What Are You Reading In 2019?

Randy Parker

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just started what purports to be the final book Christopher Tolkien has cobbled together from his father’s manuscripts: The Fall of Gondolin. Been looking forward to it.

Crazy to me that Christopher is himself now 94 years old and still working through the notes of his father, who’s been dead for 45 years.

About to go crash on the couch with Liane Moriarty's "Nine Perfect Strangers". I'm excited she finally published something again (she's one of my fav fun authors). She's taken time off writing recently due to her involvement in the "Big Little Lies" productions.

Assuming this was the basis for the movie, We Were Soldiers?

Yes, it was. The hardest part about reading this book so far is the realistic account of the beginnings of this battle and the intensity of the fighting at the Landing Zone. What courage in the face of an impossible situation. They faced 3 battalions of the enemy. The book conveys the chaotic nature of it all. I also like that the authors include quotations from the perspective of the other men who were a part of the action. William T Sherman was correct when he wrote: "War is hell."