Your 2006 Football Preview for your team

Macaroni

They will have a senior QB that was at FC as a frosh named "Little Man" Mike Marshall. Inside the Ville did a little story on him when they came to watch Mario. He will be one of the best QB's in the city, write it down , if he does his schoolwork.

I have made some inquiries....yes, this is the kid I was referring to earlier. I am told he is eligible as now and will be playing. From what I am hearing, this Marshall kid is supposed to be extremely accurate. They only "potential" knock is that he is about 5'9 or 5'10.

Also, their new Offensive Coordinator is a guy who played QB & WR at Seneca back in the early 90's. He has worked at Male and has been at Iroquois the last 2 years so he's familiar with the kids. People I have talked to say the offense he will probably run is similar to Male using 3 or more receivers so it looks like it will be a good fit for the Marshall kid. They've got some speed and talent at the Receiver position so it should make for an interesting season.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made some inquiries....yes, this is the kid I was referring to earlier. I am told he is eligible as now and will be playing. From what I am hearing, this Marshall kid is supposed to be extremely accurate. They only "potential" knock is that he is about 5'9 or 5'10.

Also, their new Offensive Coordinator is a guy who played QB & WR at Seneca back in the early 90's. He has worked at Male and has been at Iroquois the last 2 years so he's familiar with the kids. People I have talked to say the offense he will probably run is similar to Male using 3 or more receivers so it looks like it will be a good fit for the Marshall kid. They've got some speed and talent at the Receiver position so it should make for an interesting season.

If the OC is Micheal Dalton that played QB at Seneca he will do very well with Mike. Playes like him.

If the OC is Micheal Dalton that played QB at Seneca he will do very well with Mike. Playes like him.

I remember Dalton. Kid was a little guy with a load of speed and went to Air Force to play football. Talented athlete.

My curiosity has gotten the best of me so I started calling around...Spoke to a former coach at Seneca and started asking some questions...he says the OC at Iroquois is Larry Williams. Dalton played QB his JR year and Williams was a WR/DB but they switched Dalton to TB his senior year so Williams could play QB because of his arm.

After graduating, Williams went to Male to help Redman and was part of the '93 State Championship team. My guy says that Williams' dad has been an assistant at Male since '92. Dont know what Williams has done since 93 though except that he has been at Iroquois since Shawn Thompson took over 2 years ago. That's all I have gotten so far.

4A Nelson County will enter the season with no coach and no coaching staff. Plays will be called from the press booth by the Superintendent, after she consults with some of the monied interests who are there to protect her job in exchange for good seats. By the second or third home game, the monied interests will realize that the "good seats" are merely pieces of old wood hanging by a rusty screw to the stands which are falling down due to years of monetary neglect. A small child will fall through those stands, and the Superintendent will blame it on the senior quarterback because she saw his aunt's dog's sister drinking bourbon at the bourbon festival. The School Board will hold a hearing on it and decide they really don't care. The students will stage a protest in support of the quarterback, but the quarterback won't be there because he is playing video games. The quarterback's father will tell the School Board its not his son's fault, everybody does it. The City of Bardstown will try and annex the school for its tax base (inside joke). By game 7, the local pork producers will have sold more gross tonnage in pork burgers than the team has scored points. The Superintendent will change the name from the Cardinals because a "Cardinal" is also a Roman Catholic designation, and that's to close to intertwining school and religion so it won't fly. The new name of the school mascot will be the Nelson County "Pats," which is the most gender-neutral name she can think of. She will establish a committee on tolerance and make the kids wear uniforms but won't enforce the policy. She will also decree that no member of the team can be above 5'10" and 180 lbs., so that the middle-sized people of the school don't feel embarrased at their lack of representation on the football team. Of course, that doesn't change the makeup of the team because noone is bigger than that anyway.

Despite all this, the scrappy Cardinals-turned-Pats who are actually pretty tough when they are left alone, finish 5-5, make the playoffs, but are not allowed to play because the Super feels like that would unfairly reflect on the boys soccer team, who didn't make it.

Sorry, I'm grumpy tonight.

I'm not familiar with the situation here, and although I was laughing pretty hard at this commentary, I realized this post, as with most social satire, possibly has more truth than humor in it. What a sad commentary on a public educational institution if that be the case.

Class AAAA, Semi 1, Region 2, District 4

Although I dont really follow one team, I would like to offer this preview for the above district based on conversations with some area coaches...

1. Male- Early Mr. Football candidate Douglas Beaumont looks to lead a bulldog team returning key starters on both sides of the ball back to the top of district. Replacing QB Anderson will be hard but projected starter will be a kid who is known more for his running abilities rather than throwing. Look for Male utilize more option plays and sprint out plays to take advantage of QB's abilities. Days of 250-300 yard passing yards per game may be over for a while...but ground game could be difficult with all the speed they return.

2- St. X nothing much changes...Glaser will use same philosophy of balanced offense with tough defense to battle through this district. Vic Anderson is sure to be a key focus for most opponents which could open up other aspects of the offense.

3- PRP After a year under Chris Wolfe, Panthers look to unleash their fury on the district and perhaps knock off perennial powers St. X & Male. Combination of speed of aggressive defense will be the key for this team. QB will return with better understanding of offense along with a solid backfield and speedy receivers. This could be the year for Panthers to post some good wins against one of the toughest districts in the state.

4- Manual After losing a lot of starters from last year's teams, Crimsons will have to endure a rebuilding year. Team will still be talented on both sides of the ball but not enough to overtake Male and St. X and look for a struggle against PRP.

5- Butler New coach in town but it will take some time to get to know the offensive schemes. Butler should be ready to make a solid run in the 2007 season but for now they will need to use this year to adjust to new coach.

6- Iroquois Raiders are returning 16 starters on both offense and defense and could very easily begin season 5-0 but when District play begins, Raiders will be battling it out with Butler for 5th place in the district. Key losses include QB and LBs but Seniors Nate Anderson (A potential D1 player) and speedy WR McCaffey could lead Iroquois to at least being a tougher opponent in this district. One coach was quoted as saying "this is a team that doesnt quit even if they are down 50 points...they are just one of those teams that if you arent careful...they can beat you"

I would flip flop St.X and Male for sure.

Hearsay, stay positive. Even though this one has been a political and ugly mess, ANYONE who can put a positive spin on the hiring of a new HC needs to do so. Those players are going to need every ounce of support they can get. The bottom line is that there has been a change, there is going to be a new HC, and the kids DO deserve better. But, dwelling on the things that have went down will not help one single young man in that program. Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we respond. Blaming the admins. or the super will not gain the players one thing. The players, parents, community, and school need to try to do their best to ensure that the community is not divided to the point of no return. From what I hear, I don't think that they are to point that point as of yet. There seems to be some optimism that things will get better.

Look for Nelson to be anywhere from 4-6 to 6-4! With their improvement at the end of last year to build on and the excitement a new coach will bring, they will get it going!! (But they do play in a very tough district and have a brutal non-district schedule)

I agree, and will try and do better. The kids are definitely worth it.

I would flip flop St.X and Male for sure.

I've debated about this and its still a long way off from the start of the season. Things could change once the season nears, but in just looking at what's returning in regards to overall experience...ultimately its hard to bet against the team that has one of the top Front-Runners for Mr. Football. With 9 starters returning on offense and 10 on defense...its just hard to go against that experience and talent. Ultimately, Male's only real "achilles heel" is their defense. They dont have the speed they normally have up front but their experience should make up for that.

I know St. X will always be good...but if you look at history...these two teams just routinely switch positions as the top district team almost every 2 years. So in looking at history, Beaumont and the overall experience, I just think at this point it gives them the early edge...but not by much ;)

I remember Dalton. Kid was a little guy with a load of speed and went to Air Force to play football. Talented athlete.

My curiosity has gotten the best of me so I started calling around...Spoke to a former coach at Seneca and started asking some questions...he says the OC at Iroquois is Larry Williams. Dalton played QB his JR year and Williams was a WR/DB but they switched Dalton to TB his senior year so Williams could play QB because of his arm.

After graduating, Williams went to Male to help Redman and was part of the '93 State Championship team. My guy says that Williams' dad has been an assistant at Male since '92. Dont know what Williams has done since 93 though except that he has been at Iroquois since Shawn Thompson took over 2 years ago. That's all I have gotten so far.

I was a senior the same year as Dalton and he played QB against us the 6th game of the year. He was tough and we only won 10-7 coming off Trinity.

I've debated about this and its still a long way off from the start of the season. Things could change once the season nears, but in just looking at what's returning in regards to overall experience...ultimately its hard to bet against the team that has one of the top Front-Runners for Mr. Football. With 9 starters returning on offense and 10 on defense...its just hard to go against that experience and talent. Ultimately, Male's only real "achilles heel" is their defense. They dont have the speed they normally have up front but their experience should make up for that.

I know St. X will always be good...but if you look at history...these two teams just routinely switch positions as the top district team almost every 2 years. So in looking at history, Beaumont and the overall experience, I just think at this point it gives them the early edge...but not by much ;)

Most of those returners probably play both ways. I also thought Male had a ton of Seniors start last year. X will be tough to beat that Junior class is big and strong and they have tons of skill to go with that.

Most of those returners probably play both ways. I also thought Male had a ton of Seniors start last year. X will be tough to beat that Junior class is big and strong and they have tons of skill to go with that.

Are you talking about the rising juniors or the current junior(seniors to be) class?

I have received confirmation that it is in fact Larry Williams that is the OC at Iroquois this year. I also realized that his father is actually the same guy who is a good friend of the family. I asked his father if he knew what his son was going to do at Iroquois and he replied:

"he's spoken to Bobby (Redman) on several occasions and it appears he is planning to run a variation of our offense but with more receivers. I've been at Male for 13 years and know what we are capable of and if he can get the right kids in place for that offense I dont think many teams in, especially in our district, will realize just how dangerous they are going to be next year. I told Bobby that if they are healthy and eligible when we play them next year we could have some problems with them and Bobby agreed. I didnt think he would ever say that about Iroquois."

On Nelson County, I surely hope that the parents could step up and tell the administration what they think about the situation. The SUPER needs to hire the "mumblers and grumblers" that led to the Mason firing. They obviously "know how to coach a championship football team." Can there be any more ineptitude at a leadership position as the SUPER has shown these past few months? The kids at Nelson County do deserve better than this from the "so called" leadership.

The situation at Iroquois is very fragile year to year as someone already stated about overall numbers, injuries, AND eligibility! The school never has lacked talent, maybe discipline at various times but never talent and heart. Coach Schneider(?) had very solid groundwork laid before leaving a couple years ago. His teams were disiplined and seemed to have more organization than previous years. Size and talent were present during his short tenure. If the talent gets some help from the big guys up front, then a lot of positive things can happen. Just because somebody decides they have a few key elements to run Redman's offense does not make it happen on game night. I honestly hope they pull it together. The coach is a great guy and those kids have a lot of heart and class.

I heard that PRP is most definitely the team to watch for next season. Sounds like they have gotten bigger and stronger this off season AND picked up a couple big name players that DID NOT play last season. Should be another "wild & hairy" district battle, :fight: AGAIN!

I expect PRP to a major player this year in this race. As I said before, now that they have a year under Wolfe's system and they had as much success as they did least year (especially against top teams) I am sure they gained many "hidden" athletes that did not play last year. I really look for them to place no lower than 3rd in the district. I think they will beat Manual, Butler and Iroquois, they will give Male a fight (as they did last year) and probably will be very difficult against X. One problem that PRP has had in the past is depth at skill positions. Usually they have struggled against Male, X & Manual because they didnt have key back-ups to give their starters a rest now and then. This year could be different. Im saving my final prediction for the start of season but I do see them as having the ability to knock off either X or Male this year.

As for Iroquois, as I said before it does become a numbers game with them. Not to mention that its hard to establish any type of consistency when coaching changes occur every 2-3 years. Coach Thompson appears to be willing to stick around for a few years (this is his 3rd year) and that could help them out a lot. And yes, its true that a certain type of offense is not the answer to everyone's problems but it can help if the kids get excited about it and believe in it. It could just one of the many steps they need to take to improving their situation.

Juniors to be

I think you are right, that is a big and talented class. There are some very solid players in that group who will surely contribute in a major way next year. However, I think people under estimate this senior class coming up. All through the careers at X they have been maligned as not being a strong class. From watching them grow up, I think they have come a very long way since thier freshman year. In reality, from top tp bottom, shear numbers, they are not as loaded as the classes in front or behind them. I think, though, they will be an incredibly strong class in that they are a very close, tightnit group. Much like the 2004 class (similar reputation) that won a state championship. As everyone knows, team chemistry play a huge role at the high school level (as others).

This group has some very strong players of it's own that will play key roles. On offense there is Vic and Eckman in the backfield. O'Daniel, Ott and Sinclair on the line. On defense they will have Schmitt and Androla on the line, Bisig and Wolf in LB & DE spots, and Huelsman and Barrito in secondary. All of these guys played a significant role as juniors and will be who team is built around this year. They are all very strong players who will be solid leaders as well. There are some other seniors that will be filling in other postions as well. If you take this core group of seniors who are hard working and determined and mix in some of the juniors I think you will see another strong X team that will be equipped to take on the challenge of defending thier district title and returning to the state game.