Nathan Dieudonne Named Mr. Basketball

Nathan Dieudonne capped a storybook season with the top honor in Kentucky high school boys’ basketball.

Dieudonne, who helped lead Trinity High School to its first state championship in March, was named Mr. Basketball on Saturday night during a ceremony at the Seelbach Hilton hotel.

“This is just icing on the cake,” Dieudonne said. “The state championship was our main goal, but obviously this is a big award.”

Dieudonne beat out four other finalists: Buckhorn’s Matt Day, Moore’s Mekale McKay, Scott County’s Tamron Manning and Rowan County’s Adam Wing.

bilde?Site=B2&Date=20120428&Category=SPORTS05&ArtNo=304280127&Ref=AR&Profile=1031&MaxW=300&Border=0&Kentucky-crowns-hoops-royalty-Trinity-Boone-stars-honored-Mr-Miss-BasketballPurchase Image

Nathan Dieudonne / David R. Lutman/Special to The

Kentucky crowns hoops royalty: Trinity and Boone stars honored as Mr. and Miss Basketball | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

Nathan Dieudonne of Trinity has been chosen Kentucky’s Mr. Basketball, the first time in 50 years the award has gone to a player from a private school.

Mike Silliman of St. Xavier is the only other private-school player to be named Mr. Basektball. He won the honor in 1962.

Fields Notes

Those daggone privates. I bet they win every Mr. Basketball from now on.

(Heavy sarcasm)

His last name, I read, means something like "gift from God" in French. The Trinity community is very thankful for him.

Hearty congrats to Nathan and his family.

I knew my 3 years of High School French and 2 years of College French would come in handy some day.

Dieu is the French word for God.

Donner is the French verb for "To Give"

So, a Gift from God would be literally accurate in this case.