The TRUTH about H.S. sports in Ky.

TRIPLETHREAT

Point by point, somebody tell me if there are any falsehoods here.

1. Both Public and Private schools in Kentucky recruit players.

2. Jobs are offered to players parents in the county or city of the school in

order to have an official change of residence.

3. Some parents actually choose to move based solely on athletic

reasons.

4. Private schools generally have an easier time recruiting.

5. Some private institutions send busses two or three counties away each

morning to pick up their star players.

6. Some public institutions knowingly submit a false address in order to make a

student eligible.

My point is this: There will always be inequities in consideration to the ease of recruiting of a player. People will continue to find ways to make kids eligible. Consider a rural community with no manufacturing jobs as opposed to an urban area. There will be more opportunities to find work for the parents in the urban setting. Therefore, the urban public schools would have a competitive advantage over the rural public schools. What do you do then? Is there a solution? In my opinion , YES. Change the rules for everyone. The way to solve the the problem is to make the rule cut and dry. Something like this: Each high school athlete is allowed 1 transfer during his varsity career. One and one only. Sure there are a few details to work out, but both sides recruit. Their means of recruiting are different only because of the limitations the current system. ;)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

reasons.

student eligible.

My point is this: There will always be inequities in consideration to the ease of recruiting of a player. People will continue to find ways to make kids eligible. Consider a rural community with no manufacturing jobs as opposed to an urban area. There will be more opportunities to find work for the parents in the urban setting. Therefore, the urban public schools would have a competitive advantage over the rural public schools. What do you do then? is there a solution? In my opinion , YES. Change the rules for everyone. The way to solve the the problem is to make the rule cut and dry. Something like this: Each high scholl athlete is allowed 1 transfer during his varsity career. One and one only. Sure there are a few details to work out, but both sides recruit, their means of recruiting are different because of the current system. ;)

I'd just like to point out that #5, at least as far as the Louisville Catholic Private schools go, is false. We don't even have busses, except maybe one or two at some schools.

reasons.

student eligible.

;)

IN NKY (which has a mix of private, independent, and public schools)

1. No. Both public and private schools recruit students, some of which will be athletes, some will be good and some not so good.

2. No. You couldn't pull this off in NKY even if you really, really tried.

3. Yes, with a condition. If you consider that some families consider School A just as good academically as School B and let sports be a tie-breaker.

4. No. It is not easy to convince someone to spend 18,000 to 26,000 over a 4 year period. Or even with 50% aid 9,000 to 13,000.

5. No. No school-owned buses up here at private and independent school for the most part.

6. No. Again pulling that off would be difficult in NKY (every school is right on top of another) and it is not needed at private or independent schools.

I do know of this situation . My brother-in law recently bought an apartment building in an upscale city in Northern Campbell Co . One tenant in the building was a young lady who supposedly was a student at NKU . She was said to be living there with her mother who signed the lease . In reality she was a 17 year old high school student living there alone so she would have an address in this city and be able to attend high school there for free .Needless to say "Alice doesn't live there any more ." In my eyes they were cheating the taxpayers of that city. And no I don't know if she played sports at this particular school or not. I wonder how often this has happened in this city or is this just an isolated incident there.

I do know of this situation . My brother-in law recently bought an apartment building in an upscale city in Northern Campbell Co . One tenant in the building was a young lady who supposedly was a student at NKU . She was said to be living there with her mother who signed the lease . In reality she was a 17 year old high school student living there alone so she would have an address in this city and be able to attend high school there for free .Needless to say "Alice doesn't live there any more ." In my eyes they were cheating the taxpayers of that city. And no I don't know if she played sports at this particular school or not. I wonder how often this has happened in this city or is this just an isolated incident there.

If she lived there then she was a taxpayer as well. ;)

No they were only renters the owner of the apt building was paying the taxes. And as I stated the 17 year old lived there alone .Oh except for all the 17 year old boys that seemed to magically appear from the bowels of the apartment as if a miracle was happening.