperPride

Anyone else get a sick feeling in their stomach knowing that their high school will never get a facility like that. Was it just me or did ST. X look like a small college.

It's like they alway's said, "money makes the world go round."

No. What they do is applaudable and great, but don't dare be jealous of them, because more than anything that is what they want. :lol: (I'm only half kidding)

It was only this last season that they rented a field with a public school that is by all measurements thier equal academically.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else get a sick feeling in their stomach knowing that their high school will never get a facility like that. Was it just me or did ST. X look like a small college.

You can achieve this at your public school. Start with the base that the taxpayer has already given you- classrooms, labs, computers, parking facilities, football stadium, basketball arena, fully paid tuition, etc. Then, simply add in a fraction of your personal assets. Voila! You have a facility that exceeds the one at X. After all, in all its years X has never had its own football stadium. Neither have some other Louisville area Catholic schools: DeSales, or the late, great Flaget. As cautioned by your compatriot RowdyRedRam in his post above, there is no need to be jealous. If you desire a "facility like that" have your school community conduct its own drive for excellence. Of course, this will entail hard work and sacrifice, both more difficult than accepting government handouts and criticizing the hard work, sacrifice and success of others.

I would have to add to this discussion...before people start blasting X & T about their facilities....remember long ago when Male had to relocate to Preston Hwy they built their football field which (at that time) was a Taj Mahal of its day. I remember many public schools were OUTRAGED that they got a new, modern day stadium while all the other schools continued to play in "crap". I could be wrong, but I am willing to guess that since Male is a public school (even though it is a traditional school) that money came from the local and state government. I for one, personally think that each year, the state (or city, or whoever) should kick in enough money to renovate many of the schools busted up stadiums that have become run-down. Not all of it is due to lack of interest...but lack of available funds.

As I have said before, what T & X and other private schools do with their money...its up to them. They got it....they spend it. WHen JCPS schools get their money....spend it to upgrade the fields. Dont blame X or T....blame the system...man...blame the system :jump:

I would have to add to this discussion...before people start blasting X & T about their facilities....remember long ago when Male had to relocate to Preston Hwy they built their football field which (at that time) was a Taj Mahal of its day. I remember many public schools were OUTRAGED that they got a new, modern day stadium while all the other schools continued to play in "crap". I could be wrong, but I am willing to guess that since Male is a public school (even though it is a traditional school) that money came from the local and state government. I for one, personally think that each year, the state (or city, or whoever) should kick in enough money to renovate many of the schools busted up stadiums that have become run-down. Not all of it is due to lack of interest...but lack of available funds.

As I have said before, what T & X and other private schools do with their money...its up to them. They got it....they spend it. WHen JCPS schools get their money....spend it to upgrade the fields. Dont blame X or T....blame the system...man...blame the system :jump:

Male build their athletics facilities with Alumni Association Monies. I am sure there was a chip in by the board but I know that most was form the alumni. Smae with what is going on at FC but at a much slower pace. JCPS incourages extra curricular activities for sure but when money is involved could care less if they existed.

Male build their athletics facilities with Alumni Association Monies. I am sure there was a chip in by the board but I know that most was form the alumni. Smae with what is going on at FC but at a much slower pace. JCPS incourages extra curricular activities for sure but when money is involved could care less if they existed.

If this is fact it puzzles me. I have suggested that many of the long standing public schools should rely more on alumni giving to raise money to improve facilities. I was told this wasn't allowed in the public school system.

If this is fact it puzzles me. I have suggested that many of the long standing public schools should rely more on alumni giving to raise money to improve facilities. I was told this wasn't allowed in the public school system.

I think that it is permissable to allow alumni to support booster clubs for individual sports but the problem is with some schools having very little alumni support it would take 20 years for some schools to even be able to think about building/renovating their facilities. And of course by the time 20 years roll around...you know that money will have to towards equipment, uniforms, etc. If you figure that a "good" alumni drive for some schools generates about $2,000....that would mean it would take 5 years to raise just $10,000....and that might put new turf on the field. If nothing else, it would have to come down to doing a little piece at a time. Its a tough deal for schools in Jefferson Co. with little or no support.

Sometimes the money sources are scared away from contributing to certain programs. What I mean by this is that an alumnus may wish to contribute "x" amount of dollars to a single program at a particular school. Word of such a generous contribution gets around to other programs and possibly the AD. Next thing you know there are 5-6 more coaches and booster presidents calling this same generous alumnus and "hounding" them for their share. I have seen this happen at at least two schools.

Regardless, their are so many things that the public school programs need more than upgrading their fields Most public school football programs do not even have an annual budget to purchase neccessary equipment year to year. An ambitious coach starting at a school as a new head coach should ask for the moon because they will not get anything after the courtship and honeymoon are over. Many coaches sell candy and gold cards just to have the money to pay for needed uniforms and equipment upkeep.

These are not excuses just facts. Until the local boards decide that extracurriculur activities are important enough, to allocate a reasonable amount of money, then there will be little hope for facilities being improved. We know all too well that there is only a small percentage of parents in public schools that are willing to work through boosters organizations to get the essentials taken care of via fundraisers. Again, the system allows the deadbeat parents to take advantage of the hard work of the few.

Every child should be allowed to participate but the price should be the same for all. Back to the topic. A very generous gift was recenetly left for a local program from an alumnus. This gift was a substantial amount but is quickly tapped when you start talking about new lights and/or field turf. Jefferson County will not budget any money for the general upkeep and renovation of a football field.

I put a fund raising idea in that forum...it's a quick way..(1 night) to raise a couple thousand....as long as you are a not-for profit org. The local comedy club has the deal and its fun for all...

I hate to hear about the lack of funds for the athletic departments...I believe that sports..if taught right.....really add to one's character development. I believe that it is an essential part of education.

Where is all that lottery money going? Do you think that if all of us on BGP put together a petition to our representatives in Frankfort that it would make a difference? Any ideas?

I put a fund raising idea in that forum...it's a quick way..(1 night) to raise a couple thousand....as long as you are a not-for profit org. The local comedy club has the deal and its fun for all...

I hate to hear about the lack of funds for the athletic departments...I believe that sports..if taught right.....really add to one's character development. I believe that it is an essential part of education.

Where is all that lottery money going? Do you think that if all of us on BGP put together a petition to our representatives in Frankfort that it would make a difference? Any ideas?

A very good question. I am sure some bean counter in the Lottery can tell us to the penny what has been contributed. Can anyone within the state board tell us what that money (to the penny) has been spent on? I know there are more than one set of Hearnses that have gotten their grubby paws on money that should have bought computers or books. Regardless, the bottom line is that too much money is spent on a lot of "FAT CAT" administrators that could be replaced by a few modest, hard working, honest people. It is a perfect example of everybody expecting the most out of something (sports) that we are willing to support the least financially. Almost like wanting to give free cheese to people but complaining about taxes.

Fern CReek got their Alumni Assoc rolling 5-6 years ago and their account is very nice. They run a bingo and do much fundraising. They can donate all they want. It has to be its own association seperate but in the school to get monies without JCPS gobbling them up. The same guy that got Male's running strong is at Fern CReek now and he is doing the same there, He was the principal at Male when the new place was built. The board did the school and the Alumni did the athletic facilities.

Fern CReek got their Alumni Assoc rolling 5-6 years ago and their account is very nice. They run a bingo and do much fundraising. They can donate all they want. It has to be its own association seperate but in the school to get monies without JCPS gobbling them up. The same guy that got Male's running strong is at Fern CReek now and he is doing the same there, He was the principal at Male when the new place was built. The board did the school and the Alumni did the athletic facilities.

Then I see good things in the future for Fern Creek athletics.

This is exactly what every school needs....it's not easy, and I'm sure you can attest to that, but it can be done! :thumb: