The Grey Area of "Cheating"

JokersWild24

Lol! I can't believe you bit Henry. I thought for sure LN would have said don't even think about it. Looking at the time of your post, he's probably already sleeping. He will see it at 3;45 am when he logs on. Lol!

Really doesnt justify a response. They have bigger issues with 91.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same exact thing happened in last years Highlands/ CCH playoff game. Tons of headset trouble.

Highlands would have won anyway- but it is interesting to hear that other teams have had trouble there.

I'm confused... doesn't each team use their own set of equipment, including headsets? How would a team be able to cause another team's headsets to malfunction, unless they were supplying the headsets to their opponent?

I'm confused... doesn't each team use their own set of equipment, including headsets? How would a team be able to cause another team's headsets to malfunction, unless they were supplying the headsets to their opponent?

They do supply and bring their own equipment...

Maybe their equipment is Saltwater activated and just didnt like the good ole KY Mountain Dew in the air,

It could just maybe be the new electronics system with the JumBIRDtron that is interfering a radio wave.

IDK, or maybe we are just cheating. Maybe we have some 64lb 7th grader nicknamed "Shorty" sitting at a desk with his laptop in a 4'x4' dark room with 12" thick concrete walls and a lead door with a sign on it that says...

"Caution - DO NOT ENTER - We are interfering with communications and we are stealing our opponents plays"

They do supply and bring their own equipment...

Maybe their equipment is Saltwater activated and just didnt like the good ole KY Mountain Dew in the air,

It could just maybe be the new electronics system with the JumBIRDtron that is interfering a radio wave.

IDK, or maybe we are just cheating. Maybe we have some 64lb 7th grader nicknamed "Shorty" sitting at a desk with his laptop in a 4'x4' dark room with 12" thick concrete walls and a lead door with a sign on it that says...

"Caution - DO NOT ENTER - We are interfering with communications and we are stealing our opponents plays"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done. :thumb:

Lol! I can't believe you bit Henry. I thought for sure LN would have said don't even think about it. Looking at the time of your post, he's probably already sleeping. He will see it at 3;45 am when he logs on. Lol!

Really doesnt justify a response. They have bigger issues with 91.

I was just stating the obvious, UC was having issues with their headsets, I stated it in the game thread as well. I was not trying to start some "let's accuse Highlands of this or that", that can be left to you know who do to that. As jbwill states below....."doesn't each team use their own set of equipment, including headsets"? I don't know, do they??????

Seriously, I have no idea, does the home team provide headsets to the visiting team?

What message do you send to the young men you coach when you resort to these tactics?

I remember coaching at Trinity Valley School when we played Oakridge. Oakridge had 4 Division 1 prospects including Ross Apo, who was starting at WR for BYU prior to suffering multiple concussions. We had none at the time, although a sophomore ending up progressing and playing at Rice he wasn't being recruited at that time. Anyway, one of their DB's lost their wrist band with defensive plays on it. One of our WR's snuck the band over to our head coach so we could steal their signals. We knew Oakridge was good. We also knew there was a potential we would see them again in the title game. The coach called over a referee and gave him the band and told him that it belonged to Oakridge and ask the ref to return it. The coach then turned to the WR and said "We earn our wins at TVS. No short cuts."

There are lots of lessons to be learned playing football and if you don't have a coach willing to teach them, then you should find the right guy. Some things are bigger than the game, IMO.

BTW, we did see Oakridge in the title game. Oakridge lost two games that season, both to TVS. No short cuts!

:thumb:

Like that. May the best person win!

Edited by JokersWild24

Yes. But if you are a techie, there are ways to scramble/interfere with signals, eavesdrop on channels, etc.

They plug their equipment into your outlets, use your wireless networks, bandwidth, etc.

Only to small minds who believe in conspiracies.

Considering the ease with which the average high school coach (i.e., an assistant or otherwise) could (unbeknownst to other members of the staff) use technology to gain an advantage given our current climate, I don't think that someone who recognizes the possibility that someone be able to employ unscrupulous methods to gain an advantage to win a big high school game and promote themselves and their program is necessarily wearing a tin foil hat though.

I don't know-- maybe (illegally) picking up a wireless signal or using a new technology to gain an advantage isn't as easy as some make it out to be, but at the same time, maybe it easier than others make it out to be too.

Yes. But if you are a techie, there are ways to scramble/interfere with signals, eavesdrop on channels, etc.

They plug their equipment into your outlets, use your wireless networks, bandwidth, etc.

Considering the ease with which the average high school coach (i.e., an assistant or otherwise) could (unbeknownst to other members of the staff) use technology to gain an advantage given our current climate, I don't think that someone who recognizes the possibility that someone be able to employ unscrupulous methods to gain an advantage to win a big high school game and promote themselves and their program is necessarily wearing a tin foil hat though.

I don't know-- maybe (illegally) picking up a wireless signal or using a new technology to gain an advantage isn't as easy as some make it out to be, but at the same time, maybe it easier than others make it out to be too.

IMHO, I would be shocked if this was taking place at any school.

COULD happen and labeling something suspicious are two different levels. Tin foil hats are a good description.

Let me preface this.....I am in NO WAY accusing Highlands of ANY misdeeds, however it was clear that University Christian was having some sort of issue with their headsets when they played the Birds. I saw more than once coaches switching headsets when they had problems getting plays into the game.

Highlands does not have to do anything "shady" to beat an opponent.

Teams travel with their own headsets, they are not provided by the host school.

IMHO, I would be shocked if this was taking place at any school.

COULD happen and labeling something suspicious are two different levels. Tin foil hats are a good description.

I wouldn't be so quick to discredit the possibility. I've known programs to do worse.

I really think you are underestimating the relative ease of tapping into someone's frequency/channel, etc.

I don't know of anyone personally doing it, but I would imagine that LOTS of illegal video taping goes on (taping scrimmages, taping signals, etc). I don't remember the name, but I think a basketball coach has been disciplined by the KHSAA in the past 5 or so years for illegally filming.

If objectively looking at the evidence that it's actually happened recently (where someone was caught, which leads one to wonder how often it happens where people aren't caught) means I'm "wearing a tin foil hat", then I guess I'm just looking for a heart and trying to get Dorthy back to Kansas.

When I coached youth football, my players had play bands and I would hold up large laminated cards with numbers on them that corresponded with numbers and plays on their play bands. Yes, we ran a no huddle offense in youth football. Coaches were constantly screaming the numbers to their players because they had scouted my numbers and thought they knew the plays.

Little did they know, we would have a multiplier for the number that I changed from game to game like, "add one to every number I hold up", or "subtract one from every number I hold up".

But, nonetheless, coaches scouted my number cards in youth football. Don't you think high school coaches would similar things?