Your 2006 Football Preview for your team

Macaroni

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class AAAA, Semi 1, Region 2, District 4

Although I dont really follow one team, I would like to offer this preview for the above district based on conversations with some area coaches...

1. Male- Early Mr. Football candidate Douglas Beaumont looks to lead a bulldog team returning key starters on both sides of the ball back to the top of district. Replacing QB Anderson will be hard but projected starter will be a kid who is known more for his running abilities rather than throwing. Look for Male utilize more option plays and sprint out plays to take advantage of QB's abilities. Days of 250-300 yard passing yards per game may be over for a while...but ground game could be difficult with all the speed they return.

2- St. X nothing much changes...Glaser will use same philosophy of balanced offense with tough defense to battle through this district. Vic Anderson is sure to be a key focus for most opponents which could open up other aspects of the offense.

3- PRP After a year under Chris Wolfe, Panthers look to unleash their fury on the district and perhaps knock off perennial powers St. X & Male. Combination of speed of aggressive defense will be the key for this team. QB will return with better understanding of offense along with a solid backfield and speedy receivers. This could be the year for Panthers to post some good wins against one of the toughest districts in the state.

4- Manual After losing a lot of starters from last year's teams, Crimsons will have to endure a rebuilding year. Team will still be talented on both sides of the ball but not enough to overtake Male and St. X and look for a struggle against PRP.

5- Butler New coach in town but it will take some time to get to know the offensive schemes. Butler should be ready to make a solid run in the 2007 season but for now they will need to use this year to adjust to new coach.

6- Iroquois Raiders are returning 16 starters on both offense and defense and could very easily begin season 5-0 but when District play begins, Raiders will be battling it out with Butler for 5th place in the district. Key losses include QB and LBs but Seniors Nate Anderson (A potential D1 player) and speedy WR McCaffey could lead Iroquois to at least being a tougher opponent in this district. One coach was quoted as saying "this is a team that doesnt quit even if they are down 50 points...they are just one of those teams that if you arent careful...they can beat you"

Class AAAA, Semi 1, Region 2, District 4

Although I dont really follow one team, I would like to offer this preview for the above district based on conversations with some area coaches...

1. Male- Early Mr. Football candidate Douglas Beaumont looks to lead a bulldog team returning key starters on both sides of the ball back to the top of district. Replacing QB Anderson will be hard but projected starter will be a kid who is known more for his running abilities rather than throwing. Look for Male utilize more option plays and sprint out plays to take advantage of QB's abilities. Days of 250-300 yard passing yards per game may be over for a while...but ground game could be difficult with all the speed they return.

2- St. X nothing much changes...Glaser will use same philosophy of balanced offense with tough defense to battle through this district. Vic Anderson is sure to be a key focus for most opponents which could open up other aspects of the offense.

3- PRP After a year under Chris Wolfe, Panthers look to unleash their fury on the district and perhaps knock off perennial powers St. X & Male. Combination of speed of aggressive defense will be the key for this team. QB will return with better understanding of offense along with a solid backfield and speedy receivers. This could be the year for Panthers to post some good wins against one of the toughest districts in the state.

4- Manual After losing a lot of starters from last year's teams, Crimsons will have to endure a rebuilding year. Team will still be talented on both sides of the ball but not enough to overtake Male and St. X and look for a struggle against PRP.

5- Butler New coach in town but it will take some time to get to know the offensive schemes. Butler should be ready to make a solid run in the 2007 season but for now they will need to use this year to adjust to new coach.

6- Iroquois Raiders are returning 16 starters on both offense and defense and could very easily begin season 5-0 but when District play begins, Raiders will be battling it out with Butler for 5th place in the district. Key losses include QB and LBs but Seniors Nate Anderson (A potential D1 player) and speedy WR McCaffey could lead Iroquois to at least being a tougher opponent in this district. One coach was quoted as saying "this is a team that doesnt quit even if they are down 50 points...they are just one of those teams that if you arent careful...they can beat you"

I would love to see Iroquois have a great year!

I really like and cheer for 2 of the local teams, and here is my take on them.

1. South Laurel - finished tied for district title (finished #2 due to their only district loss coming to Madison Central who also only had 1 loss). Won the only playoff game by a district team. Lost a ton of quality seniors (Marcum, Schenenfelter, Philpot, Brown, etc), 16-18 in all. Should be fine in the skill positions with Bowling, Quinn, Proffitt, Bingham, McQueen, Baker, etc. The line is where the biggest losses will be with only 1 starter returning on the O line (Hibbard) but he is a dandy. Even with all these losses to graduation, the Cardinals are now at a point where they don't really rebuild, just reload and each year they get better. They had to deal with a lot of injuries to key players, but that enabled some of the younger players to get some very valuable game experience which will pay off in the long run. I think they will be only slightly down early in the season as the new players find their legs, but will be fine come district play and will be right in the playoff hunt where they have been the past 3 seasons. Could be in the hunt for the district title as Madison Central lost a lot as well and GRC brings back the most talent of all the teams in AAAA Region 4, District 8. The Cardinals always find a few new wrinkles every year that surprise their opponents, and the 2006 season should be no different. Expect big seasons from Bowling, Bingham, Quinn (who really stepped up the last half of the season on both sides of the ball), Baker, and of course Jeff Ledford, who may be undersized weight wise for a LB, but always makes plays and I love to watch this kid play! Coach Irwin will have a much better team than many will predict as he is becoming a very adept head coach My pick: #2 or #3 in district behind GRC. Could win it as GRC had trouble with the short passing game in both the SL and NL games, and SL is VERY adept at this or they could finish lower if the younger kids don't step up, especially on the line.

2. North Laurel - First year coach David Abbott missed the playoffs on the last game of the season, but dealt with a ton of injuries, including UK signee Chris Cessna, WR David Lamb, and numerous others for varied periods of time. They lose 2 starting offensive and 2-3 starting defensive linemen (George, Boroviak and Woods). They also lose Sizemore, who was their leading rusher and 2nd leading tackler and McKnight, one of their better receivers when they did go to the air. The good news is that they bring back more experience than they expect to due to the injuries. They return Asher (WR/TB/S) who really stepped up at the end of the season with bigtime performances, Maggard (RB/LB) who is a big plus on both sides of the ball, Stuber (QB) who led the team in total yardage, and most of all Brandenburg (LB/FB), who led the team in tackles as a sophomore, filling in admirably when Cessna final was lost for the season. They didn't have the go to back they had the prior 3 seasons in Blair, now at Georgetown College, and probably won't have that again this season, unless it is Asher. They must find a new CB to replace Brock who had a great senior season until he was injured early in the Whitley game. The coaching staff took some lumps in their inaugural season, losing a ton of close games and suffering key injuries, but the huge upset over Madison Central showed them that with the right game plan and proper attitude from the kids, they can compete with the best in the district. Should be back in the playoff hunt again with most of their skill people back and many for their final season as Jaguars. My pick: #3 or #4 in district. Could finish higher if some of the incoming seniors step up and become the leaders they can be or lower if they do not. Losing Cessna hurt them on that front in 2005 as much as his playing ability.

Williamsburg will be more experienced in 2006 as a number of young people got valuable playing time. Williamsburg lost three seniors with the key losses being offensive linemen Richie Moses and Andrew Middleton. In an interesting move, I have heard Coach Black is moving Aaron Root ( 1st team all district, All SEKC, Linebacker of the year ) from center to fullback to shore up blocking. He should provide valuable protection for QB Thomas Frazier (2nd team all district ) to throw to a covey of solid receivers led by Chase Hamlin (All District, SEKC Receiver of the year, State reception leader), Will Moses, and Aaron Brock. The line will need to replace the excellent pass blocking skills of Moses, and Root at center, but should develop well. Elias Abner will step in for Root at the center position and needs to have a big year. I have heard he is possibly the most improved kid in the weight room. Also expecting to have a big year on both sides of the line will be AJ Jusino (2nd team all district, all SEKC). Overall, Williamsburg should be able to put points on the board and if a couple of d-lineman can be developed, the defense led by the outstanding linebacker play of Root could be a nice surprise.

Nice Preview :thumb:

Macoroni...thanks for the comments. Rockmom, I would love to see them break out too. Here are some more info I got on them this week...

They have a lot of potential talent but they seem to have trouble maintaining numbers due to injuries and eligibility issues. They got a kid in from Male HS who is supposed to be a big help. I hear he is a typical Male athlete...speedy and athletic. They also got a QB who transferred in from Fern Creek who, rumor has it, was actually battling KJ Black for the starting position last year.

Head Coach Shawn Thompson has hired an Offensive Coordinator who has worked with Bob Redman in the past. I've never heard of him so Im not sure what to expect from them Offensively. A friend of mine tells me that his father is an assistant at Male, so maybe that will serve as a possible idea as to what they will run.

I saw them play Central Hardin last season and let me say this: This team can be so good if they want to be. They were down by 14 points in the 3rd qtr and they fought back. Had they caught a sure touchdown pass that would have tied the game, they could have easily started last year 4-1. Their 1st 5 games are Valley, Moore, Shawnee, Atherton and Central Hardin. If they can pull together look out....Iroquois could be 5-0 next year heading into their tough district play. They wont beat Male & St. X, but I do look for their games against PRP, Manual and Butler to closer than what people are used to seeing. I will continue digging for more information and will post more about this district as I get it. Good luck Raiders!

I really like and cheer for 2 of the local teams, and here is my take on them.

1. South Laurel - finished tied for district title (finished #2 due to their only district loss coming to Madison Central who also only had 1 loss). Won the only playoff game by a district team. Lost a ton of quality seniors (Marcum, Schenenfelter, Philpot, Brown, etc), 16-18 in all. Should be fine in the skill positions with Bowling, Quinn, Proffitt, Bingham, McQueen, Baker, etc. The line is where the biggest losses will be with only 1 starter returning on the O line (Hibbard) but he is a dandy. Even with all these losses to graduation, the Cardinals are now at a point where they don't really rebuild, just reload and each year they get better. They had to deal with a lot of injuries to key players, but that enabled some of the younger players to get some very valuable game experience which will pay off in the long run. I think they will be only slightly down early in the season as the new players find their legs, but will be fine come district play and will be right in the playoff hunt where they have been the past 3 seasons. Could be in the hunt for the district title as Madison Central lost a lot as well and GRC brings back the most talent of all the teams in AAAA Region 4, District 8. The Cardinals always find a few new wrinkles every year that surprise their opponents, and the 2006 season should be no different. Expect big seasons from Bowling, Bingham, Quinn (who really stepped up the last half of the season on both sides of the ball), Baker, and of course Jeff Ledford, who may be undersized weight wise for a LB, but always makes plays and I love to watch this kid play! Coach Irwin will have a much better team than many will predict as he is becoming a very adept head coach My pick: #2 or #3 in district behind GRC. Could win it as GRC had trouble with the short passing game in both the SL and NL games, and SL is VERY adept at this or they could finish lower if the younger kids don't step up, especially on the line.

2. North Laurel - First year coach David Abbott missed the playoffs on the last game of the season, but dealt with a ton of injuries, including UK signee Chris Cessna, WR David Lamb, and numerous others for varied periods of time. They lose 2 starting offensive and 2-3 starting defensive linemen (George, Boroviak and Woods). They also lose Sizemore, who was their leading rusher and 2nd leading tackler and McKnight, one of their better receivers when they did go to the air. The good news is that they bring back more experience than they expect to due to the injuries. They return Asher (WR/TB/S) who really stepped up at the end of the season with bigtime performances, Maggard (RB/LB) who is a big plus on both sides of the ball, Stuber (QB) who led the team in total yardage, and most of all Brandenburg (LB/FB), who led the team in tackles as a sophomore, filling in admirably when Cessna final was lost for the season. They didn't have the go to back they had the prior 3 seasons in Blair, now at Georgetown College, and probably won't have that again this season, unless it is Asher. They must find a new CB to replace Brock who had a great senior season until he was injured early in the Whitley game. The coaching staff took some lumps in their inaugural season, losing a ton of close games and suffering key injuries, but the huge upset over Madison Central showed them that with the right game plan and proper attitude from the kids, they can compete with the best in the district. Should be back in the playoff hunt again with most of their skill people back and many for their final season as Jaguars. My pick: #3 or #4 in district. Could finish higher if some of the incoming seniors step up and become the leaders they can be or lower if they do not. Losing Cessna hurt them on that front in 2005 as much as his playing ability.

I'm picking Lincoln County to win the district.They'll have more speed than anyone in the district and have a transfer from Danville next year, if he realizes that basketball is not his ticket.

4A Nelson County will enter the season with no coach and no coaching staff. Plays will be called from the press booth by the Superintendent, after she consults with some of the monied interests who are there to protect her job in exchange for good seats. By the second or third home game, the monied interests will realize that the "good seats" are merely pieces of old wood hanging by a rusty screw to the stands which are falling down due to years of monetary neglect. A small child will fall through those stands, and the Superintendent will blame it on the senior quarterback because she saw his aunt's dog's sister drinking bourbon at the bourbon festival. The School Board will hold a hearing on it and decide they really don't care. The students will stage a protest in support of the quarterback, but the quarterback won't be there because he is playing video games. The quarterback's father will tell the School Board its not his son's fault, everybody does it. The City of Bardstown will try and annex the school for its tax base (inside joke). By game 7, the local pork producers will have sold more gross tonnage in pork burgers than the team has scored points. The Superintendent will change the name from the Cardinals because a "Cardinal" is also a Roman Catholic designation, and that's to close to intertwining school and religion so it won't fly. The new name of the school mascot will be the Nelson County "Pats," which is the most gender-neutral name she can think of. She will establish a committee on tolerance and make the kids wear uniforms but won't enforce the policy. She will also decree that no member of the team can be above 5'10" and 180 lbs., so that the middle-sized people of the school don't feel embarrased at their lack of representation on the football team. Of course, that doesn't change the makeup of the team because noone is bigger than that anyway.

Despite all this, the scrappy Cardinals-turned-Pats who are actually pretty tough when they are left alone, finish 5-5, make the playoffs, but are not allowed to play because the Super feels like that would unfairly reflect on the boys soccer team, who didn't make it.

Sorry, I'm grumpy tonight.

I'm picking Lincoln County to win the district.They'll have more speed than anyone in the district and have a transfer from Danville next year, if he realizes that basketball is not his ticket.

I have to disagree. Unless they have a lot more speed besides Calhoun (who I really hope is healed up from his hip injury and ready for his senior season as I like that kid a lot), I didn't see them as having any more team speed than South Laurel or GRC (the prohibitive favorite for the 2006 season with all they bring back) and definitely not as much as Madison Central (who most think will be down, but we thought that 2 years ago, and all they did was go unbeaten in district play and make the regional finals that season before losing to eventual AAAA runnerup Scott County). I think Lincoln will be right in the hunt and that the district will be wide open. But I am not sure they are ready to jump from not making the playoffs to winning the district just yet. But I agree that they will be a very solid team in 2006!

TigerDude, I'm impressed. Look forward to seeing your posts in the coming weeks and into the season. How do you think Bama will do next year? Just messing with you...

:thumb:

Alabama Larry...give me a few weeks to investigate and I would be happy to offer my opinion. I love the SEC and still believe at heart its one of the best conferences for college football. Heck at this point...I feel ready to give Kirk Herbstreit a run for his job! HA HA

Would really be interesting to see a writer or analyst come around and do High School football in Kentucky like a Corso and Herbstreit combination. Probably would really help get some exposure to many teams around the state that otherwise wouldnt get it. Kentucky High School football is on the rise and what a way to help us get more focus on our kids out there.

4A Nelson County will enter the season with no coach and no coaching staff. Plays will be called from the press booth by the Superintendent, after she consults with some of the monied interests who are there to protect her job in exchange for good seats. By the second or third home game, the monied interests will realize that the "good seats" are merely pieces of old wood hanging by a rusty screw to the stands which are falling down due to years of monetary neglect. A small child will fall through those stands, and the Superintendent will blame it on the senior quarterback because she saw his aunt's dog's sister drinking bourbon at the bourbon festival. The School Board will hold a hearing on it and decide they really don't care. The students will stage a protest in support of the quarterback, but the quarterback won't be there because he is playing video games. The quarterback's father will tell the School Board its not his son's fault, everybody does it. The City of Bardstown will try and annex the school for its tax base (inside joke). By game 7, the local pork producers will have sold more gross tonnage in pork burgers than the team has scored points. The Superintendent will change the name from the Cardinals because a "Cardinal" is also a Roman Catholic designation, and that's to close to intertwining school and religion so it won't fly. The new name of the school mascot will be the Nelson County "Pats," which is the most gender-neutral name she can think of. She will establish a committee on tolerance and make the kids wear uniforms but won't enforce the policy. She will also decree that no member of the team can be above 5'10" and 180 lbs., so that the middle-sized people of the school don't feel embarrased at their lack of representation on the football team. Of course, that doesn't change the makeup of the team because noone is bigger than that anyway.

Despite all this, the scrappy Cardinals-turned-Pats who are actually pretty tough when they are left alone, finish 5-5, make the playoffs, but are not allowed to play because the Super feels like that would unfairly reflect on the boys soccer team, who didn't make it.

Sorry, I'm grumpy tonight.

Hearsay, stay positive. Even though this one has been a political and ugly mess, ANYONE who can put a positive spin on the hiring of a new HC needs to do so. Those players are going to need every ounce of support they can get. The bottom line is that there has been a change, there is going to be a new HC, and the kids DO deserve better. But, dwelling on the things that have went down will not help one single young man in that program. Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we respond. Blaming the admins. or the super will not gain the players one thing. The players, parents, community, and school need to try to do their best to ensure that the community is not divided to the point of no return. From what I hear, I don't think that they are to point that point as of yet. There seems to be some optimism that things will get better.

Look for Nelson to be anywhere from 4-6 to 6-4! With their improvement at the end of last year to build on and the excitement a new coach will bring, they will get it going!! (But they do play in a very tough district and have a brutal non-district schedule)

I would love to see Iroquois have a great year!

They will have a senior QB that was at FC as a frosh named "Little Man" Mike Marshall. Inside the Ville did a little story on him when they came to watch Mario. He will be one of the best QB's in the city, write it down , if he does his schoolwork.