Django Unchained

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to see it. I may go Friday night while my wife is out.

I'd be curious to hear your opinions. I saw an interview with Spike Lee where he is refusing to watch it.

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it. I'm not seeing it. All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors, to see that film. That's the only thing I'm gonna say," he explained. "I can't disrespect my ancestors. I can't do it. Now, that's me, I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody but myself."

I'd be curious to hear your opinions. I saw an interview with Spike Lee where he is refusing to watch it.

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it. I'm not seeing it. All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors, to see that film. That's the only thing I'm gonna say," he explained. "I can't disrespect my ancestors. I can't do it. Now, that's me, I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody but myself."

Tarantino is the greatest. I like Spike's movies but he's too indignant for me sometimes. I don't know that I could hang with him. His opinion means squat to me. Jamie Foxx as a bounty hunter slave directed by Tarantino? I'm all over it!!! :lol:

Tarantino is the greatest. I like Spike's movies but he's too indignant for me sometimes. I don't know that I could hang with him. His opinion means squat to me. Jamie Foxx as a bounty hunter slave directed by Tarantino? I'm all over it!!! :lol:

Here's a different take:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/trey-ellis/django-surprised-me_b_2276724.html

From the above interview. Personally, I think this hits the nail on the head:

Quentin Tarantino: Well, you know if you're going to make a movie about slavery and are taking a 21st-century viewer and putting them in that time period, you're going to hear some things that are going to be ugly, and you're going see some things that are going be ugly. That's just part and parcel of dealing truthfully with this story, with this environment, with this land. Personally, I find [the criticism] ridiculous. Because it would be one thing if people are out there saying, "You use it much more excessively in this movie than it was used in 1858 in Mississippi." Well, nobody's saying that. And if you're not saying that, you're simply saying I should be lying. I should be watering it down. I should be making it more easy to digest. No, I don't want it to be easy to digest. I want it to be a big, gigantic boulder, a jagged pill and you have no water.

How can he say it is disrespectful yet refuses to watch it?