The Grey Area of "Cheating"

JokersWild24

Or, maybe its everytime the Lyons Club throws another "rolled meat" special into the microwave at the concession stand on the far sideline and gives it a spin that could be interfering with signals.

If you recall, Lyons Club only sold 3 of those things all day that Sat and UC coach has three interruptions, coincidence??? I think not :thumb:

:puke::puke: :puke:

Didn't catch your play on words till I read it a 2nd time.......I have to admit, excellent play.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing the play and stopping the play are two completely different things. And even knowing the play, getting the defensive adjustment in place in a short time with no electronic communication to the players, is still not an easy task. Also, let's face it, for the most part, high schools aren't running terribly complicated plays, and aren't great at disguising them. You know what a team likes to do, and good game planning should put you in a position where you have a pretty good idea of what you need to do. And if a team adds new wrinkles from week to week, you won't be able to steal the signs for the new plays, because you've never seen them before. Because of all this, I really don't think cheating is a major problem. I'm sure there are those that are trying to do it, but I don't think they are getting a competitive advantage because of it.

Quick Google search and two of the top links. 2 minutes of searching disproves the whole "its too complicated" and "tin foil hats". One story in Philly, one story in Charlotte; not really two very related areas. Cell phones are more complicated than an unsecured frequency that a high school would typically use.

Are Cell Phone Jammers The Next Big Thing? - Forbes

Teacher brings cell phone jammer to class - News 14

NOTE: Using a cell phone jammer is a violation of federal law (FCC) and is extremely dangerous because it can also block emergency signals like those used by ambulances, etc. Using or even trying to purchase one is against the law.

Edited by JokersWild24

Not even close to the topic at hand.

The articles mention how the jammers can be used to block ANY type of frequencies.

An excerpt from the Forbes article:

"A jammer, which blocks radio frequencies, isn’t just limited to blocking personal cell phone use, but all communication tools that use these frequencies."

Coulda woulda shoulda doesn't get it. Point of order, wouldn't someone be blocking their OWN signals also? Again, has nothing to do with the conversation here. No one is denying cheating happens, stories on here support that. That's why the thread was started.

Coulda woulda shoulda doesn't get it. Point of order, wouldn't someone be blocking their OWN signals also? Again, has nothing to do with the conversation here. No one is denying cheating happens, stories on here support that. That's why the thread was started.

I'm sorry, I'm not following what you are trying to get at on the bolded.

And if you were going to block someone's signals at a critical point in the game, and knew you were going to do it, you'd prepare accordingly.

Someone could get a jammer with a low range, have a plant in the stands near the opposing team, and that might not effect the cheating team's signal. Or you could just prepare by having someone on the sidelines give some type of signal when the person using the device should "start jamming", and call your own play/adjustments from the sidelines.

People have spoke about good teams and programs not doing it.

I know Rush Probst is a good coach, and that you'd have to have a good team and good coaching staff to beat him.

High school football team cleared of stealing signals » Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/famous-coach-accuses-assistant-fired-stealing-signs-foe-102915686.html

I know that the article states that the team did nothing wrong because there was no bylaw that explicitly prevented a member of the staff from sitting in the stands with binoculars, but it was something that was mentioned on here before and thought it was interesting.

Just me, but if I were very sure that a team had stolen my signals, I might play along for awhile, then when I needed a score, use the signal that called for a route that called for my best receiver to run a curl, but tell my QB and best receiver to run a double move like a hitch and go.

I am saying what was termed suspicious wasn't suspicious, just problems. Am I reading you right that you're admitting that your team has done this? I am saying there are teams that are above it. Good teams don't need to do it.

If you're talking about college basketball? Sure, of course, they all do, pretty obvious. High school football? Not sure, but there's some illegal stuff that does happen that you're just taking for granted and just keeping yourself from seeing, hence the "Grey Area" as this topic would call it (Also, if it happens in YOUTH football, I'd say it probably is somewhat common in high school). You can say a good team doesn't have to, but the Patriots did it as well, and MANY other "good" or "great" teams have cheated as well in the past. Should I even list off all the college basketball coaches or college football coaches that have in fact been caught? Seriously dude, don't act like it doesn't happen. Like I said it's naive. Also same for you LB. Good-Great teams don't need to, but they're still as likely as anyone to. Also, you're seriously not understanding how the whole jammer thing works. Jokers pretty much has it on lock down.

Edited by blueandgold

I'm sorry, I'm not following what you are trying to get at on the bolded.

And if you were going to block someone's signals at a critical point in the game, and knew you were going to do it, you'd prepare accordingly.

Someone could get a jammer with a low range, have a plant in the stands near the opposing team, and that might not effect the cheating team's signal. Or you could just prepare by having someone on the sidelines give some type of signal when the person using the device should "start jamming", and call your own play/adjustments from the sidelines.

It means you're sure making a stretch of an argument.

If you're talking about college basketball? Sure, of course, they all do, pretty obvious. High school football? Not sure, but there's some illegal stuff that does happen that you're just taking for granted and just keeping yourself from seeing, hence the "Grey Area" as this topic would call it (Also, if it happens in YOUTH football, I'd say it probably is somewhat common in high school). You can say a good team doesn't have to, but the Patriots did it as well, and MANY other "good" or "great" teams have cheated as well in the past. Should I even list off all the college basketball coaches or college football coaches that have in fact been caught? Seriously dude, don't act like it doesn't happen. Like I said it's naive. Also same for you LB. Good-Great teams don't need to, but they're still as likely as anyone to. Also, you're seriously not understanding how the whole jammer thing works. Jokers pretty much has it on lock down.

Better adjust your tin foil, it's leaking. Top programs at the high school level are the least likely to try to cheat. They don't need to, they have the most to lose and it's been my experience that the top programs are led by top shelf men who simply wouldn't condone it. It ain't going to happen without the top man's say so. Joker can put all kinds of what if's out there but the bottom line is it's just not worth it.

Better adjust your tin foil, it's leaking. Top programs at the high school level are the least likely to try to cheat. They don't need to, they have the most to lose and it's been my experience that the top programs are led by top shelf men who simply wouldn't condone it. It ain't going to happen without the top man's say so. Joker can put all kinds of what if's out there but the bottom line is it's just not worth it.

Below is a full article from the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Please, read the whole thing and watch the video linked in the article.

If "good coaches don't have to do it", why is two-time Florida coach of the year and winner of 3 State Championships whose still at a top high school program, having to do this?

Like you said, it doesn't happen without the top man's say so. I don't think the coach in question here was watching with binoculars because he had a bad view.

Propst says Lowndes coach?s denial of stealing signs is ?a blatant lie?; GHSA is investigating | Prep Zone: High School Sports