Top 150 College Coaches of All-Time

Jumper_Dad

The first four men selected among the 150 Greatest Coaches, as selected by our blue-ribbon panel of 150 media members, administrators and former players and coaches, span more than a century of the sport. No. 3 Knute Rockne debuted in 1918. No. 2 Nick Saban just concluded the 2019 regular season. Between those two, No. 1 Paul "Bear" Bryant and No. 4 Tom Osborne together coached from the end of World War II to nearly the end of the 20th century. The only decade not covered by these four coaches is the 1930s.

The 150 greatest coaches in college football's 150-year history

Other coaches of note...

5. Eddie Robinson Grambling

7. Joe Paterno Penn St.

8. Bobby Bowden Florida State

9. Woody Hayes Ohio State

13. Barry Switzer Oklahoma

20. Bo Schembechler Michigan

23. Lou Holtz Notre Dame/South Carolina

24. Vince Dooley Georgia

27. Steve Spurrier Florida/S. Carolina

29. Bob Stoops Oklahoma

31. Dabo Swinney Clemson

35. Jim Tressel Ohio State

45. Frank Beamer Murray State/Virginia Tech

46. Urban Meyer Florida/Ohio State

49. Jimmy Johnson Miami

50. Loyd Carr Michigan

60. Roy Kidd Eastern Kentucky

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Urban over his time at OSU did less with more than any one else. Those head scratching losses nearly every year, probably hurt his legacy.

Bo Schembechler never won a national title and is 26 spots ahead of Urban. Come on JD this list is completely invalidated by that fact alone. Urban also has the highest winning percentage of everyone on this list besides Knute Rockne. I would agree with the bad losses hurting his legacy, but his legacy prior to that is top 5 of all time and it probably bumps him down a spot or two not all the way to 46. That’s completely laughable.

Never heard of this guy. I have heard of Mt. Union but did not know who their coach was. Check out that record.

28. Larry Kehres, 332-24-3

Mount Union (1986-2012)

In 27 seasons at Mount Union, Kehres' teams stockpiled 11 Division III national titles, 21 unbeaten regular seasons and 23 conference championships. His teams had winning streaks of 54 and 55 games. His .929 winning percentage is the best among any coach at any NCAA level.

Urban over his time at OSU did less with more than any one else. Those head scratching losses nearly every year, probably hurt his legacy.

You sound like me talking about Calipari minus the 3 titles. The 3 titles should hold some weight. 3rd highest winning percentage, 1 of 16 coaches all time and 1 of 9 since 1950 with 3 or more titles.

You sound like me talking about Calipari minus the 3 titles. The 3 titles should hold some weight. 3rd highest winning percentage, 1 of 16 coaches all time and 1 of 9 since 1950 with 3 or more titles.

I’m with you that Urban should have been higher.

But in fairness, Jumper was speaking of Urban’s record at OSU and so it would be only one title rather than 3.