Penguins 2 Predators 0 (NHL Stanley Cup Finals)

Bit of NBA-like tainting with another completely valid Pred goal wiped from the board in the first period.

The quick - and very lazy - whistle was bad because the official did not make any effort to adjust his view from the corner before killing the play. Just bad.

The Preds goal that was called off was a heart breaker; however, Nashville had 4 power plays, including a 5 on 3 situation and couldn't capitalize. Credit Pittsburgh there, as they did not break. I agree with @Bluegrasscard that you could see the writing on the wall after Nashville couldn't capitalize on subsequent opportunities. Overall, it was a good series and a great game to end on. Nashville will be a tough team in the years to come and they should stand proud.

^ I only caught the third period last night and that double-killing by Pittsburgh was really impressive. Absolutely fantastic stuff, especially around the edge, that kept them from getting good shots.

Congrats to the Penguins.

Pens had the toughest road to the cup and there was a lot of nail biting throughout the playoffs. I feel the Pens earned the title but agree that the Preds were a very formidable opponent and deserve congrats on both a great series and great run to the finals. As a fan I hope the Pens can three-peat but realize that it is a tall order that has never happened before.

I'm far from a hockey expert. Honestly last night was probably one of the handful of games I've watched this year. But the Predators got screwed. At least from an outsiders perspective. There are certain things in every sport that maybe from an outsiders perspective don't appear to be right unless you know the sport well. But I don't think that was the case here. Just a bad whistle and even worse call.

I'm far from a hockey expert. Honestly last night was probably one of the handful of games I've watched this year. But the Predators got screwed. At least from an outsiders perspective. There are certain things in every sport that maybe from an outsiders perspective don't appear to be right unless you know the sport well. But I don't think that was the case here. Just a bad whistle and even worse call.

In the most technical sense the call of dead puck by the official was valid. He lost sight of the puck from where he was and if the referee 'loses sight' of the puck after a shot he is supposed to blow it dead and go to a face off. There was a whistle before the put-back. And from the angle of the ref as he slowly glided from the corner he did not see the puck.

But the rule is there to protect the goalie, and as a father of goalies I appreciate it. Players will crash into goalies or hack at a puck lodged in padding, or chop at pucks covered by a goalie or underneath them. So the rule is to protect the goalie mainly. But the goalie was not pressured after the initial shot and the official should have aggressively gotten a better view and gotten behind the net quickly before blowing the play dead. His lack of hustle as an official is what caused this bad call.

I do think if the Preds had pulled it off last night the Pens win at home without a problem.

We have seen the Preds play in person in Nashville. Great place, great fans.

In the most technical sense the call of dead puck by the official was valid. He lost sight of the puck from where he was and if the referee 'loses sight' of the puck after a shot he is supposed to blow it dead and go to a face off. There was a whistle before the put-back. And from the angle of the ref as he slowly glided from the corner he did not see the puck.

But the rule is there to protect the goalie, and as a father of goalies I appreciate it. Players will crash into goalies or hack at a puck lodged in padding, or chop at pucks covered by a goalie or underneath them. So the rule is to protect the goalie mainly. But the goalie was not pressured after the initial shot and the official should have aggressively gotten a better view and gotten behind the net quickly before blowing the play dead. His lack of hustle as an official is what caused this bad call.

I do think if the Preds had pulled it off last night the Pens win at home without a problem.

We have seen the Preds play in person in Nashville. Great place, great fans.

I think you're right about the Pens winning at home anyways, but I still would've liked to see a Game 7. As a hockey outsider the play just didn't make sense. It seemed to be common sense to allow a goal there.

I watched with two buddies who know nothing of hockey and like the NBA. They will be watching playoff hockey from now on!!! They loved the energy and the crowd

Nothing beats playoff hockey. Always glad to see people giving the sport a chance. For future consideration, regular season games aren't too shabby either. :ylsuper: