Kentucky Prep Softball 2018 Preseason Top 50 Players "Watch List"

51 coaches voted...

16 regions....

That's around 3 coaches per region."

I think some of this stuff is frustrating when you see kids excluded who are far better than the kids on the list! Having said that, it is 51 coaches out of more than 300 so understandable that they all pick their own kids! Regardless, the college coaches will sort it all out and when a kid who doesn't make the list in all 4 years ends up playing at a high Division 1 level, we can just appreciate the kid!

Edited by LoveSports

I had a feeling that McCracken County would be very good in softball when they consolidated. Most of the pre-consolidation schools were very good at the sport, particularly Reidland.

Lone oak was very strong right before the consolidation as well. Heath was a top 20 to add in with the other 2.

The No. 26 player was honorable mention, but not even in the top 10 in her own region.

The No. 34 player in the state wasn't even honorable mention in her own region.

Granted All-Region voting and the watch list voting are two completely separate votes, but still ...

There are many inconsistencies and questionable lists. That's why I always say "let's play ball!" If coaches truly pay attention to offense AND defense and come to the same conclusions as these lists (both Regional and State) then so be it. As I said before, college coaches will truly determine where these kids should be ranked. Hopefully we have a great and exciting season!

The one thing that I don't like is the way the ballots are distributed. As an assistant I pay dues to be a part of the coaches association, but never see a ballet in my email. There are times our head coach hasn't gotten an email. I've have known our head coach for years and when he got official votes I was always a part of the decision on who we voted for. There might be more involvement if the emails were sent and everyone was given a chance to vote... as in each member votes there own ballot. With technology the way it is today this wouldn't be hard to achieve. I don't agree with everything on the list but I do think they got most of the best players on there. I don't want to sound like I'm upset about the list because I'm not. I also want to acknowledge the coaches association. Just my 2 cents.

There are many inconsistencies and questionable lists. That's why I always say "let's play ball!" If coaches truly pay attention to offense AND defense and come to the same conclusions as these lists (both Regional and State) then so be it. As I said before, college coaches will truly determine where these kids should be ranked. Hopefully we have a great and exciting season!

I believe you are right a really good kid will shine and her play will take of the rest. I also believe that these list will get a kid who hasn't gotten the press, whether they play at a small school or a remote part of the state, need these list to get her name out there. I know a few coaches who read the papers and social media outlets and hopefully a list like this will get someone noticed.

The one thing that I don't like is the way the ballots are distributed. As an assistant I pay dues to be a part of the coaches association, but never see a ballet in my email. There are times our head coach hasn't gotten an email. I've have known our head coach for years and when he got official votes I was always a part of the decision on who we voted for. There might be more involvement if the emails were sent and everyone was given a chance to vote... as in each member votes there own ballot. With technology the way it is today this wouldn't be hard to achieve. I don't agree with everything on the list but I do think they got most of the best players on there. I don't want to sound like I'm upset about the list because I'm not. I also want to acknowledge the coaches association. Just my 2 cents.

The problem with letting assistants vote too is that it can sku the voting two ways (especially in areas where other coaches refuse to vote or are oblivious to a coaches association):

1) You get TOO homerish. You make sure YOUR kids are represnted over the ones who really deserve it.

2) You vote for non-deserving kids over deserving ones because of your hate for another program. I can't count the number of times I saw coaches vote for an average Joe with hopes other coaches would vote honestly. That way, your kid gets on. In reality, what happens is other coaches vote dishonest, too and you get some screwy teams.

The problem with letting assistants vote too is that it can sku the voting two ways (especially in areas where other coaches refuse to vote or are oblivious to a coaches association):

1) You get TOO homerish. You make sure YOUR kids are represnted over the ones who really deserve it.

2) You vote for non-deserving kids over deserving ones because of your hate for another program. I can't count the number of times I saw coaches vote for an average Joe with hopes other coaches would vote honestly. That way, your kid gets on. In reality, what happens is other coaches vote dishonest, too and you get some screwy teams.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I’m a high school softball coach, and if another coach deliberately votes against another program’s player for hatred, jealousy, trying to get their own player on the list or for awards, etc. then they shouldn’t be coaching to begin with! That is completely unethical and not part of our coaching ethics. Coaches, GOOD COACHES, give credit where credit is due and recognize other talented players, not just their own. Coaching high school sports is about the kids, NOT jealousies, rivalries, hatred, etc. This has always been a pet peeve of mine.

While I think your right to a point, I believe coachtf is also on point. If you think the numbers aren't manipulated by the head coaches then we are going to disagree all the way around. A lot of assistants are also scouts and see kids that some head coaches don't see. I don't want to get away from my point though. We want more involvement in the coaches association but we're not going to trust the guys who do as much and sometimes more than the HC. It's really not a big deal. I honestly believe you could get more names out there. I also believe that if a coach won't vote for the better players because of rivalries and personal reasons, he's not really a coach to begin with. It's hard to teach integrity to players when a coach has none. The players can see this before adults do. I've always try to coach my players up, but not sugarcoat the truth.