Rail City Bowl Over……..For Now

Ram

September 7, 2012

KYLE HOBSTETTER: Rail Cities Bowl over ... for now

Kyle Hobstetter

The Independent

ASHLAND — The Raceland-Russell football rivalry is over ... for now.

The two schools separated by just three miles will end their series after this season.

“Me and (Raceland coach T.J. Maynard) have talked and that’s the conclusion we’ve come to,” Russell coach Ivan McGlone said. “That’s the only comment I have.”

Raceland coach T.J. Maynard is disappointed in the decision to end the series.

“It’s unfortunate because of the proximity of the game and the natural rivalry that it was,” Maynard said. “It was great preparation for the playoffs for the both of us. But we’ll just move on.”

Link

McGlone sounds like he is trying to play this off as a mutual decision. For the record, ending this series was 100% all Russell, right?

McGlone did have a conversation with Raceland Coach T.J. Maynard prior to the cancellation of the game. But, yes, for the record, the cancelation of this series is 100% Russell. Raceland defiantly wanted it to continue, without question.

McGlone did have a conversation with Raceland Coach T.J. Maynard prior to the cancellation of the game. But, yes, for the record, the cancelation of this series is 100% Russell. Raceland defiantly wanted it to continue, without question.
That is what I thought. Russell wants out but McGlone offers up a spin job to save face.

I haven't followed this so forgive me if it has been discussed, but why does Russell want out?

It's a long history, but Russell quit playing Raceland in the 70's and the series was renewed five years ago. I speculate: McGlone never wanted the series to be renewed because he knew with the schools being two miles apart he didn't want to lose to Raceland. Russell has had some good teams, but to be honest, that have played a weak district and weak class. I think he knew that the speculation was that Russell would be perceived as the best program if there was no on the field deciding factor. But, I think he knew if Russell lost to Raceland he could lose players and face.

He was put under pressure by the AD to renew the series because of the potential money for both schools. He finally did renew the series and won the first game, now Raceland has won the last four games. Some younger players have transferred from Russell to Raceland and Russell Crowd has dwindled.

It is a shame for the series to stop though, Russell will get their wins in time, but I honestly think Raceland will dominate the series, plus it is a good gate for both schools and the schools are only two miles apart. It is good competition for both schools and the players love playing each other because they all know each other.

For years many Russell fans have called Raceland the "little Brother" or the "Russell Rejects" not realizing that Raceland would have probably beaten Russell many times over the years if the game was played. They did like many others and based most of their opinions on enrollment size instead of on the field performance.

If the Russell coach feels it will be better for his program not playing Raceland, then that is what he should do.
I agree 100%, however, he should just state such when asked about the discontinuance of the series. Instead he gave the public a little smoke and mirrors in his answer. At the end of the day, it is a pretty insignificant thing in the game of life, but I think the Russell fans, and for that matter the Raceland fans deserve the unadulterated truth.

I agree 100%, however, he should just state such when asked about the discontinuance of the series. Instead he gave the public a little smoke and mirrors in his answer. At the end of the day, it is a pretty insignificant thing in the game of life, but I think the Russell fans, and for that matter the Raceland fans deserve the unadulterated truth.

I agree, I think Russell has taken a shot in the ego with this series. Raceland Coach T.J. Maynard player for McGlone at Russell and he wouldn't say anything to offend Coach McGlone, but we know that Raceland wants the series to continue, if for nothing else the money. It's a big money game.