Favorite handgun

SportsGuy41017

I agree about the mags on the Kimber. Cheaply made, which is silly and confusing actually. .

I really don't get it. When you make a product like theirs and have built up your reputation for quality like they have, why include garbage magazines???? Doesn't make sense. Have you bought any aftermarket magazines? What brands do you like?

Did you like the trigger pull? I think it's the smoothest, non-aftermarket trigger I've ever used. I love the trigger.

The trigger pull is amazing. I could not believe some of the shots I was making. Actually, my first shot was a bulls eye :). That put a smile on the face. The rest was not bulls eyes but not far off.

I know the Wilson Combats/Les Baers/Ed Browns and Super Hawks are a step up from Kimbers (or possibly a few steps up) but I just don't see how the trigger pull could be materially better. I know someone who I bet has one of the high end custom 1911's. I may have to ask him to join me at the range for a compare and contrast.

And the night sights are awesome.

They are nice. I am used to three dot sites. The bar/single dot site was certainly different but I got used to it pretty quick.

You bought a gem, IMO.

Thanks Doc.

I just found out KY Gun Co is owned by a guy I went to college with, I had no idea. I may have to go to him from now on for all my gun purchases.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I shot my Kimber the day I bought it, I had several failures to feed. Took it home and did a field strip and cleaned it thoroughly making n g sure to clean out all the factory oil lube. Replaced the oil lube with Froglube, when you rack the slide, it feels like the slide is riding on ball bearings now, really like Froglube. Went to the range again and it fire flawlessly. Really loving this gun.

You get what you pay for :thumb:

For both the gun and the lubricant . Froglube makes guns run so incredibly smooth. I have heard a new lubricant out of Shelbyville is even better.

For both the gun and the lubricant . Froglube makes guns run so incredibly smooth. I have heard a new lubricant out of Shelbyville is even better.

The product out of Shelbyville is called Rydol.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah that Kimber is sharp..

Thank you.

I've always wanted a 1911 myself so may be looking into something like that.

The cheapest place I have been able to find is Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown. They charge no shipping so you would only have to pay for the FFL fee or should you have be near Louisville/Central KY, just stop in their showroom.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I went with the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe so I could hide the clips while carrying with a shirt tucked in. CrossBreed® Holsters. Just like the Galco King Tuck, it has the FBI cant to make concealing easier.

For comfort with my Gen 4 Glock, I DID NOT get the combat cut option. By having that extra leather against the grip, I have not more rubbing on my skin. Again, if your XD does not have aggressive stippling, the rubbing on your side may not bother you.

I decided to pay $15 and get the horsehide option. Galco's King Tucks are made with steerhide. A standard Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe is steerhide also but the horsehide seems even more comfortable against my skin and supposedly is great in hot and humid weather, I guess I will find out when Louisville gets hot and humid.

The biggest upgrade I got was the Velcro clips for $10. How these work, unlike traditional clips which fit over your belt and "grab onto" the belt, these have Velcro on them and affix to the Velcro lined on the inside of my Crossbreed belt so that way, the clips actually fit right behind my belt. When I do so, I can tuck in my shirt and NO ONE knows I am carrying. People who know I am carrying have stated they cannot find the gun on my waist.

Positives

- Great quality, just like Galco.

- No combat cut so the rough texture of the grip does not rub my skin.

- Horsehide backing is VERY comfortable

- Velcro clips which hide the gun completely.

Negatives

- Price. Crossbreed is about $10 more expensive than the King Tuck and I added $25 is upgrades ($15 for horsehide and $10 for Velcro Clips)

- Combat Cut, the other side of non combat cut is that the comfort does sacrifice some of the ease of drawing when a holster does have combat cut.

I now where my Crossbreed anytime I have a shirt tucked. On both holsters, you can set how deep you want the gun to ride in your pants. The on the Crossbreed I have it as deep as possible to make concealment so good. On my Galco, I have the gun ride as high as possible when I am not tucking my shirt in. Riding the gun high make drawing a little easier.

If you or anyone else has questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I wanted to follow up on this post. Months ago I bought a Crossbreed Supertuck to replace my Galco King Tuk for carrying my Glock 23. I have really liked my Crossbreed. Since buying the 1911, I decided to take the recommendation of some others who said they like the Comp-Tac MTac Minotaur for the 1911 instead of another Crossbreed. The nice thing about MTac Minotaurs is that you can swap out the kydex bodies on the leather backings, basically have one leather backing but any number of kydex bodies for all your hand guns. So, I bought the MTac Minotaur for the 1911 and spent about $30 more for the body for a Glock 23.

The MTac Minotaur arrived and I wore the 1911 around with it first. Unlike Crossbreed Supertuck's which can be purchased combat cut or not, Minotaurs are combat cut regardless, similar to Galco King Tuks and when I wore my Glock 23 with the Galco, the aggressive grip of the Glock would rub on my skin and irritate it. That is why I went w/o the combat cut with the Crossbreed Supertuck. Because the grip of the 1911 is not near as aggressive as the Glock, I figured a combat cut would be fine and hence went with the MTac Minotaur rather than another Crossbreed.

The MTac Minotaur felt great with the 1911. While it held the 1911 close to me (which helps concealment) the grip did not bother me. The holster is just really comfortable, even more comfortable than the Crossbreed. You can almost forget it is there. So after the MTac Minotaur passed with flying colors with the 1911, I decided to try the Glock 23. While I love my Kimber 1911, my Glock will be my primary every day carry (EDC) for self defense due to higher round capacity and not having a safety. My assumption was that the combat cut would cause the aggressive Glock grip to rub against my skin and irritate it and purchasing the additional kydex body for the Glock would be a waste of money. Well, I was wrong, even though the Glock is held close to me, it is still very comfortable, even more comfortable than the Crossbreed which does not have combat cut. So now I have the best of both worlds, better comfort and better drawing ability due to combat cut allowing me to grip the gun better.

For those of you who want a really good holster and don't mind paying for it (about $90 I believe) I take back my recommendation of the Crossbreed and instead recommend the MTac Minotaur.

• 2 months later...
I bought a SCCY CPX2 9mm and am pretty happy with it. Unfortunately the rear site did fall off after I tried to adjust it. Must not have tightened it enough. They sent me two more rear sites at no cost.

I have the same gun. I have no complaints, but I am no pistolero :cool:. Only thing is, it takes some serious finger strength to load the clip.

Good deal. Do you recommend any certain sites to check custom pieces out for them? I would 1st like to replace the grips. Thanks!

Sorry hadn't been on thread in a while...Wilson Custom if you want to really go after it offers every piece to make pretty much any quality 1911 an incredible 1911.

I shot a clip for the first time with the SSCY yesterday. From 30 yds. I had a tight pattern, but ~2 inches to the left of where I aimed. That was good enough for me to feel I could hit something substantial if I had to. It had an easy enough action, and not a bad recoil at all. I have no idea where the spent casings ended up though. They must have ejected into the high grass to my right.