Insomnia, who has it?

spindoc

I have a friend who is conducting a sleep study. He called me to participate. Not because I have insomnia, but just the opposite. I can fall asleep within 60 seconds at will, anywhere at nearly any time. So, the way he explains it, I'll wear a watch, similar to a fitbit and it will monitor my sleep, he says to activate it the moment I'm horizontal.

I really do feel for folks who struggle with sleep. It's difficult for me to understand because I've never dealt with it. The watch portion is only part one. I'll have to participate in the biochemical portion assuming the results of the whole are within normal limits. Grants from the government are nice, obviously.

So, who out there struggles with it? And do you have any methods/meds that help? just curious.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has some odd thing called restless leg syndrome. (No idea how you get diagnosed with that) For years I thought it was all in her head, but apparently it's a real thing. She never ever sleeps good, and in turn neither do I. Tried pretty much everything other than sleeping pills that knock you out.

Used to have terrible trouble sleeping. Not a lot worse than being dead tired, laying down, and, well, nothing. Just laying there wanting to sleep and knowing how tired you'll be in the morning.

Tried a bunch of stuff. Over the counter sleep aids made me groggy and hungover in the morning. Found some natural stuff that helped a little. Would sometimes mix it with one Advil PM. Establishing a routine helped some too.

Still not a head-to-pillow sleeper but things are much better.

I was diagnosed with sleep onset insomia when I was 16. Still deal with it. The long and short of it is that I lay in bed and my mind races when it gets quiet and there's nothing going on around me. I'm with pops...no more than 5 or 6 hours a night.

I am pretty much in the same boat although I have never been diagnosed. Also lights make it hard to sleep now after having had lasik last year. I found myself having to cover up clocks or cable boxes because the light from them is just too much when trying to get to sleep.

My wife has some odd thing called restless leg syndrome. (No idea how you get diagnosed with that) For years I thought it was all in her head, but apparently it's a real thing. She never ever sleeps good, and in turn neither do I. Tried pretty much everything other than sleeping pills that knock you out.

Absolutely real. My mom has it, as do I. Now with my wife being a pediatric neurologist, she's learned a significant amount more about it. There are about a dozen or so identified causes (including "you've just got restless leg syndrome"). Requip is a prescription that can help with it. There are a few other drugs out there for it as well. As far as the drugs go, though, they're daily maintenance-type drugs....meaning you have to take one every day whether or not you're noticing the symptoms. It's not a situation where if your legs are getting all jittery and acting up on you, you just go pop a Requip. You have to take them every day regardless.

One thing I've learned, personally, is that it particularly acts up when my feet are cold. So especially in the winter I'm conscious to always wear socks in the evening when I'm hanging around the house.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Wow, I'm so thankful I don't have those issues. I can't imagine the difficulties associated with it. And I take for granted the fact that I can just sleep at will. Anyone try melatonin?

Yea, but I never noticed a difference with it. It was an ingredient in a supplement I took though, and that one was more effective.

Wow, I'm so thankful I don't have those issues. I can't imagine the difficulties associated with it. And I take for granted the fact that I can just sleep at will. Anyone try melatonin?

When I remember to take it consistently, it helps a little. Sometimes it actually does help more than others. They suggest 1/2 to 1 mg for adults. I actually take (4) 0.3mg tablets...so 1.2 mg. I learned the hard way that taking too much can really mess with you, though.

You take it about 45 minutes before your intended bedtime, and the pills are a supplement to your naturally produced melatonin, which triggers your body to begin falling asleep. One thing a lot of people don't realize is that you're supposed to take it at the same time every single night, regardless of whether or not you're going to bed at the same time every single night. Using it properly regards using it with a regular routine in order to help give your body a regular routine. Therein lies my problem with it.

Absolutely real. My mom has it, as do I. Now with my wife being a pediatric neurologist, she's learned a significant amount more about it. There are about a dozen or so identified causes (including "you've just got restless leg syndrome"). Requip is a prescription that can help with it. There are a few other drugs out there for it as well. As far as the drugs go, though, they're daily maintenance-type drugs....meaning you have to take one every day whether or not you're noticing the symptoms. It's not a situation where if your legs are getting all jittery and acting up on you, you just go pop a Requip. You have to take them every day regardless.

One thing I've learned, personally, is that it particularly acts up when my feet are cold. So especially in the winter I'm conscious to always wear socks in the evening when I'm hanging around the house.

She actually does take that, but kinda of like you said if she doesn't time it just right when trying to fall asleep it's not that effective or not at all. We've never considered the cold feet thing. Could monitor that and see if it helps. Were trying to find a neurologist to see for it.

I'm the same way, she gets mad at me. :lol2:

Tried that as well, didn't help her.