St. Henry 63 Covington Holy Cross 43

After a 14-12 first quarter score St. Henry started to pull away in the 2nd quarter and led by 12 at halftime. Holy Cross tried to make a few runs in the 2nd half but St. Henry did a great job defensively. The Indians missed a lot of shots in the paint and at the rim and were 5/13 from the line. That's not going to get it done against a good team. Good luck to the rest of the teams in the All A. Whoever wins will represent the 9th well at state.

Unofficial scoring from Holy Cross Radio.

HC -

Hicks 12, McClendon 12, Gabbard 8, Meyer 6,Niehaus 5

St.Henry -

Vieth 17, Bessler 17, Connor Shea 10, Cory Shea 5, Daniel 4, Teeten 4, Ravenscraft 4, Maher 2

Going in I had expected a much closer affair as Holy Cross truly isn’t at all a bad team, and they show much potential with their speed and diligence, but as has been stated they just couldn’t connect on many of their shots, and was dismal from the line. Much of that in reference to their poor shooting can be accredited to St. Henry’s swarming defense to contest every shot. They did have some open 3 ball looks, but those weren’t dropping as well as they would’ve liked.

With that said, St. Henry is a well oiled machine, and a dynamite force that now I can see clearly how they were able to take down Lexington Catholic.

Their ball rotation, cuts, and nifty passing goes like bam bam bam score, bam bam bam score at a dizzying pace that leave their opponents wondering what the hell just hit them.

They have so many weapons that can get you with every player on the floor, and while everyone is a sound and quick contributor still the play of Bessler and Vieth is so high level that they cannot be denied. They impose their will, and finish with beautiful accuracy.

I knew that St. Hanks was tough, but again going in I was high on Team Indians, but whew now I just jumped ship and am high on Team Crusaders, and I couldn’t but help to think that if they and the almighty Colonels’ paths ever do cross again this season, I don’t think that it will be the 20 something point pounding that they took the first time around.

Sure it would be a bold statement to think that they could win that match, but I think that I see a team in St. Henry that are likely a 1000 times more competitive than they were at the beginning of the season now that are solid in their groove, though 10-3 is nothing to sneeze at, and they did beat the undeniably tough team that beat CovCath.

The likelihood of a St. Henry/Beechwood meeting in the All ‘A’ has me salivating for an incredibly dynamite final, but it’s now very hard for me to see any other All ‘A’ team that can better the Crusaders.

We’ll have to wait until Feb 19th, but I also can’t wait to see them in a bit of a potential regional tourney preview when the Birds travel to take on St. Henry, which should also be an incredibly dynamite contest.

Edited by B-Ball-fan

• 2 weeks later...