Catholics that voted for Obama read this

I don't think he says Catholic education is bad. I think he said that it's one example of how the town is segregated.

Should Protestants also be upset?

I think it shows how out of touch and unknowledgable Obama is by making nonfactual blanket statements.

It's a mistake for him to blame the long centuries of troubles on just protestant and Catholic. The conflict in Northern Ireland was inherently a political one, even more than a religious one... though it manifested itself as religious. It was about English loyalism vs. Irish Republicanism. England did horrible things in Ireland for centuries and did a lot of it under the guise of rooting out Catholicism and trying to install the Church of England... but it was never really about that. The Irish were exploited for economic and political ends. Separate schools for Catholic and protestant children aren't the reason there's still tension.

Reminds me of a great line in the Wire. McNulty orders a Jameson and the bartender tells him they only have Bushmills. McNulty turns it down and says "that's Protestant whiskey."

Had a friend in college tell me the same thing. Drank Jameson all the time... and Milwaukee's Best Light... you know, because college.

His mom was born in Ireland and he has an uncle that was, at the time, a member of the Irish parliament representing Sinn Fein. His perspective on the troubles is really interesting and a little bit bizarre. Apparently the closer you get to Northern Ireland, it's unwise to tell people you're with Sinn Fein or related to someone from Sinn Fein because not even the Irish republicans up there want anything to do with a return to what it was like a few decades ago.

Reminds me of a great line in the Wire. McNulty orders a Jameson and the bartender tells him they only have Bushmills. McNulty turns it down and says "that's Protestant whiskey."

In Ireland, generally you can tell if you're in a Protestant pub or a Catholic pub by whether they have Jameson behind the bar or Bushmills. True story.