Accusations of impropriety in the Simon Kenton athletic department

NKY Bandit

Like him or not, Eric Deters has raised fair questions. IMO sports funds are being abused/misused/stolen at many schools. It's too easy and there are always people ready to take the cash.

Eric has raised fair questions and SK needs to answer them AND change their record keeping.

Paying coaches cash for camp participation? Thats a pretty common practice Clyde. Maybe the bookkeeping is not first rate, but there is a lot of money being spent on Athletics at SK. First there is the facilities which put any in Boone county to shame. How many schools in Boone County have an indoor practice facility Clyde? How many schools in Boone County have a first rate strength and speed training facility? Third , how many Boone County Schools send their coaches out of state to attend training conferences????

Do Boone County Schools even have booster groups? Which are by the way are separate and volunteer staffed groups accepting private donation and fund raising that ARE NOT subject to audit or any kind of fiscal accountability to the KCSD.

How does Cov Cath compare??? Oh wait, there still waiting for lights over there!

If Dieter's case is so good, then why try it in the court of public opinion?

Edited by Pick6

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paying coaches cash for camp participation? Thats a pretty common practice Clyde. Maybe the bookkeeping is not first rate, but there is a lot of money being spent on Athletics at SK. First there is the facilities which put any in Boone county to shame. How many schools in Boone County have an indoor practice facility Clyde? How many schools in Boone County have a first rate strength and speed training facility? Third , how many Boone County Schools send their coaches out of state to attend training conferences????

Do Boone County Schools even have booster groups? Which are by the way are separate and volunteer staffed groups accepting private donation and fund raising that ARE NOT subject to audit or any kind of fiscal accountability to the KCSD.

How does Cov Cath compare??? Oh wait, there still waiting for lights over there!

Other than "maybe the bookkeeping is not first rate" the rest of your post is 100% irrelevant to a)the topic and b)my post.

After reading this I just had to laugh to be honest. Deters is asking where money that is paid directly to the school and goes into the school fund (not boosters account) isn't in the boosters account. DUH!

Im not saying they did a good job of record keeping, in this summary it makes it sounds as if there are some issues, but I can't see the detail, and as an accountant and auditor, its all in the details.

The Disbursement notes are funny actually. 3 of the 11 they tested didn't reply (which is common in audits like this) so they have to note as such and count that against them, even though it may not mean its an issue. I can tell you why Pepsi wouldn't respond, because KCBOE screwed Pepsi on their soda contract with the school and switched to Coke without telling Pepsi, had coke remove all the Pepsi machines, and when Pepsi came to fill them up right before school started for the year..........you can guess what happened from there.

Oh and the KY Public Auditors reviewed things, that means a lot they did a great job of Auditing Mr Farmers office didn't they when he was doing what he was doing. Child please!

Easy on the rookies Clyde, lol.

I should have welcomed him/her first. Glad to have them on the board.

Not sure how that response had anything to do with my post though.

SK is , hopefully, just negligent in bookkeeping but I FULLY believe athletic cash and funds are ripe for the picking as we've seen recently in NKY. Deters' motives can be questioned all day but IMO his questions are fair.

They very well could be subject to IRS audit, depending on various factors.

Also, what in the heck does your post have to do with Clyde's post? Your description of SK's spending on various items actually supports Clyde's post. There must always be accountability and transparency when dealing with donated funds.

They very well could be subject to IRS audit, depending on various factors.

Also, what in the heck does your post have to do with Clyde's post? Your description of SK's spending on various items actually supports Clyde's post. There must always be accountability and transparency when dealing with donated funds.

The implication of Deter's release is that money is being spent inappropriately. The Athletic Boosters raise money to support SK athletics. The money is spent on SK athletics. There is no issue here other than crass guy with a law license!

Edited by Randy Parker
Rule 8

The implication of Deter's release is that money is being spent inappropriately. The Athletic Boosters raise money to support SK athletics. The money is spent on SK athletics. There is no issue here other than crass guy with a law license!

So it's not fair to ask how the money was spent?

So it's not fair to ask how the money was spent?

Dieters does not state how the money is spent. For him to make the assertions about camp revenue that he did shows extreme ignorance on how high athletic departments and booster organizations work. He is throwing mud at the wall with a shotgun hoping something will stick. Given Dieters history and clear intent of destruction, no, he does not have a right to ask. If he has proof, let him file a briefing and bring it before a judge!

For those of us not from that area, could you explain who this is?

Eric Deters is a loudmouthed ambulance chaser who thinks he's a big shot in the area. He used to have a radio show on 700 WLW until he was fired, he is one that takes cases like teacher sex scandals etc.

Now wehter or not SK is guilty or not of the charges, I don't know and really don't care anymore. since I heard Deters is the one bringing this to the surface it makes the charges even that much less credible imo.

It appears plain to me that there certainly is an issue with the accounting records. That does not mean there were improper transactions, just that they've failed to maintain a proper record of their inflows and outflows. I would not think that is acceptable to anyone at SK. After reading the details I think Deters is asking some good questions and if he's ever given any kind of payment to the organization he has the right to question the accounting for such. He is a blowhard but I think they should take his questions seriously. Too many unknows in that report.

It appears plain to me that there certainly is an issue with the accounting records. That does not mean there were improper transactions, just that they've failed to maintain a proper record of their inflows and outflows. I would not think that is acceptable to anyone at SK.

Beg to differ. If dotting all the i s and crossing all the t s means my kid's position coach is not as available to coach, that's a bigger problem than having to account for a couple of 100$ or revenue.