Dixie

Karim 20

Schreck 16

Shumate 9

Trimpe 7

Cody 6

Gentry 4

17/25 FT's

With big 6'6" center Brendan Luken out with an ankle sprain, the Breds were at a huge height disadvantage tonight. However, they made up for it in hustle and pressure defense to come away with the hard fought victory.

The 1st quarter was far from stellar, but the Breds kept it close. Then got things cookin' in the 2nd stanza to take a 5 point lead to the locker room. After the break the Breds increased the lead to double digits, but the scrappy Red Colonels fought their way back.

With under a minute to go and the Breds holding a 7 point lead, Jamin Shumate bags a triple with 52 ticks left to bring Dixie within 4. On the following inbounds play, Jabari Karim gets the theft and the easy lay-in to make the score 62-60 with just under 50 seconds. Brennen Hall is fouled and he coverts both freebies to give the Breds a 64-60 lead. The following trip down the floor NewCath's Jalen McDaniel draws the charge from Tyler Schreck and on the ensuing trip down the floor, Braden Posey with the sweet dime to Paul Kremer underneath and the Breds are up 6 with under 15 seconds left. With 7 seconds remaining Schreck is fouled shooting a 3 and makes 2/3 FT's, but Hall gets the reb on the 3rd FT and is fouled and connects on 1/2 for the final points of the game.

For Dixie, I was really impressed with Tyler Schreck and Jabari Karim , Schreck was a beast on the glass and Karim penetrating to the rim.

For NewCath, IMHO, I thought Hall was trying to do too much on his own in the 1st half, but he did hit some clutch shots. Really liking what I see out of Braden Posey, kid brings LOTS of energy to the floor.

However, give me Jalen McDaniel ALL. DAY. LONG......Will he drop 10, 15, or 20 every game......probably not, but he will give you 100% each and every minute in the game at both ends of the floor. :ylsuper:

Breds have a very tough task on Friday, especially without Luken, as the travel across the Licking River to take on their "fish-eating" brethren, the Blue Colonels of CovCath. It's a VARSITY ONLY 7:30 tip.

Edited by Lawnboy13

Box score

Newport Central Catholic 67, Dixie Heights 62

Dixie Heights (0-2) - Karim 9 0 20, Cody 2 2 6, Gentry 2 0 4, Schreck 4 8 16, Schumate 2 4 9, Trimpe 2 3 7. Totals: 21 17 62.

Newport Central Catholic (4-0) - Hall 8 5 26, Posey 3 2 8, Gearding 1 0 2, Pangallo 1 1 4, Kremer 2 0 5, Iles 1 0 2, McDaniel 6 8 20. Totals: 22 16 67.

Halftime: NCC 30-25. 3-pointers: DH 3 (Karim 2, Schumate), NCC 7 (Hall 5, Pangallo, Kremer).

With big 6'6" center Brendan Luken out with an ankle sprain, the Breds were at a huge height disadvantage tonight. However, they made up for it in hustle and pressure defense to come away with the hard fought victory.

The 1st quarter was far from stellar, but the Breds kept it close. Then got things cookin' in the 2nd stanza to take a 5 point lead to the locker room. After the break the Breds increased the lead to double digits, but the scrappy Red Colonels fought their way back.

With under a minute to go and the Breds holding a 7 point lead, Jamin Shumate bags a triple with 52 ticks left to bring Dixie within 4. On the following inbounds play, Jabari Karim gets the theft and the easy lay-in to make the score 62-60 with just under 50 seconds. Brennen Hall is fouled and he coverts both freebies to give the Breds a 64-60 lead. The following trip down the floor NewCath's Jalen McDaniel draws the charge from Tyler Schreck and on the ensuing trip down the floor, Braden Posey with the sweet dime to Paul Kremer underneath and the Breds are up 6 with under 15 seconds left. With 7 seconds remaining Schreck is fouled shooting a 3 and makes 2/3 FT's, but Hall gets the reb on the 3rd FT and is fouled and connects on 1/2 for the final points of the game.

For Dixie, I was really impressed with Tyler Schreck and Jabari Karim , Schreck was a beast on the glass and Karim penetrating to the rim.

For NewCath, IMHO, I thought Hall was trying to do too much on his own in the 1st half, but he did hit some clutch shots. Really liking what I see out of Braden Posey, kid brings LOTS of energy to the floor.

However, give me Jalen McDaniel ALL. DAY. LONG......Will he drop 10, 15, or 20 every game......probably not, but he will give you 100% each and every minute in the game at both ends of the floor. :ylsuper:

Breds have a very tough task on Friday, especially without Luken, as the travel across the Licking River to take on their "fish-eating" brethren, the Blue Colonels of CovCath. It's a VARSITY ONLY 7:30 tip.

Nice summary and sounds like a great game. Solid win for the Breds!

Dixie must be better than people think!.... to go on the road with a young team and take a senior heavy team to the wire is impressive. Going to be a tough out come regionals.

Newcath was missing there big man in the middle. And iles went down with a broken nose in the first half. But Dixie is long an athletic an will be a tough out.

Hey LB, Just not scoring much? I was kinda shocked not to see his name a little more these first couple of weeks.

Though possibly a big fish in a small pond, it was rather remarkable that as an 8th grader at Beechwood the offense seemed to essentially go trough Jefferson. I still recall that in his coming out game against CovCath he was pretty much the only threat, or only one capable of scoring.

As that season progressed he continued to impress and wet our whistles to the potential of things to come.

Now he's a sophomore with a program that typically offers numerous guns so I'm assuming that he might be getting lost in the mix, or with so many options that there's little need to focus solely on him.

No doubt had he stayed a Tiger he'd be a star there with tons of playing time, and I'm assuming that maybe his move was with hopes of bigger exposure on a bigger stage, but so far this doesn't appear to have panned out maybe the way we, and/or he had anticipated.

I suppose that personally I sorta expected a more prominent role by now, but with Hall and Posey in front of him it's a little hard to ignore the need to rely on them.

Maybe still his junior and senior years will prove to be fruitful, and that his basketball education and experience with a such a sound program as NewCath will begin to pay off.

Barring any unforeseen injuries I would think that it would have to. I'm just not buying that all said and done his peak season will have been his 8th grade year. There's just got to be more Jefferson in the future in the discussion. Surely the next couple of years will see him be the top 10 player that we always expected him to be. I sure hope so.