Where to eat in Detroit?

Oldbird

These two are both very good.

Slow's Bar BQ - it's in the Corktown district near Central Station.

Pizza Papalis on Monroe St

Another that has a great reputation, but I have never managed to make it there is Dime Store on Griswold St.

All 3 of them are within a mile to 1.5 miles of Little Caesar's Arena. Real quick Uber or a 20 minute or so hike.

Edited by coldweatherfan

These two are both very good.

Slow's Bar BQ - it's in the Corktown district near Central Station.

Pizza Papalis on Monroe St

Another that has a great reputation, but I have never managed to make it there is Dime Store on Griswold St.

All 3 of them are within a mile to 1.5 miles of Little Caesar's Arena. Real quick Uber or a 20 minute or so hike.

Thank you!!!

Didn't know what Detroit style pizza was, so I just googled it. Does Jet's originate from Detroit? That's what it looked like to me.

According to my Google machine, the first Jet's was opened in Sterling Heights, Michigan. So I'm guessing that is Detroit Style Pizza. I wasn't aware that Detroit style pizza was a thing either.

Be sure to keep us posted OB.

About the food and the games.

Games obviously didn't go well for us, but I did eat at Pizza Papalis. It was good. Not as good as Lou's, but in line with the other big Chicago names (Geno's East and Giordano's). I will say it is a very popular spot and by the time I left they were waiting outside on a cool day.

The arena is very very nice; however, there isn't much around it to walk to or eat. Kid Rock's Restaurant was attached to the arena so I ate dinner there. I had pimento cheese shrimp and grits and it was an excellent surprise. I sat at the bar and started talking to the lady next to me. Turns out she was the AD from Milwaukee. A very nice person and interesting to talk to.

After the game, I decided not to spend the night and just drove straight back. I got home at 3:00 am.

Nice trip. Just wish I was headed back there tomorrow.

Games obviously didn't go well for us, but I did eat at Pizza Papalis. It was good. Not as good as Lou's, but in line with the other big Chicago names (Geno's East and Giordano's). I will say it is a very popular spot and by the time I left they were waiting outside on a cool day.

The arena is very very nice; however, there isn't much around it to walk to or eat. Kid Rock's Restaurant was attached to the arena so I ate dinner there. I had pimento cheese shrimp and grits and it was an excellent surprise. I sat at the bar and started talking to the lady next to me. Turns out she was the AD from Milwaukee. A very nice person and interesting to talk to.

After the game, I decided not to spend the night and just drove straight back. I got home at 3:00 am.

Was hoping for bigger things out of the Norse too. Sorry it didn't go better.

Pimento cheese and grits is awesome.

Folks here in Greater Cincinnati don't realize how close we actually are to Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Erie, Pa., Huntington and Charleston, W.Va..

Great weekend getaways.

When I was a kid it would take us three hours to go from NoKy to Louisville to go to Churchill Downs on a Saturday afternoon via US 42. Now in the same amount of time you can be in nearly all of the aforementioned places. Detroit, Cleveland and Erie probably add an hour.