Big Impression I took from Sweet 16

I've been to many Sweet16's over the years. I watched almost every game this year and one big thing stood out...

Basketball officiating in HS is basically like college bball now -- very rarely getting fouls called for hands on the arm when you have the ball and even while shooting in the paint. I saw many times when balls were ripped away from people on rebounds or while pressing with LOTS of contact involved and no call.

The other thing that stood out -- the FINALS consisted of two teams who were STOUT young men who had OBVIOUSLY been in the weight room. (I know from personal experience that the kids from Ballard have a coach who believes in the importance of STRENGTH...they're in the weight room at least 2 days a week even on weeks they have 3 or 4 games and he encourages his players to be in my end-of-the-day Strength class--have 5 bball kids in there this year.)

I hope bball coaches in Ky took away that the way the games are officiated now, you'd better have STRONG players!

Further, there were MANY football/basketball players on both those teams in the finals. I believe I heard 4 of the 5 starters from MC were football kids...and Ballard had 3 kids who started or played a significant role who are football/basketball. Coach Renner from literally the first day I was hired as football coach made it clear he ENCOURAGED his players to play football and has made it known that having football kids on his team makes them not just physically but also MENTALLY tougher as a whole.

I, like most Ballard fans, was CRUSHED at the way things ended for our guys. But I am extremely proud of our coaches, players, and fans for the STRONG showing we made at Rupp this year and throughout the season as a whole. I'm pretty sure we'll be favored to win it all next year -- and I know a big part of that will be that we'll have one of the STRONGEST teams in the state.

I know what's going on at Madison Central and Ballard (and Mason County and a few others) is not the case in other bball programs throughout the state, I hope the evidence from this year's finals will convince other bball coaches that getting stronger doesn't 'hurt your shot' (we're not doing 'bodybuilding' after all!) and you don't have to be a 24/7 gym rat to be an outstanding HS basketball player.

Go Bruins!

Some good points.

More and more you see kids getting channeled into a single sport year around. It is certainly not just basketball. But as you point out skills or attributes from one sport are beneficial to another.

I hope that there is less emphasis on the 'year-round' approach of a single sport and I hope that KHSAA keeps a focus on keeping the conflicts to a minimum so that there is not undo pressure on kids (and parents) to commit to only one sport year-round.

As I've said many times, there can be enormous benefits to cross-training. Probably see it more in football (track and wrestling help football a great deal).

In basketball, there's still room for the Kevin Durants of the world, but strength sure doesn't hurt. Just ask LBJ.

As always, CoachJ has good points and insight. However, I have a different takeaway from what CoachJ comments on and what I see on the basketball court in high school and college. It comes down to one thing - officials have to start calling the hand check. I would love to see officials make players play defense with their feet and position versus allowing them to put their hands on players.

One defensive technique coached nowadays that I think needs to be called differently is seen on a regular basis. Point guard has the ball, makes a nice move and begins drive to the basket. The defender has lost position but quickly pivots 180%, steps into offensive player's path and is able to body up while running with the offensive player to the basket, getting his left arm and shoulder into offensive player's chest and now the pushing begins all the way to the basket. The defender has lost his position but is using his arm/shoulder to hold the offensive player while running with him. To me, that is a foul but it is rarely called. That, along with the hand on the hip/hand check are two areas where basketball has taken a wrong turn in the way it is officiated.

One defensive technique coached nowadays that I think needs to be called differently is seen on a regular basis. Point guard has the ball, makes a nice move and begins drive to the basket. The defender has lost position but quickly pivots 180%, steps into offensive player's path and is able to body up while running with the offensive player to the basket, getting his left arm and shoulder into offensive player's chest and now the pushing begins all the way to the basket. The defender has lost his position but is using his arm/shoulder to hold the offensive player while running with him. To me, that is a foul but it is rarely called. That, along with the hand on the hip/hand check are two areas where basketball has taken a wrong turn in the way it is officiated.

:clap::clap:

I am standing up and applauding with that post. Hardly ever a clear path to the basket anymore. The forearm to the hip is hardly ever called.

However, I have a different takeaway... officials have to start calling the hand check. I would love to see officials make players play defense with their feet and position versus allowing them to put their hands on players.

I don't disagree with your point. Though I like physicality, I'm not sure I like it on a basketball court (especially outside the paint).

However, I don't see the more physical style of play (or even the what-would-seem-obvious case you bring up) going away. It's all trickle-down from the higher levels. Thus, the need for that weight room and more emphasis on football/bball kids.