Sharks In Lake Cumberland!!

Got-No-Game

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So you are thinking Bell County mascots and not Boyd County mascots?

Boyd County mascot is from the African plains. I'm just saying that 2 weeks ago the Ashland PD had to go in search of the 2 reports of mountain lion in the south side of Ashland. It was on our local NBC affiliate's website. It was a bobcat. I have one downstairs mounted on a fake rock overlooking the ruffed grouse I also have mounted on some driftwood. I get emails all the time with a guy holding a mountain lion and saying it was killed here or there locally. What most don't pay attention to is all of the mule deer racks in the distant background. So, either the photo was a hoax considering that mule deer aren't in this area either, or the mountain lion slayer also hunt's ALOT out west.

I'm with spindoc in that I want some better proof. Still, I know as far as habitat is concerned...Kentucky is certainly still a very suitable environment for mountain lions (just as it was before they were hunted out of the state). If somehow a male and a female were to make their way into the same region, I don't know what's stopping them from establishing a population.

A couple facts worth pondering:

-The USA Today article I cited above, which was published November 2004, listed "the only confirmed mountain lion east of the Mississippi River" (excluding Florida panthers) as taking place on July 15, 2000 in western Illinois about 10 miles south of St. Louis, MO. As the crow flies, that location is approximately 275 miles from Jamestown, KY - which is the westernmost reach of Lake Cumberland. I would guess that 12 years is functionally possible for mountain lions to expand their territory east by 275 miles, but I think establishing a noticeable "population" in that time period is unlikely. That means enough mountain lions have to make their way across both the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, travel 275 miles, and then find other mountain lions enough to reproduce multiple times.

-As recently as March 2011, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has declared the Eastern Cougar as extinct. See Here.

I have eye witness testimony but it wouldn't be conclusive in a court of law.

Where is cammando when you need him!?

The first confirmed sighting in Pulaski Co. was in Dec.2001.. Caught on a game camera but I haven't dug up the photo yet..

• 3 weeks later...