What is legal/fair?

sticku

Should a public school that has open enrollment be allowed to actively recruit students from other districts/counties/cities/states? Would red flags go up if Louisville kids public/private starting recieving literature from surrounding counties/cities/states? If the above scenerio is currently allowed, what is the basis by which we identify the students we want to recruit?

Recruiting will be a problem as long as there is open enrollment in areas. Get over it. If kids had to go where they lived then coaches wouldn't waste their time. They would take what they get and you would see good parity in lots of sports.

Recruiting will be a problem as long as there is open enrollment in areas. Get over it. If kids had to go where they lived then coaches wouldn't waste their time. They would take what they get and you would see good parity in lots of sports.

Well, thank the Lord that our education system is better than that...

All closed enrollment would do would be to swell Trinity, X, Assumption and Sacred Heart's student populations...

Is there an answer? Can schools with open enrolment actively recruit kids from other cities/counties/states? I'm talking about a non JCPS recruiting students from other counties/district/cties/and states. Can we currently do that? Can we send literature to public and/or privates school students outside of our county/district inviting them to enroll at our outstanding academic school? Would the KHSAA jump in and slap the cuffs on us?

Can anyone answer this question? Or do we not want to answer the question? I do know that some schools (private) can do all of the previously mentioned. Is there a double standard? Would a public county school get sanctioned if we started actively recruiting students across county/state/city/district lines?

Can anyone answer this question? Or do we not want to answer the question? I do know that some schools (private) can do all of the previously mentioned. Is there a double standard? Would a public county school get sanctioned if we started actively recruiting students across county/state/city/district lines?

Can you spell D-E-A-T-H P-E-N-A-L-T-Y Of course they would be sanctioned. AND the privates would be yelling the loudest.

What is fair is not always legal and what is legal is not always fair....that is life. Generally I think people want equal and of course equal does not mean fair either, nor does it mean legal, but you can make anything legal whether its fair or equal or not.

Now, just how confusing is that?

That is the battle in a nut shell between the "pubic" and "private" schools.

What is fair is not always legal and what is legal is not always fair....that is life. Generally I think people want equal and of course equal does not mean fair either, nor does it mean legal, but you can make anything legal whether its fair or equal or not.

Now, just how confusing is that?

That is the battle in a nut shell between the "pubic" and "private" schools.

So....it all boils down to there is no such thing as equitable in competition.

One person has stated that a public school would/should/could receive KHSAA sanctions for actively recruiting students outside of it's county, district, city, and/or state. Private schools apparently can and do this. Why can't we? Or maybe we can and we just don't know it? Is this part of the classic "quit whining and work harder" rational? Should we work harder at recruiting the right students? Are there any private school defenders that want to weigh in on this?

As I read KHSAA ByLaw 10 there is no legal recruitment. I suggest that if any poster has not read the document that you do so. Open enrollment is a choice of the local Board of Education for each public district. Open enrollment does not cross district boundary lines. For students living in one district to attend another district and have their ADA follow them contracts between districts must be signed. The receiving district may also charge tuition. If a district is allowing students to attend without receiving their ADA or tuition equivalent they are doing a disservice to their own patrons, educating out-of-district students for free.

One person has stated that a public school would/should/could receive KHSAA sanctions for actively recruiting students outside of it's county, district, city, and/or state. Private schools apparently can and do this. Why can't we? Or maybe we can and we just don't know it? Is this part of the classic "quit whining and work harder" rational? Should we work harder at recruiting the right students? Are there any private school defenders that want to weigh in on this?

There is no recruiting.