Your 2006 Football Preview for your team

Macaroni

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the Juniors will only push them to be better. It is a good problem.

Yes, fear of losing your shot at a starting position is a great motivator. If the seniors lead and the juniors push, they'll only get better. The other good thing about this scenario is it should provide great depth, the ability to wear down opponents.

I have to disagree. Unless they have a lot more speed besides Calhoun (who I really hope is healed up from his hip injury and ready for his senior season as I like that kid a lot), I didn't see them as having any more team speed than South Laurel or GRC (the prohibitive favorite for the 2006 season with all they bring back) and definitely not as much as Madison Central (who most think will be down, but we thought that 2 years ago, and all they did was go unbeaten in district play and make the regional finals that season before losing to eventual AAAA runnerup Scott County). I think Lincoln will be right in the hunt and that the district will be wide open. But I am not sure they are ready to jump from not making the playoffs to winning the district just yet. But I agree that they will be a very solid team in 2006!

GRC, 2006 if everybody stay on the same page, they will be hard to stop.

I expect PRP to a major player this year in this race. As I said before, now that they have a year under Wolfe's system and they had as much success as they did least year (especially against top teams) I am sure they gained many "hidden" athletes that did not play last year. I really look for them to place no lower than 3rd in the district. I think they will beat Manual, Butler and Iroquois, they will give Male a fight (as they did last year) and probably will be very difficult against X. One problem that PRP has had in the past is depth at skill positions. Usually they have struggled against Male, X & Manual because they didnt have key back-ups to give their starters a rest now and then. This year could be different. Im saving my final prediction for the start of season but I do see them as having the ability to knock off either X or Male this year.

As for Iroquois, as I said before it does become a numbers game with them. Not to mention that its hard to establish any type of consistency when coaching changes occur every 2-3 years. Coach Thompson appears to be willing to stick around for a few years (this is his 3rd year) and that could help them out a lot. And yes, its true that a certain type of offense is not the answer to everyone's problems but it can help if the kids get excited about it and believe in it. It could just one of the many steps they need to take to improving their situation.

I think you are correct about this team. I thought our game with them last year was one of the toughest fights we had. They play hard and with the addition of a few key players, they could be a factor in the district. At the start of the playoffs I picked them to be the darkhorse to upset some people and advance further thatn they did. I like the way coach Wolfe is molding this program. They have always had some good athletes there, now they are beginning to have a pretty good team. I hope and expect, though, the Tigers can stay a step ahead of them. Strength in numbers is still a factor in X's favor. Year after year they have shown how to win playing team ball.

Nice Preview :thumb:

I agree, however I also agree that Male and X should be switched. The past couple of years Males freshmen and JV teams haven't been too hot, if I remember correctly, while Xs have been smoking. I hope that Tigerdude has underrated Manual, but he's right on it being a rebuilding year, and it wouldn't surprise me to see most people have similar rankings on R2D4 for Manual. But from what I hear, they're sounding similar to the 2001 team that went 9-2; very hardworking and disciplined. The bonus for Manual is the lack of pressure, as they should know that eyes are gazing elswhere for a dark horse.

I agree, however I also agree that Male and X should be switched. The past couple of years Males freshmen and JV teams haven't been too hot, if I remember correctly, while Xs have been smoking. I hope that Tigerdude has underrated Manual, but he's right on it being a rebuilding year, and it wouldn't surprise me to see most people have similar rankings on R2D4 for Manual. But from what I hear, they're sounding similar to the 2001 team that went 9-2; very hardworking and disciplined. The bonus for Manual is the lack of pressure, as they should know that eyes are gazing elswhere for a dark horse.

I agree that Male's JV & Freshmen teams havent really panned out the usual successes that Redman is probably accustomed to having in the early and mid 90's. It seems to me that Male is really going through a drought when it comes to overall talent at all positions. Its not like the days when they had a team of Ibn Green, Chris Redman, Chris Pointer, Montrell Jones, Chris Barclay and of course, Mike Bush. Even their defense had a load of talent and speed at all positions. Now it just seems that Male is getting "average" talent at these other positions and have one, maybe two, real talented players (Beaumont). I know that everyone is very high on Justin Green and yes, he is supposed to be another dominant player in the mold of the Killer "B"'s (Beaumont, Barclay and Bush). But the injury he suffered in the JV game against Butler almost took his life and from what Im hearing its up in the air if he will even be able to play football anymore. Even if he does play, one man cant beat X, PRP and Manual. Male will always be tough but I doubt they will ever really return to that status of having an "elite" team as they once did. With each game it just seems to me that they are getting more and more beatable. I truly believe that Male is going to suffer some down years after this season. And as much as I like and respect Bob Redman...I often wonder how much longer before he calls it quits at Male?

I agree that Male's JV & Freshmen teams havent really panned out the usual successes that Redman is probably accustomed to having in the early and mid 90's. It seems to me that Male is really going through a drought when it comes to overall talent at all positions. Its not like the days when they had a team of Ibn Green, Chris Redman, Chris Pointer, Montrell Jones, Chris Barclay and of course, Mike Bush. Even their defense had a load of talent and speed at all positions. Now it just seems that Male is getting "average" talent at these other positions and have one, maybe two, real talented players (Beaumont). I know that everyone is very high on Justin Green and yes, he is supposed to be another dominant player in the mold of the Killer "B"'s (Beaumont, Barclay and Bush). But the injury he suffered in the JV game against Butler almost took his life and from what Im hearing its up in the air if he will even be able to play football anymore. Even if he does play, one man cant beat X, PRP and Manual. Male will always be tough but I doubt they will ever really return to that status of having an "elite" team as they once did. With each game it just seems to me that they are getting more and more beatable. I truly believe that Male is going to suffer some down years after this season. And as much as I like and respect Bob Redman...I often wonder how much longer before he calls it quits at Male?

I have heard that he will exit with Beaumont. Just friendly coaches circles a very reliable source told me. Also was told look for Male to run the ball thsi eyar a lot more with Doug at QB and really trying to run the QB option like Northwestern. Similar to X and Victor Anderson.

I have heard that he will exit with Beaumont. Just friendly coaches circles a very reliable source told me. Also was told look for Male to run the ball thsi eyar a lot more with Doug at QB and really trying to run the QB option like Northwestern. Similar to X and Victor Anderson.

With no real talent at QB they will have no choice but to run the ball.

Male pretty much has two options at QB...they can use Beaumont but that will pretty much limit them in terms of not being as diverse as usual. Or they can use their JR QB ( i dont know his name off hand) who is a runner too. This kid played a lot of garbage minutes in their early season blow out games last year and he can run the option well. That may give them a better opportunity to use Beaumont at TB or WB.

I have also heard the rumors about Redman leaving after Beaumont leaves. The funny thing is...I have been hearing that ever since Bush was a Sophomore HA HA. Who knows.

So the next forum question for a later date is: Who could replace Redman at Male?

So the next forum question for a later date is: Who could replace Redman at Male?

What's with you green boys always trying to move out successful public coaches??? I sometimes think that there is a contengency in the private communities that feels the need to defame public coaches who have success.

I don't mean that personally to you TigerDude13, nor do I mean to imply you are making up the rumor, but it is a trend I find to common and distasteful, especially when those rumors seem to reach the ears of rec league parents so fast.

What's with you green boys always trying to move out successful public coaches??? I sometimes think that there is a contengency in the private communities that feels the need to defame public coaches who have success.

I don't mean that personally to you TigerDude13, nor do I mean to imply you are making up the rumor, but it is a trend I find to common and distasteful, especially when those rumors seem to reach the ears of rec league parents so fast.

Actually, bro, I find it a completely legit question. He's been there for a long while. I've even heard non-green-based rumors of Chris being an expected candidate.

Actually, bro, I find it a completely legit question. He's been there for a long while. I've even heard non-green-based rumors of Chris being an expected candidate.
Being there a long while doesn't mean anything, he is not old enough to assume he can't coach. But rumors that he would leave could effect prospective Male players decision on where to attend High School.

Its not like the days when they had a team of Ibn Green, Chris Redman, Chris Pointer, Montrell Jones, Chris Barclay and of course, Mike Bush.

What days are you talking about? Chris Redman was in the NFL when those last three guys led Male to their last state title. BTW, I would never count Male out and I would never predict Red's departure. :lol:

Being there a long while doesn't mean anything, he is not old enough to assume he can't coach. But rumors that he would leave could effect prospective Male players decision on where to attend High School.

How could this be? I thought there was a procees to attend Male that started back in grade school. Do you actually mean that students actually consider something other than academics when making that decision? That sounds a lot like they are... well you know.