DNA Test Results - The Federal Database is growing

theguru

I am sure many of us have sent in our spit to learn about our DNA, ancestry, and a whole host of other interesting information. I have always thought about doing it, and still may, but I also have always told everyone you know that stuff is going to end up in a Federal Database. Of course most people blew me (and many others saying the same thing) off but it is true, at least with the results one company has been collecting.

As it turns out, Houston, Texas-based FamilyTreeDNA – one of the most prominent private DNA testing companies – has given the FBI free license to search its genealogy database, granting feds virtually unlimited access to a treasure trove of genetic data for the purpose of solving violent crimes.

FamilyTreeDNA Admits to Sharing Genetic Data With the FBI

I thought this highlighted comment from the article was especially interesting:

“A study last year estimated that only 2 percent of the population needs to have done a DNA test for virtually everyone’s genetic information to be represented in that data.”

In other words, once the Government has 2% of the available DNA, they may not know who the "bad girl/guy" is but they know some of your relatives. :wave:

Also from the article University of Baltimore assistant law professor Natalie Ram who specializes in bioethics and criminal justice gave her opinion on some of the implications:

“We are nearing a de-facto national DNA database … We don’t choose our genetic relatives, and I cannot sever my genetic relation to them. There’s nothing voluntary about that.”

I feel like we are quickly moving to a day and age where crime is going to be nearly impossible to get away with and we are going to have a real form of Minority Report meets Artificial Intelligence meets Human Agendas. It scares me. Not for me, but for our children, grandchildren, and so on.

What do you think? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I don't know.

Imagine if there was an unsolved crime with no evidence whatsoever and then all of a sudden your DNA was "found" at the scene.

You'd have to prove I was at the scene at the time of the crime. Just because my DNA was there doesn't mean I was.

You'd have to prove I was at the scene at the time of the crime. Just because my DNA was there doesn't mean I was.

In today's dollars it would probably cost $20 million to defend that kind of case considering what you would be up against.

In today's dollars it would probably cost $20 million to defend that kind of case considering what you would be up against.

With as much surveillance and technology as there is in today's world, it would be pretty easy to prove you weren't in a particular place.

With as much surveillance and technology as there is in today's world, it would be pretty easy to prove you weren't in a particular place.

Or, if you were being framed, would all that information be manipulated too?

All I am saying is such powerful databases are ripe for abuse.

I'm worried also. But I'm more worried about the health care \ insurance issues with DNA test results. What's going to happen when they think they can predict who will get cancer and who will not?

Keep your glass help full and hope that it means better preventative health care for those of us more likely to get cancer.

As for the data base, does not bother me at all.

Or, if you were being framed, would all that information be manipulated too?

All I am saying is such powerful databases are ripe for abuse.

If someone is going to manipulate the evidence, I feel that they easily could manipulate the evidence to include your DNA as well.