Wearing a rosary means you are in a 'gang' in MN

The district’s student discipline policy forbids “any apparel, jewelry, accessories, or matter of grooming which by virtue of its color arrangement, trademark, or any other attribute (as a primary purpose) denotes membership in an organized gang.”

The district’s student discipline policy forbids “any apparel, jewelry, accessories, or matter of grooming which by virtue of its color arrangement, trademark, or any other attribute (as a primary purpose) denotes membership in an organized gang.”
So, the primary purpose of wearing a rosary is to denote you are in a gang? Glad this school cleared this up.

If it was my kid I would tell the school that he is still going to wear it and to stick it! If they attempted to discipline him they would be headed to court over denying him religious freedom.

^ although it may not be common to wear the rosary as a necklace I have seen peopke wearing it many times.

I was taught by my grandma, who attended church every single day she possibly could (which was about 5-6 days a week), that I would go to Hell for wearing the Rosary as a necklace. It's something to be prayed over, not adorned.

There is nothing written that says you cannot wear a rosary as a necklace, but many writings do say it's okay. Nuns wear them as necklaces, many clergy as well, and if you look at pictures from medieval times you see men, women and children also wearing rosaries. As long as the person is wearing it for the right reasons, which means not as jewelry for a fashion statement but to respect and understand that it is a sacramental and holy relic, there has been articles that say it's okay, and it is a very powerful tool against the devil. Many people in Latin America wear them, most to show devotion to the Blessed Mother, as do many other people, many people, mostly Hispanics put them on their rearview mirrors.

St. Louis De Montfort wrote a book 250 years ago about wearing the rosary called Secrets Of The Rosary, in the book was a story of King Alphonsus of Leon and Galicia who wore his rosary on his belt. He never prayed the rosary, but many people did because they saw him wearing it. When he died and was being judged, Mary asked for a scale and put all his sins on one side and all the rosary's which were prayed because of his influence on the other side. The rosary's out-weighed the sins and he was able to go to heaven.

He also said "Let me but place my rosary around a sinner's neck, and he will not escape me."

We cannot look into the heart of this kid, but we can assume under the circumstances with his grandmother that this kid is not wearing it as a fashion statement, so therefor it's okay.

The Rosary is most certainly NOT a necklace. Those who wear it as such are very uneducated about what it means.
My grandmother too was a devout as it appears your grandmother was. I am aware the rosary is not a necklace nor have I ever worn any of mine as such. Just asking if it were a standard necklace, or one with some "bling" and a cross/crucifix on the end of it, would it have mattered? I used to wear one and wonder if I would have been suspended from this school?

There is nothing written that says you cannot wear a rosary as a necklace, but many writings do say it's okay. Nuns wear them as necklaces, many clergy as well, and if you look at pictures from medieval times you see men, women and children also wearing rosaries. As long as the person is wearing it for the right reasons, which means not as jewelry for a fashion statement but to respect and understand that it is a sacramental and holy relic, there has been articles that say it's okay, and it is a very powerful tool against the devil. Many people in Latin America wear them, most to show devotion to the Blessed Mother, as do many other people, many people, mostly Hispanics put them on their rearview mirrors.

St. Louis De Montfort wrote a book 250 years ago about wearing the rosary called Secrets Of The Rosary, in the book was a story of King Alphonsus of Leon and Galicia who wore his rosary on his belt. He never prayed the rosary, but many people did because they saw him wearing it. When he died and was being judged, Mary asked for a scale and put all his sins on one side and all the rosary's which were prayed because of his influence on the other side. The rosary's out-weighed the sins and he was able to go to heaven.

He also said "Let me but place my rosary around a sinner's neck, and he will not escape me."

We cannot look into the heart of this kid, but we can assume under the circumstances with his grandmother that this kid is not wearing it as a fashion statement, so therefor it's okay.

Nuns and clergy do NOT wear the rosary as a necklace. That is sacrilegious.

Nuns and clergy do NOT wear the rosary as a necklace. That is sacrilegious.
Sorry to disagree with you, but I stand by my statements! Yes, I have seen nuns and clergy wear the rosary.

The closes thing that addresses thos topic is under the Code Of Cannon Law 1171.