Ryle's Battle of the Borders 11/16

Ryle's Battle of the Borders will play this weekend on Saturday on the Union, Ky campus. Good luck to all the teams this weekend. It will be exciting to see where everyone is at so far.

9:30am Highlands - Loveland (OH)

11:00am Notre Dame - Princeton (OH)

12:30pm Owensboro Catholic - Mercy McAuley (OH)

12:30pm Conner - Wyoming (OH) at Gray Middle School

2:00pm Southwestern - Pickerington Central (OH)

3:30pm Ryle - Roger Bacon (OH)

5:00pm Boone County - Mason (OH)

6:30pm Dixie - Sycamore (OH)

High school preseason basketball showcases feature Ohio, NKY teams

I saw the first several series but couldn't tell you all the scores. Each pairing played three 20 minute halves and the score was wiped after each period. This is what I saw in terms of periods won...

Loveland: 2; Highlands 0; Tie 1

Highlands ran their system as smoothly as ever. They are obviously still well coached and all on the same page. But they looked like they are still adjusting to life without Barth. Hayes' (from Loveland) size and athleticism seemed to be way too much for any Highlands defender to handle, and Highlands did not shoot the ball particularly well. I'm sure they'll be very strong before too long, but Saturday was a tough matchup. Loveland is extremely talented. Also... I'm not sure why, but Piper Macke was not on the court Saturday. That could very well have played a big factor in the outcome.

Princeton 3; Notre Dame 0

Again, the Ohio squad just had more firepower. I couldn't give you names for Princeton, but they feature a 6'5 post player who is very physical, powerful, and athletic. She is surrounded by track stars at all positions. So they can play fast, and they can also bludgeon people in the half court. NDA didn't look particular bad, it was just, again, a difficult matchup. NDA looked scrappy, deep, and well organized. They just didn't appear to have the top end firepower to matchup with a team like Princeton.

Connor 3; Wyoming 0

Granted, Wyoming looked like possibly the weakest Varsity team at this event. But Connor looked much more impressive than I anticipated. At several points, they played with 2 guards and 3 bigs. They were very tough defensively in the half court and have a really nice list of half court sets. They still feature two of the best posts in NKY in Drummonds and Murphy. Drummonds in particular was an absolute force in the paint. Again, Wyoming was simply outmatched and Connor was just better in every aspect. But I could see Connor struggling against teams who can shoot the ball very well and teams who can pressure the snot out of their backcourt. Connor has one of the better front courts in the area. But their season could very well come down to the development of their guard play.

Ryle & Roger Bacon

I did not see this matchup but I spoke to a few people who did. Word is that Ryle's starting lineup looks as dangerous and explosive as everyone expected they could be. And just like everyone expected, their depth, or current lack their of, is their achilles heal right now. When the starting 5 of Scherr, Douthit, Crittenden, Crist, and Holtmann were in the game... dynamite. But as soon as they went to the bench there were issues. Again, that information is second hand. I didn't see it with my eyes.

Dixie & Sycamore

Again, I didn't see this one, but heard from several that the Dixie backcourt carried them in this one. Playmakers Laci Reinhart and Sydney Lockard put on a show. Like a lot of teams, their question mark will be depth. But even though I didn't see them yesterday, I know that the Dixie backcourt is fun to watch.

Hope that helps! Love to hear if anyone saw things differently!