Catholics that voted for Obama read this

I don't know, should they?

Did you not read the quote?

“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can’t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden—that too encourages division and discourages cooperation,” the US president said."

Dude your knees are getting dirty.

I'm glad you enjoyed the link. You're too kind. Here's some more reaction from young people to hearing the leader of the free world speak:

"Brian Hazlett, from the Clogher Valley, in County Tyrone, was up at 03:30 BST so he could get to the Waterfront Hall to hear the US president.

"It was a brilliant speech. I think it is going to reach out to a lot of young people.

"He showed how powerful young people can be. It's great for our future."

BBC News - Young people's reaction to Barack Obama's speech in Belfast

Did you not read the quote?

“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can’t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden—that too encourages division and discourages cooperation,” the US president said."

If we're talking about that quote and that quote only, looks like a 50/50 proposition to me.

Maybe it's just me...but if towns are divided (or any societal segment) by religion (or any other difference), he's right...it encourages division and discourages cooperation. I don't think we in American can even begin to understand. Getslow is 100% correct...religion has become the "face" of the conflict, but it was pure politics. But, then, going back to the root, religion WAS politics, and politics WAS religion. But the only way to begin to move forward is to get past that history. As long as schools are segregated, and all other societal places of possible co-mingling, there won't be any moving on.

All Tell, I realize that you hate the President. I have no idea what kind of publication the Scottish Catholic Observer is...however...never take your eye off the Scottish...they LOVE the conflict between the Irish and the English, Protestants and Catholics...and they aren't above stirring the pot. It's part of their charm.

Just an observation from someone who posts rarely in anything controversial. Replace Catholic with rich and Protestant with poor.... I wonder if the conclusion is the same for the president.

Maybe it's just me...but if towns are divided (or any societal segment) by religion (or any other difference), he's right...it encourages division and discourages cooperation. I don't think we in American can even begin to understand. Getslow is 100% correct...religion has become the "face" of the conflict, but it was pure politics. But, then, going back to the root, religion WAS politics, and politics WAS religion. But the only way to begin to move forward is to get past that history. As long as schools are segregated, and all other societal places of possible co-mingling, there won't be any moving on.

All Tell, I realize that you hate the President. I have no idea what kind of publication the Scottish Catholic Observer is...however...never take your eye off the Scottish...they LOVE the conflict between the Irish and the English, Protestants and Catholics...and they aren't above stirring the pot. It's part of their charm.

The president could of worded it better. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. As much as I disagree with him on almost everything I doubt he plans on ending Catholic schools in this country.

On a side note isn't part of the history of Catholic schools in this country partly due to protestant discrimination on Catholics and Catholics isolating themselves away from them. Catholics themselves isolated themselves from other catholics from different countries . There were Italian , German, and Irish parishes . Early in the 1900s and close to mid 1900s people of different ethnicities weren't exactly commingling in each others parishes.

The president could of worded it better. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. As much as I disagree with him on almost everything I doubt he plans on ending Catholic schools in this country.

On a side note isn't part of the history of Catholic schools in this country partly due to protestant discrimination on Catholics and Catholics isolating themselves away from them. Catholics themselves isolated themselves from other catholics from different countries . There were Italian , German, and Irish parishes . Early in the 1900s and close to mid 1900s people of different ethnicities weren't exactly commingling in each others parishes.

Yes, that's definitely part of the origin of Catholic education in the United States. And one of the first court cases to seriously examine the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment was brought by the parents of Catholic students in Massachusetts who were forced to read the decidedly not Catholic King James Bible in school.