Get Your Program Here! NOT!

I'm going to go with the theory that if KY State Championship Soccer can have a nice 40 page program that maybe .....just maybe....basketball could have have one too and made a wee bit of money.

http://www.khsaa.org/httpdocs/Publications/Programs/20122013/Soccer/issue1/index.html

Wow! Verrrrrrryyy interessssstingg. Any other nuggets of information out there that can be unearthed?

Sounds as though the KHSAA needs to have their books examined or opened up due to public records laws. Not really implying any improprieties or anything, but since they are an arm of our Kentucky state legislature, it certainly seems as though a little daylight shining in on things and some ensuing disclosure would spell any doubts, doesn't it?

Wow! Verrrrrrryyy interessssstingg. Any other nuggets of information out there that can be unearthed?

Sounds as though the KHSAA needs to have their books examined or opened up due to public records laws. Not really implying any improprieties or anything, but since they are an arm of our Kentucky state legislature, it certainly seems as though a little daylight shining in on things and some ensuing disclosure would spell any doubts, doesn't it?

If you would do some research and look on their website, its all posted right there. Even their 990 return.

I think it comes down to work. The KHSAA staff has tried to handle the program for the past few years but the swimming and diving state championships happen right before the Sweet 16 and zaps manpower. I wish they would just bid it out to someone and come up with a profit split

The KHSAA spent $42,000 in printing and publications for the 2008 Sweet 16. They spent $36,000 in 2011. I'm not seeing where they are losing $75,000

Thanks for your info, too. I'm with about the $75 K loss question. It's easy to sit around, gripe and moan, and take pot-shots at any organization - especially via an anonymous vehicle such as this - but that is not the purpose of my postings. It's just my most sincere belief that, although it's not the end of the world, at least a simple, solid program is warrented by the stature of these excellent athletic events - our Sweet-16 basketball tournaments, which we bill and market as the "greatest show in hoops." It 's just my opinion - but one that is shared by a good number of folks, I do believe.

Thanks for your info, too. I'm with about the $75 K loss question. It's easy to sit around, gripe and moan, and take pot-shots at any organization - especially via an anonymous vehicle such as this - but that is not the purpose of my postings. It's just my most sincere belief that, although it's not the end of the world, at least a simple, solid program is warrented by the stature of these excellent athletic events - our Sweet-16 basketball tournaments, which we bill and market as the "greatest show in hoops." It 's just my opinion - but one that is shared by a good number of folks, I do believe.

Yes your opinion is shared, very much so!!!

I'm going to go with the theory that if KY State Championship Soccer can have a nice 40 page program that maybe .....just maybe....basketball could have have one too and made a wee bit of money.

http://www.khsaa.org/httpdocs/Publications/Programs/20122013/Soccer/issue1/index.html

Were you at the Soccer Championships? Did they have printed copies? Found the same link to an online version of the girls sweet 16 below. I know there were no printed copies there.

http://khsaa.org/Publications/Programs/20122013/GirlsBasketball/issue1/

While it's been a couple of years since I was on the BOC, I'm relatively certain the financial circumstances haven't changed: the KHSAA tries to save dollars when ever it can to keep the fees paid by the member schools and the ticket prices for state championship events as low as possible. I understand the disappointment in not having programs available, but programs were obviously a money loser for the KHSAA. If programs were profitable, the KHSAA would be still selling them. That I can guarantee you. While the basketball state championships are important, if for no other reason than the money raised by both the boys and the girls tournys, the KHSAA cannot easily do something for basketball that they don't do for the other sports. As important as the basketball revenue is and as passionate as Kentucky is about basketball, I just can't see the KHSAA having programs for those events and not having them for all the other sports state championship events. I just can't. Just imagine the outcry if there were programs for the basketball championships but not for the other sports. Same goes with the trophy size issue. Frankly I'm surprised that the extremely large basketball trophy continued as long as it did.Perhaps the best solution would be to have some private enterprise license the use of the KHSAA logo and information and sell programs online in advance if the timing worked and outside the basketball state events. Heck, maybe they could sell them inside the venue. Then it wouldn't be the KHSAA singling out basketball; it would be private entrepeneurs doing it for those sports that the entrepeneurs think they can make a profit selling programs. Advertisers get to select the events they want to advertise; so I'd think private program vendors could select those sports that they want to sell programs at in the hope and expectation of making a profit. How about it Ru? Sounds like an ancillary business opportunity for BGP. The BluegrassPreps/KHSAA Boys and Girls Sweet 16 Program. Buy it on line through BGP in advance and sell at Rupp and Diddle at the event? Make a few bucks from the sale and possible drive more paying members to the site. If it proves profitable, you then try football and then other sports. Then when you have the concept refined, you approach the OHSAA; the IHSAA; the THSAA. I can envision a Ru financial empire in the makings.

While it's been a couple of years since I was on the BOC, I'm relatively certain the financial circumstances haven't changed: the KHSAA tries to save dollars when ever it can to keep the fees paid by the member schools and the ticket prices for state championship events as low as possible. I understand the disappointment in not having programs available, but programs were obviously a money loser for the KHSAA. If programs were profitable, the KHSAA would be still selling them. That I can guarantee you. While the basketball state championships are important, if for no other reason than the money raised by both the boys and the girls tournys, the KHSAA cannot easily do something for basketball that they don't do for the other sports. As important as the basketball revenue is and as passionate as Kentucky is about basketball, I just can't see the KHSAA having programs for those events and not having them for all the other sports state championship events. I just can't. Just imagine the outcry if there were programs for the basketball championships but not for the other sports. Same goes with the trophy size issue. Frankly I'm surprised that the extremely large basketball trophy continued as long as it did.Perhaps the best solution would be to have some private enterprise license the use of the KHSAA logo and information and sell programs online in advance if the timing worked and outside the basketball state events. Heck, maybe they could sell them inside the venue. Then it wouldn't be the KHSAA singling out basketball; it would be private entrepeneurs doing it for those sports that the entrepeneurs think they can make a profit selling programs. Advertisers get to select the events they want to advertise; so I'd think private program vendors could select those sports that they want to sell programs at in the hope and expectation of making a profit. How about it Ru? Sounds like an ancillary business opportunity for BGP. The BluegrassPreps/KHSAA Boys and Girls Sweet 16 Program. Buy it on line through BGP in advance and sell at Rupp and Diddle at the event? Make a few bucks from the sale and possible drive more paying members to the site. If it proves profitable, you then try football and then other sports. Then when you have the concept refined, you approach the OHSAA; the IHSAA; the THSAA. I can envision a Ru financial empire in the makings.

Why not have one of the Technical Schools in the state that can do printing, print the programs? That would help cut down on the cost.

I agree with you, leather. If necessity really is the mother of invention, as the old saying goes, then this could be an economic opportunity for someone willing to undertake it. Maybe a well-announced bid-process solicitation could bring about several interested parties that might be interested in producing a program for profit. That would take it off of the KHSAA's plate and reduce its loss headaches, which might create a win/win situation. It doesn't hurt to give it a look, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...