Several people shot outside Empire State Building

Godot

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City officials say several people have been shot outside the Empire State Building and that the gunman is dead.

City police say three or four civilians have been wounded in the Friday morning shooting and that the shooter is dead.

A fire department spokesman says it received a call about the shooting just after at 9 a.m. Friday and that emergency units were on the scene within minutes.

The spokesman had no information about how many people were wounded or their conditions.

The shooting occurred at 34th Street and Fifth Avenue.

Several people shot outside Empire State Building - Yahoo! News

I've heard several times in the news that evidence tends to show that there are multiple instances with guns like this on a national level following a major shooting like the one in Aurora, CO. The rationale behind it is that there are always a lot of crazies out there on the edge, but on any given day, there's not anything out there that will push them far enough to go through with any sinister plans they have. Then you have someone who finally cracks and goes through with their attack, and suddenly it removes the barrier to the other loonies, and they feel like "it's the thing to do", so they go through with their plan as well.

I've heard several times in the news that evidence tends to show that there are multiple instances with guns like this on a national level following a major shooting like the one in Aurora, CO. The rationale behind it is that there are always a lot of crazies out there on the edge, but on any given day, there's not anything out there that will push them far enough to go through with any sinister plans they have. Then you have someone who finally cracks and goes through with their attack, and suddenly it removes the barrier to the other loonies, and they feel like "it's the thing to do", so they go through with their plan as well.

Learned about this in one of my Psychology classes in college. The same sort of holds true for suicides in a community. Once one person does it, you're likely to see a few others because of the same mentality that you described. Both my next door neighbors that I grew up with did within about a month of each other a few years back. I had moved, but I grew up with both of them. Crazy.

Live coverage.

- Yahoo! News

Disgruntled employee shot and killed his manager. On-foot patrol officer shot and killed the shooter.

Employee was reportedly fired from his job yesterday. Returned today and attempted to get into the building, but was denied access. Waited outside for his manager to exit the building and shot him in the head. Reports are that there are 4 people shot total (not sure if they mean 4 shot in addition to the shooter and his victim or 4 total). Police officer patrolling on foot was nearby, and shot and killed the gunman very soon after shots were initially fired.

Press conference starting now. You can watch it online on the Yahoo link in the quote above.

All of the people injured were injured by police bullets according to the police chief except the gunman's intended target.

Sounds like when he was confronted by police he removed his gun from a bag and they shot him. I think 2-3 people were caught in crossfire and the rest were hit by fragments.

Thankfully the only one who died in that exchange was the gunman. I really don't know how more people were not injured considering how busy NYC streets can be.